Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2021, 03:20 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW22r View Post
Have a 2019 Minnie Winnie on a Ford E 350 Chassis. I will be pulling a toad and use the tow/haul mode when in use. Heading out west and wondering if you can still downshift to a lower gear even when in the tow/haul mode? How low a gear do you go and at what level of rpm's do you start to get concerned and need to back off?
Lots of advice here.....

My best rule of thumb when going down a hill is to start at the top of the hill at the speed you want to travel down the hill. If you want to go down at 45mph, that's where you start and using the Tow/Haul and light brake applications, you will maintain the 45mph with no problem. I never manual shift. And having Stay and Play toad brake is great - I have the same system and never know the tow is behind me.

Do not use your cruise control going up or down, (unless its an adaptive system for down hill - and even then I am not sure) going up the engine will do it's best to maintain whatever speed you have it set for, this is when you get 5K rpms. You need to control the speed up & down and your rpms should stay within 3.5 & 4K heading either way through the pass.

......and one last thought - the engine has a cut off if the revs get too high, so I'm told - hope to never test that.....! LOL

Go have fun on your trip - the west is a special place...

g
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2021, 05:04 PM   #30

I've been over the Rockies twice in an F53 chassis with the same transmission. T/H feels like an engine brake and effectively it is. Don't worry about turning 4000+ rpm... there's no fuel delivery at that point.
Don't ride the brakes and start your decent at a conservative speed. You can always go faster if it's comfortable... discovering you should have started slower is never fun.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 03:04 PM   #31

All the above is good advice, but the most important thing is to keep your speed under control at all times. Don't let it get away.
bird6465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 03:44 PM   #32

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW22r View Post
Have a 2019 Minnie Winnie on a Ford E 350 Chassis. I will be pulling a toad and use the tow/haul mode when in use. Heading out west and wondering if you can still downshift to a lower gear even when in the tow/haul mode? How low a gear do you go and at what level of rpm's do you start to get concerned and need to back off?
Use Tow/Haul. Learn everything you can about it and it will serve you well going through the Rockies, Sierra Nevadas and the Coastal Range.

When you start going down just let your foot off the gas. It will down shift for you. You may have to tap the break a time or two and with each tap tow haul will down shift.

It is safe to drive in Tow/Haul
Tow/Haul mode alters the shift schedule, not the actual gear ratios, but this makes it easier to get a kickdown (to a lower gear) and may hold you in a lower gear longer as you accelerate. No, there is no problem with driving it all the time in Tow/Haul mode, if that's what you like.
Don1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 03:55 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
The great thing about a Toad is you can disconnect it and let your co-pilot drive it down the hill (or up) behind you removing that extra weight.

Also, when I do use the brakes on a downhill I try to not let the RV gain a lot of speed in the straights between corners so there's not a lot of speed to scrub off in the corner. Slow in and slow out of all corners.

I'll be driving up and down Colorado's Wolf Creek Pass on Sept 12th. I like to get mentally ready for the trip. That one is hairy enough that they have Highway Patrol at the top of the pass and pull RVs over to give us an info sheet and check to be sure we are aware of the process.
Old 08-05-2021, 04:28 PM   #34

Spent the vast majority of my 82 years in -- I mean IN -- the Rockies.

#1 downhill rule is: " downshift long before you think you might need to ".

Tow mode (at least in Fords) will downshift you......but......usually NOT ENOUGH.

When in doubt, pull over, stop........and start over, keeping #1 in mind.

(don't forget to get out and kiss the ground when you get to the bottom)
picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 05:24 PM   #35

Jabing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsupersonic View Post
In addition when you do use the brakes use the jab method, hold the brake for a few seconds then let go don't ride them.
I agree with that but the CDL manual doesn't
16wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 05:50 PM   #36

We just came back from a 44 day trip from South FL,TX, ,AZ, Vegas, Utah to NEPA with other stars in between, I tow a 2014 CRV using a BO Pat3 breaking system with my 28’ class C E450.

While in tow/haul mode, going down some of the steep grades we encountered, it made me cringe when I hit the brake and the tranny down shifted as I watched the tach spin like a roulette wheel! I would sometimes shut off the tow/haul mode, I know it puts a lot more stress on my breaks, but I’d rather replace pads then spin a bearing or worse!
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:12 PM   #37

I’ve pulled a toad all over the sierras, Yosemite, and the rockies and never down shifted. I let the tow haul do the job with occasional brake pumping. This was in a 35’ A with the V10. But i am also not a speed demon. With the slower speeds you have more flexibility to react. With that rig, i always paid attention to the posted speed at the downhill curves and was at that speed or less before getting into the curve. Be cautious and you will be fine. As a side, do check your tires, brakes, and all your fluids before leaving. Out west we have several tire shops that will do this for free.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:08 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Excellent advice. I’m heading to the mountains and my F53 V8 is 245 hp 400 ft lb tq. My question is, is there a max speed in gear one, two and three? I told my wife and mother n law to pack light but they don’t understand that. It’s the California to Kansas part of the trip I’m concerned about.
Qstaar17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:49 PM   #39

Driver has the choice to either shift down with the lever or apply the brakes to engage downshift. A second tap on the brakes will often automatically shift one more gear as well.
Selecting tow/haul will make downshifting more aggressive as well.
Unclepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 05:24 AM   #40

Hills

While on our trip out West with our 2000 Tiffin with a Ford V10 I kept it in second gear up and down a 10 mile 8% grade, on the downgrade I also "stabbed" the brakes every now and the to keep the RPMs around 4000 RPMs
tiffy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 05:45 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthla View Post
We just came back from a 44 day trip from South FL,TX, ,AZ, Vegas, Utah to NEPA with other stars in between, I tow a 2014 CRV using a BO Pat3 breaking system with my 28’ class C E450.

While in tow/haul mode, going down some of the steep grades we encountered, it made me cringe when I hit the brake and the tranny down shifted as I watched the tach spin like a roulette wheel! I would sometimes shut off the tow/haul mode, I know it puts a lot more stress on my breaks, but I’d rather replace pads then spin a bearing or worse!
It wont spin a bearing in tow/haul it any mode.
The transmission is programmed to not let the engine spin enough for that to happen.

If the RPMs are to high, it won't downshift. If the RPMs get to high, it will shift up, to protect the engine. That's when you want nice cool brakes to get your speed down.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 06:11 AM   #42
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile Marker 42 View Post
No not at all. I was laughing at your "be prepared for 5,000 RPMs". The reality of that statement, is very true, and you do need to be prepared for that rpm. However, many people have never stood next to an engine with a hood up and engine reving at 5,000 RPMs.
The V10 next to your knees in a C will keep you awake going down a steep hill for sure. I added insulation to the dog house.

Sheesh, it really sounds like things are wound tight at those rpm's but it is built for it.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote