Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2009, 07:39 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
I just got my MH back after having to replace the engine twice due to overheating problems. Problem was solved but I just noticed the MH leaning to the passenger side. The MH was towed 6 times during the problem. 2 of them long distances. I haven’t been able to get under it yet for a look see.

My question is what I should look for. What could have been damaged during repairs or during towing to make it lean? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2009, 08:30 AM   #2

TWO ENGINES!!! How many miles? Wow, what caused the overheating problem.

Not sure what to look for on suspension, but would do a visual to see if springs and other components just don't look right. Perhaps bent, especially at the tow truck hookup points.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:32 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Collapsed air bag or broken spring. My guess would be an air bag.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally posted by bdpreece:
Collapsed air bag or broken spring. My guess would be an air bag.
You are on a Ford Chassis forum, where did the air bag come from?
Old 02-06-2009, 10:57 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by RoadRohrers:
TWO ENGINES!!! How many miles? Wow, what caused the overheating problem.

Not sure what to look for on suspension, but would do a visual to see if springs and other components just don't look right. Perhaps bent, especially at the tow truck hookup points.
RoadRohrers here is the link to my odessy
Overheating

Thanks for the replies. bdpreece, I don't have airbags so springs seem like the candidate.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:37 AM   #6

Read it and am amazed at the lack of monitoring of the cat converter. Seems since they have a plug and they have a sensor and they have the computer programmed for other vehicles in the fleet, they would not install a dummy. Wonder how many sensors they could've installed for the price of your two engines and related costs.

Thanks for sharing and scaring.

Richard
Old 02-07-2009, 03:27 AM   #7

FAKRWEE": Man you have had one heck of a trip. I would almost bet money on a broken spring leaf or maybe entire spring, probably on the rear. May you get a good run soon.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:22 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
How much does it lean measured at the wheel wells on each side front and back?
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:45 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. bdpreece, I don't have airbags so springs seem like the candidate.
Sorry every coach I have ever owned since the 80s has been on a chevy chassis up untill now. Each had ride right air bags. I did a search on 2007 Suncruiser and saw references to air bags so assumed all had them. Guess not.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:23 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by John Hilley:
How much does it lean measured at the wheel wells on each side front and back?
Hi John. I'm off work this week so I'll be able to take a good look at it. I also have to wait till the rain stops. Yea, it rains in So. Ca.

No problem Brian, thanks for the replies.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:47 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Better make hay while the sun shines, look like rain SAT.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:13 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Well the sun shone today so I went out and made hay. Got underneath the MH for look see and also measured how much of a lean. The lean to the passenger side is around 2”. I noticed only 2 problems underneath that can or not be related to the lean.

1-I have 2 antisway bars in the rear, the factory, and an IPD. The factory bar broke the clamp on the passenger side and is unattached to the pumpkin. The IPD is ok. I don’t know if this could affect the leaning.

2-I checked the leaf springs and the one in rear on the passenger side is missing the Teflon shimmy that goes at the rear junction where the leaf is attached to and makes contact with first leaf.

These were the only 2 things I found out of the ordinary. All the leaf springs seemed to be in correct place and all bolts tightened. I wonder if between the broken brackets on the antisway bar and the missing shimmy, both on the passenger side, this might be the problem.

Could these 2 problems be the culprit?

Thanks
Tom
Old 02-11-2009, 12:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally posted by Fakrwee:
Well the sun shone today so I went out and made hay. Got underneath the MH for look see and also measured how much of a lean. The lean to the passenger side is around 2”. I noticed only 2 problems underneath that can or not be related to the lean.

1-I have 2 antisway bars in the rear, the factory, and an IPD. The factory bar broke the clamp on the passenger side and is unattached to the pumpkin. The IPD is ok. I don’t know if this could affect the leaning.

2-I checked the leaf springs and the one in rear on the passenger side is missing the Teflon shimmy that goes at the rear junction where the leaf is attached to and makes contact with first leaf.

These were the only 2 things I found out of the ordinary. All the leaf springs seemed to be in correct place and all bolts tightened. I wonder if between the broken brackets on the antisway bar and the missing shimmy, both on the passenger side, this might be the problem.

Could these 2 problems be the culprit?

Thanks
Tom
Tom,

That is a start and repairing these items may resolve the lean however the forces that broke the bar mount may have bent the springs also.

Aggressive tow truck driver, bad roads or both while being towed probably contributed.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:40 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Another factor might be water and propane tanks. On mine, my fresh water and propane are both on the passenger side and the holding tanks are on the driver side. So when fresh water and propane are full and holding tanks are empty, there is a huge weight differential driver side to passenger side. My height difference is 1 1/2". The AirLift springs do a nice job of leveling and I believe control in windy driving.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote