Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2022, 07:56 PM   #1

Lost tail and marker lights.

Hello again community,

The marker lights of my 97’ F53 Bounder are old and dull so I decided to update them to LED. Of course I thought that I was going to tackle down this project in one day and it took me a whole day to replace just the front marker lights as I had to fight against rusty nuts and spinning screws.

Anyway, everything was going perfectly until this afternoon that I started to pull the marker caps and for some reason I lost power on front and rear marker lights plus tail lights.
For some reason the front running lights are working and the tail lights works if I press the brake, weird.

I was reading that the marker lights are wired in series so I put it back the two rear marker lights that I already removed to see if I was able to get power with the circuit closed but still nothing. Also already checked hood chassis fuse box and under the dash board for the other fuse box and all fuses seems to be fine.

Hopefully somebody can throw me some light here because literally I can see the light in the tunnel.

Thanks!
Juano is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2022, 08:30 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Do you have a multimeter? Check for power coming in to the marker light. It's possible you blew the fuse for the lights. I'd start there.
Old 04-19-2022, 08:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
Do you have a multimeter? Check for power coming in to the marker light. It's possible you blew the fuse for the lights. I'd start there.
Iíve a multimeter and I already checked voltage on the lights terminal and nothing.
Also I already checked the big fuse on the chassis fuse box that my manual says itís the one for the lights and itís working.
Old 04-19-2022, 08:48 PM   #4

Since the lights come on when you press the brake getting power is not the problem. I suspect a couple wires have been shorted together- either by a screw or at the light fixture connectors.
There should be enough slack in the wires to pull each of the sockets and a length of wire out of the holes to physically inspect for compromised insulation or corroded connectors.
Old 04-20-2022, 10:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Since the lights come on when you press the brake getting power is not the problem. I suspect a couple wires have been shorted together- either by a screw or at the light fixture connectors.
There should be enough slack in the wires to pull each of the sockets and a length of wire out of the holes to physically inspect for compromised insulation or corroded connectors.
Thanks for your input. Sadly as the rear cap is under the roof coat that I applied I canít have access to the wires. When I remove the fixture all what Iíve is 1 wire and 2 screws, so not really handy for my situation.

Iím thinking to take a hole saw and drill a hole on the center of each light so I canít get access to both wires and see whatís going on.
Iíll need to make sure I seal this hole after but I think itíll be doable with some spray foam and a nice bead of caulk.
Old 04-20-2022, 10:33 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Look for lose ground
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 11:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillbox View Post
Look for lose ground
Do you think that it can be a ground issue? Front lights are working and tail lights working with brake. Every marker light was working until I start to remove the rear marker lights.

If it was a ground issue I shouldnít light at all or Iím wrong?
Old 04-21-2022, 12:25 PM   #8

Lost marker and tail lights

Hi there,

Spent the last 3 hours reading posts about this topic but canít find an answer for my issue.

I was in the process of marker lights update to LED, did you front and sides and as soon as I pull 2 rear marker fixtures I lost power and all marker lights plus tail lights.
I asked few people I know and everybody is saying bad ground but my tail lights work if I press the brake pedal so must be something else. Also to confirm is not a bad ground I run a long wire from my negative lead on my chassis battery to my marker lights and I donít have any power.

I already checked my schematics and manual and Iím only able to find one fuse related with marker lights, is a 60 amp (photo attached) maxi fuse located in the chassis fuse block but I checked this fuse twice and itís fine.

image uploader

Please help, this half day upgrade is now a 3 day nightmare that Iím trying to fix to travel safe.
Old 04-22-2022, 10:42 AM   #9

Just under your plier handle there in your picture looks like a 20A fuse for the markers listed.
Old 04-22-2022, 11:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytimeyet View Post
Just under your plier handle there in your picture looks like a 20A fuse for the markers listed.
Yes it is, and I already checked it as well as every fuse in the 2 fuse boxes that I've, one on the engine and the other under dash. Can't find any blown fuse.

Old 04-22-2022, 01:26 PM   #11

Just reporting that I found the issue, for some reason I had some debris in the fuse holder and after cleaning it everything is working normal, thanks!

Tags
light, lights, tail lights