Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2015, 09:38 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lost tire and Wheel has us stranded in Vegas...

on Friday evening while DW was driving, we suffered a right front blowout and loss of the tire to parts unsafe for retrieval. The old girl (hope she doesn't read this) coolly brought the rig to an even stop on the shoulder. Pretty steep decline past that. The rim looks like aluminum hamburger. Pretty sure it's a loss too. We are now stuck in Las Vegas at a nice Park where Good Sam had us towed to. Problem now is finding a wheel. Ford wants over 1500 bucks for one. We may have found an equivalent from Alcoa for 400 per. Will buy two I think. Other problem is we can't find a replacement XRV in 255x80x22.5. Had to settle for XZE in same size. Since. It is a different tread design and harsher ride, we opted for two. One for each front hub. I'm beginning to understand that the 22.5 x 7.5 rim used by Ford may be a real bear to find at a less than grand theft price. We aren't full-timers and we're heading to our SoCal home to collect grandson for a trip to the eastern historical sites. May miss the trip.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2015, 11:01 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry to hear this.
Do you have a tpms?
I see your coach is new, so i am wondering what might have happened, and if a TPMS might have helped.

Did you have much chassis damage?

Regards,
Dan
Old 06-17-2015, 01:41 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lost tire and Wheel has us stranded in Vegas...

Well....I do have a TST 510 system.it was malfunctioning by giving false lows on both inside duals. Removing and reinstalling those sensors seemed to correct the problem however, the lcd screen was difficult for me to see and DW was afraid I would crash while trying to read it. Only women are able to multi task while driving......brush hair, refresh lip gloss, dust the entire dash area....etc. anyway, I turned it off. 100 miles later the tire blew. That sensor is gone. Will try for inside the tire sensors next. Whole new system for that. No other damage noted except the ABS light is on, Ford says it may reset after a few miles after a blow out occurs. Here's hoping...

Old 06-17-2015, 11:52 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Update....left Vegas this morning. Within a few miles, I again got the low pressure alarms on both inside duals. Stopped at Valley Wells Rest Area. Checked inside duals. Pressure was ok. The sensors read correctly when I reinstalled them. I'm thinking I need a repeater even though it's not that far back to the rear axle. Already using the longer (T shaped) antenna. TSTs manual is woefully deficient. Website is no better. I'll send an email and see what happens.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:28 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a TST510 also. No problems reading any of the coach tires and the toad tires. Where did you mount the extended range antenna? I have mine stuck to the top of the driver's side window. Also what do you have your pressure alarms set at?
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise1949 View Post
... Problem now is finding a wheel. Ford wants over 1500 bucks for one. We may have found an equivalent from Alcoa for 400 per. Will buy two I think. Other problem is we can't find a replacement XRV in 255x80x22.5. Had to settle for XZE in same size....

Did you check your insurance, they may cover the rim as collateral damage, but likely not the tire.

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:38 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Michelin

Michelin rep has offered to help with the new tire but not the rim. Contacted Good Sam Insurance. Cost of the rim is likely lower than our insurance deductible. Good Sams Tire Service folks (Transit Pro) seems to have provided the alloy wheel at the same cost as the steel over sized one we already paid for. I'm satisified.

Tags
gas