Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #1

Loss of air conditioner air with road inclines

We own a 2003 CONDOR B-plus by R-Vision on a Ford E-450 chassis with the V-10 engine. We are very pleased with the engine performance and with the overall floor plan of the unit. My question is why do we loose AC air from the dash vents every time we come to an incline on the road. As soon as we return to level road the AC air returns through the dash vents again. I have been told that there is a vacuum leak some where in the engine compartment. Aside from a vacuum leak, is there any kind of vacuum booster pump that just may not be working properly? The engine has 43,783 miles and runs great with plenty of power, even while pulling our Wrangler jeep. Any advise on what to check will be greatly appreciated.
chacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho View Post
We own a 2003 CONDOR B-plus by R-Vision on a Ford E-450 chassis with the V-10 engine. We are very pleased with the engine performance and with the overall floor plan of the unit. My question is why do we loose AC air from the dash vents every time we come to an incline on the road. As soon as we return to level road the AC air returns through the dash vents again. I have been told that there is a vacuum leak some where in the engine compartment. Aside from a vacuum leak, is there any kind of vacuum booster pump that just may not be working properly? The engine has 43,783 miles and runs great with plenty of power, even while pulling our Wrangler jeep. Any advise on what to check will be greatly appreciated.
I had the same problem. Seems rodents had chewed small holes in the vacuum line. Ford fixed mine so I'm not sure the line was located.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #3

There is a loss of vacuum somewhere. Can be in a vacuum line somewhere. A mechanic can find it. If it's not a line then it can also be in a crack in a head or intake and vacuum is escaping when it's under torque. I have a dodge ram that does the same thing. It's in the head on that one. Since it's a 1999 I just drive it.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:34 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Another vote for vacuum leak somewhere. I searched off and on for a month on my Damon before locating the culprit. A previous owner/mechanic had "fixed" a leak in one of the hard plastic vacuum lines in the engine compartment by running it through a piece of rubber vacuum hose. Looked perfect except the rubber hose was slightly too big and vacuum leaked around the sides of the original plastic tubing. Check all connections to ensure they are tight fitting and hoses/tubes are not cracked. Good Luck, it may try your patience a bit!
mus289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:35 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Vacuum leak. Loss of vacuum causes dampeners to fail to the defrost position. Next time it stops blowing out the dash check the defrost vents.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:11 AM   #6

Depends on the incline. At a certain point of engine load the compressor should turn off especailly when the engine downshifts or engine load gets somewhere past 96% or so. It could alse be a vacuum leak tripping the cutout early.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:07 AM   #7

this could help
Poor Man's Vacuum Leak Detector - Car Talk
Old 12-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Depends on the incline. At a certain point of engine load the compressor should turn off especailly when the engine downshifts or engine load gets somewhere past 96% or so. It could alse be a vacuum leak tripping the cutout early.
That doesn't shut off the blower or stop the air from coming out the dash vents, only disengages the compressor clutch.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Another way to find the leak is to spray Carb Cleaner on the vacuum lines as the engine is running. A vacuum leak will suck the cleaner into the intake and the RPM will go up. After repairing leak, you also might want to take a trip to a junk yard and pick up a vacuum reservoir. Adding capacity to your vacuum will help insure your heat/defrost flaps stay where you want them on grades.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:29 PM   #10

Thanks to all who took the time to suggest how to possibly find a vacuum leak. I will try to use the information given and hopefully I will be able to located the leak. Thanks again to all.
chacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:14 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Though you can buy vacuum pumps, there should not be any boosters on that engine. They are not needed.

You can also buy a vacuum tank (NAPA sells one) but again with that engine you should not need it.

You should, however, find the leak and fix it, There are three reasons for this.

1: IT is annoying you (Biggest one right now)
2: If it gets worse it can, depending on where it is leaking, affect engine performance
3: And engine life.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
That doesn't shut off the blower or stop the air from coming out the dash vents, only disengages the compressor clutch.

Chuck
Chboone is correct. The PCM controls the A/C clutch relay. It will shut off the compressor when the gas pedal is at a certain percent. It does not affect the blower motor or vent positions though.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner