Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2020, 06:45 PM   #43

Thanks.
Readers are interested to hear about Mileage, Power delivery, sound etc. with this new RV Ford package.
Have a good trip.
Unclepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2020, 04:46 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysDream View Post
The Cruise Controls on the steering was updated. Also new controls of on-board computer. See Picture

The instrument Panel gives a visual and audio signal if the transmission is engaged AND the parking brake is ON

Headlights have a Auto On/Off Mode

We shove off next week for a cruise FL to Upstate NY. Will be reporting on the F53

Finally a steering wheel that is not from the 60’s Best improvement yet.
Old 07-17-2020, 05:41 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Here are the measurements of the new F53 engine "dog house". Refer to the picture below.

Forward to Aft: 32"
Port to Stern: 29"
Max height: 7 1/2 "
Min height: 2"

I think this is lower in height than my previous F53 model.

Would someone share their dimensions /picture of the old F53 Doghouse?
Isn't the doghouse more the coach builders' design than the chassis builder? Yes, it has to fit the chassis, but that can be a quite wide selection of designs and sizes.

2014 Tiffin Allegro 36LA
phil-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:54 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRider View Post
Come on. This new 7.3 will outrun it everywhere below about 7k feet. The 7.3 Powerstroke was famously reliable, but I’m betting this one will be, too.
Kind of off topic, but I will respond saying that having owned a 7.3 diesel in a 3/4 ton P/U, it ran like a raped ape and would give any gas engine a run for its money at or above seal level. Not meaning to be contrary, just my experience.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:46 PM   #47

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have started our east coast trip from south Florida to the Adirondacks in upstate New York.
This is a report on the new Ford 53 Chassis V8 in an Entegra Vision 29S. My reference for the comments is the 2018 Jayco Alante 26X on the old F53 Chassis V10.
At a top level, I think the driving experience is significantly improved.
Gas Mileage was 7.9 MPG manual calculation, and the computer read out was 8.3 MPG
The details:
I had the cruise set at 63 MPH (6 Gear @ 2200 RPM). This obviously effects the MPG. 63 MPH is my comfort zone. At this speed you can ride the right lane and have very little passing to do. It also allows for a slower reaction time. The course was I-95 from Georgia through the Carolina Low country into Virginia.
I think the shift pattern is better, seems to be a lot less shifting. Rarely downshifted on overpasses, maybe twice. The course did not have steep grades. However, in Pennsylvania we had grades to deal with. The coach would do a 6-5-4 downshift and we did all grades in 4th @ 3495 (need to verify) at 60 MPH and it was loud but noticeably quieter than the V10. You can feel the extra torque @ 2200RPM yielding less downshifting on low grades.
The ride seemed tighter and more responsive than the old chassis. Situational awareness is still key. You still are driving a box with terrible aerodynamics. When another big box like a bus and tractor passes you and pushes the wind field at you, you still want to be prepared to steer into it. In these situations, there was less sway and better recovery.
The gauges are much easier to see and the engine noise was a lower frequency and amplitude, more like a hum versus a scream. The cockpit was cooler. I didn’t have to run the A/C at full steam unless it was in the mid 90’s in Florida. That also cut down on the noise.
Overall, I felt more relaxed and confident on the drive. My co-pilot also felt more relaxed due to the improvement in the handling.
AlwaysDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:49 PM   #48

Quote:
Gas Mileage was 7.9 MPG manual calculation, and the computer read out was 8.3 MPG
Significantly better than my V10, I average 6.5 mpg over 40k miles, but that is normally towing a jeep and running generator.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:28 PM   #49

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
Significantly better than my V10, I average 6.5 mpg over 40k miles, but that is normally towing a jeep and running generator.
I forgot to mention that I flat tow a Ford Fiesta. Can you tell us what your interstate cruising speed? Speed will significantly effect the MPG.
I think it is also important to note the terrain which you normally drive on. I would expect that traveling moderate grades would effect MPG. Can anybody weigh in on this?
Old 07-20-2020, 09:40 PM   #50

Quote:
Can you tell us what your interstate cruising speed? Speed will significantly effect the MPG.
I think it is also important to note the terrain which you normally drive on.
63-65mph varying terrain, I have been out west, currently in the smokies, live in FL, consistently 6.5 to 7mpg average tracking every tank for 40k miles. Best I have ever had was 8.3mpg worst 5mpg but those are outliers
Old 07-21-2020, 06:32 AM   #51

Quote:
I forgot to mention that I flat tow a Ford Fiesta. Can you tell us what your interstate cruising speed? Speed will significantly effect the MPG.
I think it is also important to note the terrain which you normally drive on. I would expect that traveling moderate grades would effect MPG. Can anybody weigh in on this?
Quote:
We have started our east coast trip from south Florida to the Adirondacks in upstate New York.
This is a report on the new Ford 53 Chassis V8 in an Entegra Vision 29S. My reference for the comments is the 2018 Jayco Alante 26X on the old F53 Chassis V10.
The details:
I had the cruise set at 63 MPH (6 Gear @ 2200 RPM). This obviously effects the MPG. 63 MPH is my comfort zone. At this speed you can ride the right lane and have very little passing to do. It also allows for a slower reaction time. The course was I-95 from Georgia through the Carolina Low country into Virginia.
I think the shift pattern is better, seems to be a lot less shifting. Rarely downshifted on overpasses, maybe twice. The course did not have steep grades. However, in Pennsylvania we had grades to deal with. The coach would do a 6-5-4 downshift and we did all grades in 4th @ 3495 (need to verify) at 60 MPH and it was loud but noticeably quieter than the V10. You can feel the extra torque @ 2200RPM yielding less downshifting on low grades.
The ride seemed tighter and more responsive than the old chassis. Situational awareness is still key. You still are driving a box with terrible aerodynamics. When another big box like a bus and tractor passes you and pushes the wind field at you, you still want to be prepared to steer into it. In these situations, there was less sway and better recovery.
The gauges are much easier to see and the engine noise was a lower frequency and amplitude, more like a hum versus a scream. The cockpit was cooler. I didn’t have to run the A/C at full steam unless it was in the mid 90’s in Florida. That also cut down on the noise.
Overall, I felt more relaxed and confident on the drive. My co-pilot also felt more relaxed due to the improvement in the handling.
I just picked up my Baystar 24K chassis on the 22.5" tires (ordered early March) a week ago with the new chassis. I left Pittsburgh on Saturday also heading to the Adirondacks, we are currently in Lake George. My experience is very similar. I can only compare it to the class C I had with the V10. My cruising speed is also 63 and MPG calculates out to about 8.5 so far. I am flat towing my Jeep Cherokee. So far I am very pleased with the handling and engine noise. This trip is 7-8 weeks so I should have a solid feel for the performance before we get home.
Steve-W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:55 AM   #52

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
I just picked up my Baystar 24K chassis on the 22.5" tires (ordered early March) a week ago with the new chassis. I left Pittsburgh on Saturday also heading to the Adirondacks, we are currently in Lake George. My experience is very similar. I can only compare it to the class C I had with the V10. My cruising speed is also 63 and MPG calculates out to about 8.5 so far. I am flat towing my Jeep Cherokee. So far I am very pleased with the handling and engine noise. This trip is 7-8 weeks so I should have a solid feel for the performance before we get home.
I have the 18K chassis with 19.5" tires
Old 07-21-2020, 08:09 AM   #53

Quote:
I have the 18K chassis with 19.5" tires
Me too. Towing or not Cherokee w Georgetown 2019 30x3 I get about 7.5 mpg. Wind, speed, and general elevation change are biggest effects on mpg, which can be as low as 7 or as high as 8. Wind is largest effect.

Cruise between 60 and 65. Rarely use Interstates but will go up to 70 on 80 mph stretches if traffic (rare where I go). Always have a few mountain passes wherever I go. Going down seems to make up for going up.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 01:50 PM   #54

Thanks OP (and others) - this all sounds very positive. The improved handling is encouraging. Maybe Ford reads these message boards and heard all the complaints.

I remember when the new engine was announced in the F53 there was some disappointment that it was not paired with a 10spd tranny. How much do those of you that have driven the new chassis feel a 10spd is needed or would improve the overall experience?
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:03 PM   #55

Vision 27 foot

Quote:
I picked up my new coach built on the 2020 Ford F53 Chassis with the 7.3L V8. The Ford V10 chassis is obsolete, so inthe near future 90% of Class A coach will be built on.

It is a Entegra Coach Vision 29S at 31.4 Feet.
It has the 2020 F53 18,000 lbs, 190 " Wheel Base.
It has the TorqueShift 6 Speed Transmission

I drove it approx. 150 miles on the Florida Turnpike and will be reviewing and answering any questions you might have in the thread.

This thread is for 2020 F53 discussion, not the Vision Coach.
Driving with Tow/Haul OFF on Florida Flat Highway at 65 MPH, moderate wind the average MPG is 7.5 to 8.0.
The new Instrument Cluster Photos are attached.
The new Inst. Cluster is a NOT LED display. It has an upgraded computer with fuel calculations, instantaneous and avg MPG. It is hundred time easier to see. It did not have outside temperature It does have current gear display
There is Traction Control (on/off).

There is a shifter control on the right stick that is a +/- rocker. For example, if you don't want the unit to shift into 6 O/D press the minus and you now will 5th gear as you highest gear while you are in "D".

Next post will be how the coach drove on the New 53 suspension.
New Coach owner of a 27 foot Entegra 27 Vision, F53 V10. Taking back to the dealer this weekend for it's first check up. A few small things to be fixed. Nothing but good things to say about the dealer, La Mesa in Jupiter Florida. Could not get AC to work on Generator. They sent tech from Jupiter to Ft. Lauderdale to fix it. To large of wire connectors on gen set caused drop in voltage as connection ws not ight enough. Now works fine.

Question. I am considering adding a rear sway bar and a steering stabilizer at the dealer when I take it back. However i see that the spec's say it has front and rear stabilizers. Would really like some advice if it is worthwhile to add or is the ones it is supposed to have sufficient. The trucks will push it around quite a bit and rock and roll seem excessive. A few places where they were working on the road and the edge would drop off to the lower section were a bit disconcerting when a big rig would manage to push enough for the wheels to drop off this lip. Rock and roll to get back onto the flat.
Garyaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:32 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyaber View Post
I am considering adding a rear sway bar and a steering stabilizer at the dealer when I take it back. However i see that the spec's say it has front and rear stabilizers.
I don't know about the stabilizers, but the new chassis has a MUCH LARGER rear sway bar !

Tags
chassis, f53