Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2020, 09:22 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Looking for referrals on brake service

I need to have a brake job on my 2012 Canyon Star (2011 chassis) F53, 26000 axles, 22.5 wheel/tire.

I can do a brake job on a car, but I don't have jacks, and ability to remove/rplace tire/wheel to get at them.

I am in Tampa.

Does anyone recommend a place that will do this. I suppose I could go to Gator Ford and pay the piper....

Any other places you have used...

I'm willing to order pads and rotors and bring to a shop to install

Was hoping there was a place that specialized in school buses etc.

Thanks for any ideas...
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2020, 09:34 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd do some driving around and stop in some Mom and Pop shops. At least aim towards smaller places who might just work on about any truck chassis. Find one with some older technicians in hopes of getting one with more experience and who isn't afraid of the work.

Maybe check in at a few larger RV shops that might do some of that type work and ask one of their leading technicians if they can recommend a shop. Some RV shops don't try to do that type of work for various reasons. They may know of a shop they use for things they don't work on. You might find a shop that works on trucks but does not like the RV end of it and they can recommend a shop.

I have X student working all over this area. When I need to do breaks I'll stop in those shops and ask what is the best pad lining they currently use for their larger trucks. They will know because when a truck is setting in the shop it's not making $$$ for the owner. When a truck is back in for breaks in 2 months instead of 12 months heads will roll. They will pay good $$$ to keep those trucks on the road so the shops have to use the best product available and brake lining materials do change.

I have always found it strange that folks think they have to have work done only at big specialty truck shops.

I had my AC compressor changed by one of my students who has a nice very busy shop. He did it outside on the ground. It was under the extended warranty. It took about 90 minutes from start to finish.

A truck chassis is just that a truck chassis. It matters not if it's a delivery truck or an RV. Especially since it is work being done on the chassis wheels and not on the inside or RV specific stuff.

One added point. I have always been a supporter of having the rotors machined at a minimum. Replaced if they have a lot of miles. Here's some reasons why!

The rotor surface is smooth. It's covered with break lining material and may be warped or uneven. How can that rotor provide a good rough even surface to properly break in new pads???

When new pads are installed the friction created in those first several hundred miles is used to impart brake material from the pads onto the rotors. If the rotor is already smooth from a lot of miles how in the heck can it create enough friction to do the required breaking in or burnishing of the new pads and rotors?

The proper break in temperatures can't be reached so therefore proper break in can't occur. The coefficient of friction between the rotor surface and the pads is vastly different.

You may already know this but!! If you don't believe me just google, "Proper burnishing technique for new break pads." "How to properly burnish new break pads?"
Old 01-24-2020, 11:48 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
I'd do some driving around and stop in some Mom and Pop shops. At least aim towards smaller places who might just work on about any truck chassis. Find one with some older technicians in hopes of getting one with more experience and who isn't afraid of the work.

Maybe check in at a few larger RV shops that might do some of that type work and ask one of their leading technicians if they can recommend a shop. Some RV shops don't try to do that type of work for various reasons. They may know of a shop they use for things they don't work on. You might find a shop that works on trucks but does not like the RV end of it and they can recommend a shop.

I have X student working all over this area. When I need to do breaks I'll stop in those shops and ask what is the best pad lining they currently use for their larger trucks. They will know because when a truck is setting in the shop it's not making $$$ for the owner. When a truck is back in for breaks in 2 months instead of 12 months heads will roll. They will pay good $$$ to keep those trucks on the road so the shops have to use the best product available and brake lining materials do change.

I have always found it strange that folks think they have to have work done only at big specialty truck shops.

I had my AC compressor changed by one of my students who has a nice very busy shop. He did it outside on the ground. It was under the extended warranty. It took about 90 minutes from start to finish.

A truck chassis is just that a truck chassis. It matters not if it's a delivery truck or an RV. Especially since it is work being done on the chassis wheels and not on the inside or RV specific stuff.

One added point. I have always been a supporter of having the rotors machined at a minimum. Replaced if they have a lot of miles. Here's some reasons why!

The rotor surface is smooth. It's covered with break lining material and may be warped or uneven. How can that rotor provide a good rough even surface to properly break in new pads???

When new pads are installed the friction created in those first several hundred miles is used to impart brake material from the pads onto the rotors. If the rotor is already smooth from a lot of miles how in the heck can it create enough friction to do the required breaking in or burnishing of the new pads and rotors?

The proper break in temperatures can't be reached so therefore proper break in can't occur. The coefficient of friction between the rotor surface and the pads is vastly different.

You may already know this but!! If you don't believe me just google, "Proper burnishing technique for new break pads." "How to properly burnish new break pads?"
Im in Melbourne fl and use either Glens tires (does extensive truck and RV tires and brakes ( or Sicilias truck repair. Excellent shop with older knowledgeable mechanics.
Both fair prices. They only use the best pads and rotors.
The repack and use new seals where needed.[emoji41][emoji3]
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, service