Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2014, 07:07 PM   #1

Manual Transfer Pump

In preparation to change my own oil etc on a '07 Fleetwood Southwind 32 I picked up a Fumoto drain plug. After having a look at the location of the oil filler pipe it seems to me I'm going to need some type of manual oil transfer pump to get the oil in.

If this is the case I'm looking for a recommendation for a pump.....Harbor Freight?

Thanks in advance....

Ron
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2014, 09:24 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by volvik View Post
In preparation to change my own oil etc on a '07 Fleetwood Southwind 32 I picked up a Fumoto drain plug. After having a look at the location of the oil filler pipe it seems to me I'm going to need some type of manual oil transfer pump to get the oil in.

If this is the case I'm looking for a recommendation for a pump.....Harbor Freight?

Thanks in advance....

Ron

Ron
What I used on our last MH was a garden sprayer. You can get them at Lowes, Home Depot or any garden supply place. They come in different sizes, I used the two gallon size, just cut the spray nozzle off so the oil will flow more freely. They have manual pumps so you may have to pump up the pressure a few times during the oil change. I plan on using the same system on this MH
Tom
Old 03-28-2014, 09:29 PM   #3

Can you easily remove the dog house? You can just turn the extended filler pipe to remove then use a trans funnel to fill.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:58 AM   #4

Ok...for the minimal investment I think I'll give the quick and dirty manual pump first and see how that works out. Thanks..
Old 04-02-2014, 08:42 AM   #5

Doh!!

Well upon closer inspection with better light it appears you can get a quart of oil above the filler pipe....phew!

I took the coach into a local Ford dealer yesterday to get them to do the lube and oil just to ensure I wasn't missing anything for the future when I do it. I also had the fellow install the Fumoto drain plug I had.

Fortunately the experience at this dealer was nothing short of impressive which made for a nice change from visiting the local RV dealer for some warranty work recently.

I'll happily go back there next year for the trans fluid change.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:45 PM   #6

You can get a quart bottle up over the filler tube. I keep a quart oil bottle around and refill it out of the 5-qt bottles I usually buy for oil changes. It's slow, but it gets the job done.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:12 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi, I used a section of old garden hose fastened with a hose clamp. I can feed the hose down into the fill tube and I plastic zip tie the funnel to the wiper blade base, then I stand on a step stool and slowly add the oil. John (trashman)

Tags
manual