Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2021, 10:12 AM   #15

Well, out with the old and in with the new. Had my local muffler guy put the Dynomas Super Turbo in place of the stock muffler. No increase in sound (thankfully) but there is definitely an increase in throttle response and the perception of additional 'quickness'.

Don't have any details yet on hills, grades or mpg. Don't have a trip for a few weeks. When I do, I'll update.

Apparently, no matter what I do, that second photo will remain upside down. Sorry about that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0565.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	343.2 KB
ID:	344713   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0597.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	330.1 KB
ID:	344714  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2021, 10:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
Performance testing with a motorhome?.. Your my kind of people! ... LOL

Ask him about his motor
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 06:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC38EL View Post
...No increase in sound (thankfully) but there is definitely an increase in throttle response and the perception of additional 'quickness'.
But loud makes it fast LOL.
Quote:

Don't have any details yet on hills, grades or mpg. Don't have a trip for a few weeks. When I do, I'll update.
While there is a comment about performance testing a motorhome, that is really the only way to know what you got. A zero to 60 test gives you a benchmark to compare. Per my above comment, I can easily be deceived about how quick something feels, when you have a little rumble to go along with it, or when you want to see it better, you can fool your mind into thinking you feel a difference. A stopwatch was always less subjective.

When I was tuning the 502 in the Revcon, I had the advantage of graphing engine RPM over time. So I could sit in second gear with it floored, and see how long it to gain RPM. I couldn't do the test in 1st, because it would just spin the front wheels. Even punching it at 20 mph, it would still light 'em up. The second thing that was interesting is watching the vacuum. Above 4000 RPM, it would start to increase, which means my intake was hurting the flow. I did a lot of experimenting with different intake designs. I ended up with two PVC tubes about 25 inches long, feeding the throttle plate. That gave me the least vacuum drop in the top end. If you can put a reader on it and watch the vacuum, it will tell you if you are loosing power in the top end. Ford was notorious for poor air flow. 1st gen v10 was much worse than the 2nd gen v10.
Old 10-01-2021, 07:43 AM   #18

When we had diesel MHs, it was always fun to floor it at intersections when competing with cars. Torque always wins....for about 10 feet.

Coming home from the muffler shop this week, I had the opportunity to do the same thing. Before the muffler swap, I would make a lot of noise and fade slowly into the sunset....after, we held our own and kept up pretty good. I know my fuel was taking a hit, but I didn't do the swap for mpg. I sense that this setup will work for us in the mountains better than stock.

I do have a reader and it is setup....but I'm going to have to find the vacuum setting. The app I use gives me about 100 different things and I find 6 of them useful.

Also, I'm at the $$ limit on what I would do to this engine/transmission. I'm not spending $$$ on Banks or a tune as, for me, the ROI isn't there. Not because the value isn't there, but because our time remaining in the RV world is stopping in the next few years. Just wanted to open it up a bit.
Old 10-01-2021, 12:19 PM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC38EL View Post
I've read where several of us have looked at muffler change outs to improve performance and noise and heat distribution. Was wondering if anyone has actually done that on a 2015 or newer F53 chassis.

If you have, what muffler did you settle on? Walker BTM, MagnaFlow, or other?

Our last trip was into the mountains of east TN and west NC. 22K chassis towing 4200lb Cadillac SRX. Going up, it sure seemed like the engine was choking slowly almost like it was restricted (obviously, that is only a seat of the pants feeling, I'm not an engineer).

Going down.....now that was exciting and loud...but perfectly safe with T/H mode.

I'm not looking at a tune or a Banks mod or other tweak. Just looking for muffler information. TIA.
After putting n a temporary bypass after CAT stolen, it is amazing just the difference in airflow volume at tailpipe at idle? Makes me suspect old CAT (42k miles) was failing/ clogged? Did have a history of two cylinders missing when I bought it, which may have been the cause of CAT clog/ (melt?)? Two COPS coils had water damage, for unknown reason?
Old 10-01-2021, 01:04 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
I with this one on my last RV. 8years ago and it is still ok with new owner,, out one on my current RV..

https://www.dynomax.com/super-turbo-...set-18015.html

I can hear it a tad going close to a concrete divider,, I have no Cat as it was not required for my old stead in my state, It is a straight 3" from ypipe to muffler then 2 turns and it dumps infront of tires..
It did not really help fuel miles per gallon but it doese run way better and cooler..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 03:36 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
After putting n a temporary bypass after CAT stolen, it is amazing just the difference in airflow volume at tailpipe at idle? Makes me suspect old CAT (42k miles) was failing/ clogged? Did have a history of two cylinders missing when I bought it, which may have been the cause of CAT clog/ (melt?)? Two COPS coils had water damage, for unknown reason?
Where was the air flow going before the change ?

The throttle controls the air going into an engine. More air, more RPMs.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 11:01 PM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Where was the air flow going before the change ?

The throttle controls the air going into an engine. More air, more RPMs.
I can only assume into "backpressure", partially, but not completely clogged? Just putting your hand at tailpipe, tremendous difference in idle airflow, and much cooler when CAT was there?

Amazing CAT glows red in the youtube with PROJECT FARM, ever see it? Demo is using Small engines w/ CATS honeycomb attached.
Old 10-02-2021, 07:49 AM   #23

I could not find the video you are referring to, but I would be careful inferring too much from a video like that. The ECM in your car is specifically designed to feed that cat. They toggle the mixture back and forth from rich to lean. The spurts of rich mixture send fuel down the exhaust to feed the cat so it stays hot enough to burn off the unburnt fuel. There is always some amount of unburned fuel in the exhaust, but that is not enough to get the cat hot enough to burn it off. By dumping small spurts of fuel into the exhuast, it stays hot enough to burn off all the extra unburnt fuel, this reducing emissions. GM actually got in trouble with the EPA in the early 90s for creating a lean burn mode for fuel economy. There was a delay in turning on the mode, so that it would not be sensed by the EPA tests. The problem was that it did not feed the cats, so there was increased emissions. GM went back and disabled the feature once they were caught. Tuners like that model ECM, as it is very easy to enable it again. There are ways to make the later ECMs to simulate that mode, but only ECMs prior to '92 had it.

I suspect if the cat was glowing in the video, the engine was running richer than designed. Having said that, under severe load, the ECM will go into a self preservation mode and dump extra fuel in the engine to cool it down. This mode may put enough fuel into the cat to make it glow. But its not just the engine heat that makes it glow, but rather a rich mixture.
Old 10-02-2021, 11:12 PM   #24

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Davinet, I recall reading a MSDS on CO, about 10yrs ago, seeing where it said HAZARD: FLAMMABLE/ COMBUSTIBLE GAS or similar, thinking "I had never thought of CO as flammable gas before".... thinking all combustibles already burned, I guess... not so much :-)
Old 10-02-2021, 11:26 PM   #25

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Found this:
Old 10-10-2021, 08:03 PM   #26

Glaspacks are easily changed out.. when fiberglass burns out.. can be done at home.. in short time.. also use ss slip clamps and job is mins.. but like opinions there are just as many mufflers.. so experiment get balance of back pressure and sound that you are comfortable with.. it's your coach.. enjoy
As always good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help.. love the pictures by the way.. good job.. maybe others will catch on.. but with rv.. usually last thing anyone thinks about.. until there is a problem.. too bad..
Old 12-06-2021, 08:58 AM   #27

So, after installing the new muffler, we took off for the winter. Going east to west, we encountered 6% grades and headwinds. We're limited to 65mph because of the toad.

I can tell you that it is well worth the change out. Our throttle response was much improved. Even my wife who really doesn't notice stuff I do to the vehicles noticed it was much much better than when we went to the mountains of NC. Our at the top speed was much improved, on ramp speed ups were great, and passing was a lot less dramatic.

Power felt great (perception, not fact). MPG improved about .5 over NC trip and that was going into headwinds.

All in all, very happy.
Old 12-07-2021, 12:20 AM   #28

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Since O2 sensor (thru the computer) affects INJECTOR/ MIXTURE, IMHO it is a WASTE of time to TRY to run without O2 sensor in stream to "check for performance change/ improvement", when ACTUAL will be so much different w/ sensor in use and Mixture where it belongs in range? About as worthless as disconnecting two cylinders on a V-8 to see how a six cylinder might run?