Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2016, 03:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
IMHO, You could use semi or full synthetic oil and change it every 5,000 or 6,000 or 7,000 and more miles and never have any issue that Ford would consider to be YOUR FAULT regarding a warranty claim.

Still not sure why the big fuss. If SEMI-SYNTHETIC is good (and recommended) why wouldn't FULL SYNTHETIC be as good or better???

Can anybody answer that question????

I can't remember any time ever reading anything concerning anybody who was denied an engine re-build claim because they used 5W-20 instead of 5W-30 oil or vise-versa.

What's the big FUSS. Just use Mobil 1 (full syn) 5W-20 or 5W-30 and be done with it. They both start out as 5 weight oils and one gets to 30 viscosity and one only gets to a 20 viscosity after it reaches its operating temperature.

Five weight has proven that it will reach critical areas of the bearings faster than 10 viscosity oils. This is a concern if starting in colder climates. We don't live in a real cold climate so I could use 10 weight but I still use 5. That won't hurt a bit. If I lived up north then I'd use the 5W-20 or 30.
The original question was why the owners' manual for 2017 doesn't reference 5W-30 oil. Full synthetic motor oils make sense IF you extend the drain interval to recover the higher initial cost of the oil. If you choose to go that route, used oil analysis will tell you how far you can extend the drain. Otherwise you're throwing away the chief benefit to synthetics.

In a motor home application few people run enough miles in a year to see a payback.

AFA warranty goes (not sure where this question came up) , Ford will kick out claims that show signs of lack of lubrication...overwhelmingly caused by lack of oil. Period. Keep it between the marks on the dipstick, buy oil that meets Ford spec, and change it when Ford tells you to. Life will be good.

For serious motor oil fanatics there is BobIsTheOilGuy. 95% of what's posted starts out IMO...but 5% is from some very knowledgeable people.

Still don't know the answer to the original question but I suspect it's a printing issue.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2016, 03:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowboat View Post
Another change in 2016 is the oil change interval. The interval between oil changes is 6K miles unless towing. When towing the interval is 4.5K.

This is probably a result of running synthetic blend oil and maybe because of the six speed transmissionin has lowered the engine operating RPM's.

Safe travels. JD
For 2017 the drain is now 7500 miles or 6 months. For trailer towing it's 5,000 miles or 6 months.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:53 PM   #17

I've read my manual for my 2016 and the best I can tell if the label has "Premium" and "Synthetic" in the name you can use either 20w or 30w and you're good to go.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:34 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
oil

I use castrol edge full synthetic 5/30 in my 2011 chassis motorhome and change oil twice a year or 5000 miles. I use castrol edge full synthetic 10/30 in my generator. I have standardized on WIX oil filter for all of my vehicles
aviator37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford