Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2019, 06:57 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
More ABS Problems

I took my coach to a Service Center with decent reviews to determine my problem with the ABS light staying on. It's been there two weeks.

They determined both rear sensors had heat damage. They ordered both sensors from Ford and both are on back-order.

. I contacted the Parts "guy" at the service center to get the numbers and told him I was going to do a search of the part numbers and he immediately stated ABS parts had to be OEM by law. I seriously doubt that as the aftermarket is full of ABS parts.

The part numbers are 5104493AA and 5104492AA, my Chassis is the 24/26000 and has the individual rears versus the more common single center "banjo" mount. If you Google those numbers they show-up as AC Chrysler parts, weird. I did however get a hit on one of them at Advance Auto as a Dorman part.

Any first hand info you can furnish would be deeply appreciated, part of the problem appears to be the "rarer" 24/26K chassis.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2019, 07:35 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rock auto shows rear abs sensors for 2008 24/26k chassis. Looks like about $45 each.

MOTORCRAFT BRAB230 {#8U9Z2C190A}

MOTORCRAFT BRAB262 {#8U9Z2C191A}
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:39 AM   #3

call a Ford dealer or use one of the online parts searches.
places I have ordered on line Lakeland Ford
Tasca Ford.

use your VIN to search for parts

https://parts.lakelandford.com/

https://www.tascaparts.com/
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:59 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the input.

I had looked at Rock Auto previously and they only showed one of the 2 needed. However this AM both show available and I have ordered both.

AutoZone had one of the same part number.

Tasca also had availability on both at a higher price.

The dealership that has my RV has only located one of the 2 using their normal Ford source. Their part number is completely different but the parts I ordered are FORD Motorcraft items.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:05 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Update; Dealer received both sensors yesterday and called in the PM to inform me the ABS was fixed and test driven, all is well.

I have both sensors coming and will keep them as spares. I have no idea why the originals failed so I will keep these as spares.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:47 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for reporting back.

Quote:
I have both sensors coming and will keep them as spares.
Of course you know, now that you have spares the originals will NEVER, EVER, fail. :-)
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:09 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Thanks for reporting back.

Of course you know, now that you have spares the originals will NEVER, EVER, fail. :-)

I know it always works, apparently the smart thing to do is buy 2 identical MH's.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:30 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Back in a little less than 2 years with ABS problems again. The sad story starts now.
We have only driven the MH about 3000 miles since the above repair history.
I took the MH out of storage (covered rental unit) and started home with it for a total clean-up. We visited the unit regularly to start the engines and renew the interior DampRid products to prevent mildew. I took note that when we backed the unit outside to run engine and generator etc.. One thing that bothered me was brake noise when we backed out to run. I assumed it was rust on the disc brakes. This would be about one revolution of the wheels.
This is a 20 mile trip to home and all was fine for about 10 miles then the MH brakes seemed to drag some what, when almost home there was noticable drag and the ABS light came on. Got home and checked each wheel for heat, touching by hand 3 of the 4 was very hot. Drove the unit yesterday for about 25 miles and everything is normal except the ABS is on and I don't see damage. I have both sensors for the rears but I have no clue on how to remove the existing sensors. Any help or experience to share please help out.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:55 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Why would you think it's the sensors again? What does a scan show of the system? When was the last time you flushed the brake fluid? You could have a hose that has collapsed internally. I'd be looking at the entire brake system
Old 05-02-2021, 09:18 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the reply

The brakes were very hot, both fronts, and passenger rear, likely damage was done to ABS sensor(s). Not sure how to get sensor out of its mount. Brake fluid was changed July of 2019. Is there a way to scan other than going to a shop. The ABS sensor checks for rotation of wheel or in some cases rear axle rotation.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:08 AM   #11

I had an issue with my sensors on my Wrangler. Went to AutoZone and got one of their "loaner" scanners. Plugged it in at the house and it instantly said "right rear ABS speed sensor" or something like that. Pretty easy.

AutoZone (and probably others) won't actually connect the scanner or read the codes. They only do that for the check engine light. They say there is liability involved if they do the ABS scan.

Also, my AZ had several scanners but only 1 that would check ABS.

I wouldn't be changing any sensors until I determined one is bad and I found the reason for the dragging brakes that caused the overheating issue. I always tell folks they need to drive the motorhome regularly. Simply starting it doesn't really do a whole lot toward keeping it in running condition.

Regarding: "I contacted the Parts "guy" at the service center to get the numbers and told him I was going to do a search of the part numbers and he immediately stated ABS parts had to be OEM by law.", I think the Ford parts guy confused Ford company policy with the law.
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:34 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks, very good info, I'll follow up on finding a source to read the system. Does it just plug into the obvious under dash connection or is the ABS source a separate connector. Any info on removing the sensor at the wheel, don't know how to remove the sensor. On the 24/26000 chassis it appears to just slide into a socket at the wheel. If someone can answer how to remove and replace that would be very helpful the 2 new ones "look" like a slip fit. Trying to be careful those things are like Gold new or it the current are usable.

This forum has always been great. I have not spend much time here for the last 19/20 months with all the fear (mine) of travel and so many of the Florida Keys spots were closed up.
Old 05-02-2021, 11:19 AM   #13

I have a 2012 f53 chassis with a 2013 thor challenger on it. the abs sensors are easy to remove because i did it to clean them. they are magnets and any metal debris that comes off the brakes (rust particles) stick to them.
hardest part is crawling under there to get to them.
jeanluc001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 02:15 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks, I'll get under there again and see if I can get the 2 rears out for starters.

Tags
abs, ems, problem, problems