Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2014, 01:30 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
My 6.8L V10 motor has to be replaced.

My 6.8L V10 motor has to be replaced and I need some advice as to my options.

I understand about re-manufactured engines (and re-built). salvaged engines (that may or not be in good condition), and long and short engines etc.

However I have seen reference to Ford crate engines and Jensen engines neither of which I understand and would appreciate it if some one would explain.

My existing engine is out of a 2005 Coachman but from the Vin I believe I have a 2 valve engine. Do I have the option of replacing it with a later 3 valve unit and would this involve changing the transmission, or the computer (engine management system etc,)?

baysidetas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2014, 05:26 PM   #2

I don't think anyone should reply to your post until you spill your guts on some particulars like why, how many miles, indications, etc. etc.....
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:43 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
no 3 valve in any "c" also agree w/ pirate
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:51 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Who's telling you the engine has to be replaced? Unusual to have to replace the engine unless you had a catastrophic failure. I would go with the Ford factory remanufactured engine. To go with the 3 valve engine you will need the computer and complete Ford wiring harness from the donor vehicle. Get the transmission also if you go that way.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:56 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santara View Post
no 3 valve in any "c" also agree w/ pirate
His profile shows he has Class A, plus he's in Australia.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:00 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
The guy is just asking for some friendly advice. I don't think it's that necessary to tell us the gory details of why he needs a new engine. He just wants to know what his options are in regards to engine choices. I know I'd try for the newer 3-valve engine if I had the choice. If I liked the coach that I have and consider the cost of buying a newer unit it just might be cheaper to do the swap and maybe even the newer engine.

My knowledge about a swap this size is limited but it would involve upgrading most if not all of the electronics and probably a lot of other stuff.

chboone, I didn't look at his profile so I didn't know he is from down under. Thanks.

If he already has a V-10 in his F-53 why wouldn't another V-10 fit????

TeJay
Old 12-15-2014, 06:16 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
His profile shows he has Class A, plus he's in Australia.
my bad ,didn;t know they had a super duty on a 53 chassis. mine is a superduty "c" thats what i was basing it on
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:56 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My 6.8L V10 motor has to be replaced.

Easiest and least expensive is of course to replace with same as existing, whichever route you go. Even at that often differences come up that cause headaches.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:16 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you Chuck, your response re. the 3 valve engine seems to rule out that option - it was more or less what I expected.

Thank you also to TeJay for your private message. I tried to respond to you but my system timed out and I expect that you did not get the response. Will try again later.

My engine has pitting in RHS head between cylinders 7 and 8. Could probably be welded and planed and be reused but there is also pitting at the top of the bore of 7 and 8 that is too deep to hone out and even if that could be done it would un-balance the motor; that means that at the very least full re-bore is necessary.

As Chuck pointed out I live in Tasmania and 6.8L V10s (engines or parts) are not some thing you find at the local Ford dealer here or even on the Australian mainland. A complete changeover seems the the way to go as it avoids the possibility of wrong or missing parts.

As pointed out above what I am trying to do at this stage is to see what my options are.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:26 AM   #10

I know this might sound a bit strange, but I seem to recall that Symmons Plains Raceway uses Ford Trucks as tow-recovery vehicles at the track. I don't know if they are owned by the track, or some other group. But they are definitely modern big Ford trucks and they likely have gas and not diesel engines, since those kinds of trucks tend to not do a ton of miles in their lives. So a phone call there might lead you to folks that have sources/ideas that could help you out, if a crate motor (probably the easiest option overall) isn't an easy option.

As much as the gearhead in my says "go 3 valve," the sensible side of my brain says I should strongly suggest you just put in the exact same engine.

Steve
Old 12-16-2014, 12:34 AM   #11

Save yourself lots of trouble, get a Ford crate engine. Doesn't matter who installs if Ford has to warrenty, Ford will pay to have the repairs done or repair,replace the defecive engine. 36k 3 year warrenty
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:39 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Steve and Dave for your responses as they seem to suggest the same course of action that I had tentatively settled on.

I am very familiar with Symmons Plains and yes there are Ford F series vehicles used around Tasmania for various purposes (and in some cases for a bit of ego) but they are not supported by the Ford dealers.

In fact the Tasmanian Ambulance Service used to run a fleet of them but problems of keeping them on the road eventually forced them to switch to Mercedes.

There are possibly 2 operators who bring in salvage engines from USA but the engines are of unknown history or even mileage and certainly have no warranty.

From my investigations so far no US suppler is prepared to give a warranty on anything they export out of your country; not even Ford. I understand and accept the commercial reasons for this and it is why I am looking for a re-manufactured engine from a substantial and well regarded supplier. My thinking is if they are prepared to give a decent warranty locally then they must be supplying a sound product; at least that is my expectation,

Can some one tell me if the introduction of the 5 speed automatic coincided with the introduction of the 3 valve engine and if it also included a new EMS (computer) or just a re-programming of the 2 valve one.

I suppose I am clutching at straws. Logic tells me that swapping like for like is the sensible (and cheapest) thing to do but at the back of my mind is the thought of getting a much superior engine/transmission.

Thanks for all contributions so far please keep them coming.

Barrie
Old 12-21-2014, 04:02 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
What is the difference between a Ford crate engine and a re-manufactured engine? It looks as if we going to have to go down the re-manufactured route.

Now its a matter of choosing a reliable supplier, preferably in a coastal state.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
I don't think anyone should reply to your post until you spill your guts on some particulars like why, how many miles, indications, etc. etc.....
WOW you really showed everyone just how much of pleasant person you are. This forum is all about helping people however you seem to have a different view.

So because you feel he cheated you out of the gory details you tell all others not to offer any help until he satisfies all your wishes and needs.
Happy Holidays Mr. Pleasant
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, v10