Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2021, 07:11 AM   #1

Muffler change out

I've read where several of us have looked at muffler change outs to improve performance and noise and heat distribution. Was wondering if anyone has actually done that on a 2015 or newer F53 chassis.

If you have, what muffler did you settle on? Walker BTM, MagnaFlow, or other?

Our last trip was into the mountains of east TN and west NC. 22K chassis towing 4200lb Cadillac SRX. Going up, it sure seemed like the engine was choking slowly almost like it was restricted (obviously, that is only a seat of the pants feeling, I'm not an engineer).

Going down.....now that was exciting and loud...but perfectly safe with T/H mode.

I'm not looking at a tune or a Banks mod or other tweak. Just looking for muffler information. TIA.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2021, 06:10 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Do a Google search in the box at the top of this page "Muffler add on for the V-10 engine". I just did it and there's several threads devoted to the topic. I remember reading some of them months or years ago.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:48 AM   #3

Thanks, TeJay.....did that before. Google is my best friend.

The sites are the same ones I always get. Really looking for make, model, opinion of noise vs performance.

May have to be the first one to attempt this. Currently, the MBPR muffler and Walker Quiet SS are in the running.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:08 AM   #4

I doubt you will see much more flow with just a muffler change out. I would also do a gutted cat.
Also make sure your air filter is clean and free flowing.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:42 AM   #5

Oh yes it will.. oem. Muffler is junk.. try glass packs 1st.. cheapest and straight though.. if too loud.. then go to next choice.. use band ss. Clamps for easier change out.. experiment.. until you are happy.. gut cats.. biggest gains.. dont just cut off and pitch.. take you time.. and gut them and put back on..
If you just want to test idea about cats.. and not harm them.. then just remove and drive it.. yes it will roar.. but it's just to see if you feel it makes any difference.. then you can just bolt them back on..
You some times can get a straight pipe to muffler.. less than 20.00 but most often the manufacturer discourage that by making it hard.. so just test it out.. drop whole exhaust out.. go for a drive.. despite the sound.. which glass packs will fix 60% .. see if it runs better to you.. yes you can.. if you have post cat o2 sensor just zip ties out of way..
You will get a check eng light.. that is ok for now.. you just seeing if you feel more power... [ and I bet you will.. ] if you don't like it put back together check eng will go out.. no harm..
Then one could just gut cats.. and put o2 eleminator on gutted old cats.. and reuse the o2 sensor bungs..
Yes retro fit air intake.. old style air box is trash.. go to round type air cleaner.. but keep it out of water..
Remember if you do this.. to keep your eng in top tune.. check wires and plugs every 2 yrs..keep new air cleaners clean.. or you will pollute.. I have done this on all my vehicles and past the sniffer test.. you can run it in to any shop. And verify this.. they will test it and see for yourself if or how much you want to tune.. then there is the most dumbest thing.. the egr valve.. there are ways around that.. read up on camshaft revision.. whole new world awaits you out there..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 09-20-2021, 10:09 AM   #6

The electronic engine controls are designed for a muffler, removing it will not make more power, just more noise.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC38EL View Post
Our last trip was into the mountains of east TN and west NC. 22K chassis towing 4200lb Cadillac SRX. Going up, it sure seemed like the engine was choking slowly almost like it was restricted (obviously, that is only a seat of the pants feeling, I'm not an engineer).
This symptom could be caused by several things. The muffler would be at the bottom of my list if at all.
• A dirty air filter can restrict performance up to 10%.
• Also, try cleaning your injectors with Sea Foam. 1 can/20gal. of fuel.
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 11:23 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The electronic engine controls are designed for a muffler, removing it will not make more power, just more noise.
I think Banks would disagree with you. They have made a fortune by increasing intake and exhaust flow. I don’t see how electronic engine controls have can reduce backpressure. I can see how reducing backpressure can increase power.
Old 09-23-2021, 12:09 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
The engineers are working a balancing act trying to meet .GOV standards to get better fuel mileage, lower emissions and more HP!!. I kind of understand what's happening but do not pretend to fully understand it all. I'm not real sure to many folks do.

I'm even impressed they can keep the air fuel ratio very close to 14.7:1 which is ideal or as they call it "Stochiometric." That saves a lot of everything when compared to the old carburetors. Less wasted fuel, cleaner oil so longer lasting engines. Better fuel economy and lower emissions.
Old 09-23-2021, 12:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
No, the electronics are closed loop and able to compensate for many different conditions. The computer can only adjust what is going into the engine. It will always adjust for the correct mixture. It does not control the air flow. So if you flow more air, it will flow more fuel. Normally too much scavenging makes an engine run lean, but the computer will compensate with more fuel.

I would strongly suggest going with Magnaflows. Buy the longest one you can find. Being that it is packed with steel mesh and then fiberglass, the sound absorption will prevent drone from radiating through the case into the coach. It will be ever so slightly louder than stock, but will provide the best performance. I did some experimenting with mufflers on my old coach. I tried 3 different Flowmasters, all of which degraded performance. (except the 40 series, which were unmercifully loud) The Magnaflows are quieter than any of the Flowmasters, yet performed better - measured both in fuel mileage and zero to 60 times. They are a good company and stand behind their product. ( burnt out my first set due to poor fuel mixture, the second set lasted many years until I sold the coach) You can mess around with baffled mufflers, but straight thru is the way to go. No they are not loud. I could easily talk to my wife when she is in the back of the coach and I'm driving.
Old 09-23-2021, 01:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
performed better - measured both in fuel mileage and zero to 60 times.
Performance testing with a motorhome?.. Your my kind of people! ... LOL
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:55 PM   #12

I'm not new to putting 'performance' mufflers on RVs. I've put a MBRP straight thru on a Cummins ISC350, and a Magnaflow on a P30 Chevy 454. All with good results. Better throttle response, better uphill performance (faster at the top) and slightly better fuel economy (.5 on the ISC and .7 on the 454). Fuel economy is not what I'm after but I was happy for it. Both were measured over the same 1800 mile trips we make about every three years.

The MBPR increased the noise but since it was in the back of our DP, didn't notice it driving. Got a look or 2 in the campgrounds, but rarely. In the gasser, the Magnaflow actually moved the sound from the doghouse to a place just before the muffler itself. And both engines ran cooler....especially that 454. Before the Magnaflow, we used to cook dinner on that engine on some of our trips.

Most performance mufflers eliminate back pressure. I didn't want to do that....just knock it down a bit.

I ended up choosing a Dynomax Super Turbo. Comparable to the Magnaflow, but not straight through and slightly less SCFM. Supposed to be extremely quiet but I haven't got it on yet. Has a couple of curves in it and fiberglass for the drone.

Thanks for all the input. We got several trips coming up soon and I'll update this thread on my experience. Cost so far...$115.
Old 09-24-2021, 06:00 AM   #13

My only concern with that type of muffler is that if it does use a fiberglass pack, the fiberglass will burn out after a while. The difference in the Magnaflow is that it uses a stainless steel mesh around the inner tube, and fiberglass around that. The idea is that the steel mesh is closer to the heat source, while the fiberglass is further away, thus allowing it to last longer.

I did use one of those on a Jeep Liberty I had. It did seem to make it more noisy - worse than I expected. Not sure if the glass pack was to thin or what. It did eventually burn out, and became much more noisy over time.
Old 09-24-2021, 06:13 AM   #14

I agree with the burnout of the fiberglass.....all packed mufflers will do that over time. But this is not my daily driver. Over the next 5 years, we might only do 10,000 miles.

Hopefully it will last that long before I'm sounding like a NASCAR race.