Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Loss of turn signals and flashers

Recently, while in a heavy rainstorm, I decided to turn on my emergency flashers, which didn't work. My turn signals also quit working at the same time. When I got home, I tested all the related fuses, to no avail, so I bought the $50 flasher you can only get at the Ford dealer. That didn't fix the problem either. I discovered that, while all the lights function, you can't even flash the turn signals manually using the stem on the column. It sounds like a power problem, but where? any ideas would be appreciated. I have a 1996 Damon Ultrasport on a Ford F-Super Duty chassis.
jluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If even holding the signal stem down fails to light a light it would seem that your problem is one of loss of a power connection. Do you have the schematics for the rig? If not you might have to start with with the signal switch and work backwards with a test light.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Are you saying you have a F53 (class "A") or a cut-away (class "C")?
Also what is the tenth digit of your VIN?
subford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Depending on the vehicle there is either one fuse that feeds all the flashing lights and POSSIBLY the brake lights, or one fuse for the flashing lights and one for the brakes. or... In the case of Workhorse, One for the turn signals and one for the brakes and 4-way flashers.

Now.. here's the rub.. I drive a Workhorse so this information is generic to many, and Specific to what I drive.

You said: "I tested all the fuses"

Two possible issues.

I had an electrical problem,, like you I tested all (And I mean ALL) the fuses, all THREE fuse boxes/blocks (Problem #1 Multiple fuse boxes)

Turned out it was a circuit breaker on the first block I tested, I obtained the wiring diagrams, Did some testing and investigation, and a great light quickly dawned.

Now back to #1.. I blew my brake light 4-way flasher fuse.

Thankfully the day AFTER I discovered the unmarked fuse box (nothing on the cover at all save a catalog number) it was hiding in I got lucky.

I won't bore you with the location of it, since you drive a different rig it's likely "Elsewhere" by my standard.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke View Post
Recently, while in a heavy rainstorm, I decided to turn on my emergency flashers, which didn't work. My turn signals also quit working at the same time. When I got home, I tested all the related fuses, to no avail, so I bought the $50 flasher you can only get at the Ford dealer. That didn't fix the problem either. I discovered that, while all the lights function, you can't even flash the turn signals manually using the stem on the column. It sounds like a power problem, but where? any ideas would be appreciated. I have a 1996 Damon Ultrasport on a Ford F-Super Duty chassis.

You might want to start looking for a loose ground wire. Had some similar issues with signals on our coach and turned out it was loose screw that attaches the ground wire in back to the frame..just a thought

Good luck and keep us posted on the fix..

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:06 PM   #6

flashers

Thanks to all for their input. I have the F53 Class A chassis. When I said I checked all fuses, I meant all that I thought pertinent according to the few diagrams I have. there is actually an Intelec power dist center in a box in front of my batteries that I didn't check. I will do that next as well as checking for loose connections and bad grounds. Didn't notice any "breakers' in the boxes I looked in, nor were any shown in the diagrams, but perhaps I didn't know what I was looking for. Again, thanks to all, will head over there tomorrow to do some research, will post my findings.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can't give you a full description of breakers as there are so many variations it is amazing.. But a trip to an auto parts store might help.

Usually they are a metal can that fits in the space normally occupied by a fuse.. Some are "Thicker" some Taller but they fit in a fuse slot.

You should also check to see if your brake lights are working.

There is a connector somewhere near the steering column on modern vehicles, In fact one of teh bundles goes up the column (the other off under the dash) check it as well.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
More than likely you have a dirty Multi-Function Switch and you need to clean it.

Take a look at this thread:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/ford-...ls-109450.html

/
Old 01-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #9

turn signal

would a bad multi-funtion switch result in no emergency flashers as well? someone asked if the turn signal flasher and not the emergency flasher was replaced, are there two flashers? I did use the ford flasher, hence the $50 part cost. going to go play with it some more tomorrow.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Take a look at the wiring diagram I PMed you.
Yes it can cause the problem you are having. But make sure you have voltage on both sides of the two fuses #7 & #9 with a test light and not a meter.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:57 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I has a similar problem, if I am understanding. What I found in my case was that there are 2 flashers for signals and another for emergency flashers. Replaced one for left turn signal and put spare in tool box.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #12

flashers

I was only able to find one flasher assembly, replaced it to no avail. got the multi funtion switch off, brought it home and did find a good bit of corrosion inside which I have cleaned. I am now in the process of trying to get it back together, I may be online looking for a new switch!
Old 01-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #13

turn signals

I was able to get the multi switch assembly apart, cleaned and back together, but had ordered a new assembly from carpartswholesale on ebay for $45, less than the cost of the flasher at Fords. Installed the assemble and everything works great. thanks to all for their input. So now I have a spare multi switch assemply and flasher!
Old 01-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #14

When my (2001) F-53 was a year old....a bad rainstorm on the way to Dover, Delaware. Went to turn left....every time the LEFT turn signal flashed, the rear-view TV monitor went on (and off). Two days later, things dried out...and on the way back home, all was well,.
However....took it to my RV dealer (under warranty) the guy seemed familiar with it. Down by the reciever, there is a bundle of wires all taped up. He said they got wet and caused the problem. He then proceeded to put what he called "weather proof" tape around this bundle. Here is is 11 years later...no more of that problem.
jerseyjim is offline   Reply With Quote