Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2020, 06:40 AM   #29

Ford Super Duty Owner
WileyOne, Martin,

Nice that is wasn't engine noise due to lower octane fuel.

My same exact thinking. Since when can belt tension be adjusted.?? They are bolted in place with fixed spring tension and no adjustment, as far as I have ever seen.

Why did the SM think he/she needed to add that bit of misinformation to the conversation? Waste of effort and also useless information.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2020, 05:11 PM   #30

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ. View Post
A friend of mine is an engine builder. He can tell right away whether or not an engine has been fed junk food or the good stuff. It's quite obvious in the intake tract.

An occasional tank of junk food(it beats walking/pushing) is not detrimental. But a steady diet of Walmart/Wawa/Racetrac/Raceway/Food n Fuel/etc. does let things get really ugly for injectors and intake valves.
Now you got me thinking. The article mentioned a long list of "name brand" fuels, but I'm certain it wasn't exhaustive or all-inclusive. Exactly which places are serving the good stuff and which ones are not? Is Wawa bad? What about Speedway?

As a rule, I avoid grocery store gas because my Costco-Citi card won't pay the 4% rebate. That eliminates Kroger, Safeway, and WalMart, but 7-11 and Circle-K seem to be OK. Go figure.

In Pa, Md, Virginia, Ohio, WV, and NC, we have Sheetz which is a lot like Wawa. Pull up to one of their many pumps, go inside, order a sandwich on a touchscreen, pay, visit the bathroom, grab your sandwich, and be back on the road in under 10 minutes. They give me 3 cents off every gallon which, when gas is $1.85, works out to about a 1.6% discount (better than I get on my saving account).

Where does Sheetz get their gas? They claim that it comes from the same refineries that everybody else uses, before they add the detergents. How much detergent? What kind of detergent? Nobody will say. One nice thing about Sheetz -- you can choose from many different types of fuel including Diesel, Kerosene, E10, E15, and E85.

Does an ounce of detergent cost more than an ounce of gasoline? Apparently it does or all gas would be loaded with it.

Personally, I'd like to find some nice E-zero (no freaking Ethanol), but that seems to be impossible in the USA. Why would anybody want to put corn into their engine? Thanks for nothing, EPA. I would gladly pay more for real gas.
Old 05-02-2020, 08:19 PM   #31

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a recent read in a (Ford OM download???) that talked about PING as a possible tank of bad fuel, (maybe out-of-season blend?/ different altitude blend??), and OM cautioned to take no action until you had tried a different BRAND/ TANK FULL. OWNING A 20-YO RIG, i LIKE TO OCCASIONALLY download/ read later model OM to see what changes? Just for giggles and grins (G&G) :-)
Old 05-03-2020, 01:45 AM   #32

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
(One other thought): While I have had this same issue that went away w/ exhaust tail-pipe & mount repairs, realize it may return.... but had a buzz like hornets once develop in dash of 96 Nissan King cab pickup at certain speeds at 25k miles; finally tightened all firewall nuts/ bolts/ mounts, a few tightened, but found nothing "loose"... but it cured the issue (after 6-12-mo of annoyance) JUST SAYING noises/ harmonics can have weird causes
Old 05-03-2020, 08:01 AM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
NOTE - On early F53 (2001 2002), the Y pipe was changed to reduce a sound in the exhaust that sounded like a loose piece of metal flapping around inside the muffler. Mine does this. This could be mistaken as a ping sound. I can hear it when i'm driving next to a concrete barrier on the passenger side, I guess the sound is bouncing off the barrier and I can hear it.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:43 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
If I have to use 93 octane, I might consider selling this thing.
No one is saying buy 93%. Please read more carefully. We're saying buy top tier fuel not junk food cheap gas. Other fuels are cheap for a reason. It's NOT top tier fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ. View Post
A friend of mine is an engine builder. He can tell right away whether or not an engine has been fed junk food or the good stuff. It's quite obvious in the intake tract.

With the exception of parts of California there doesn't seem to be too much of a price spread for the Top Tier fuels.

An occasional tank of junk food(it beats walking/pushing) is not detrimental. But a steady diet of Walmart/Wawa/Racetrac/Raceway/Food n Fuel/etc. does let things get really ugly for injectors and intake valves.
Exactly. Feed your coach good food—aka 87% top tier gas—and you coach will luv you for it. It's all about taking care of your stuff properly and not trying to save a few pennies each fill up. If you want to go the cheap way, be willing to pay the piper down the road.

Haven't any of you heard the saying, "you are what you eat"? Good grief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyOne View Post
Exactly which places are serving the good stuff and which ones are not? Is Wawa bad? What about Speedway?
No and no.

Just download the recent list of top tier gas stations, print in out, keep it up front in the driving cabin area and use it when you're search for a place to fuel up. After awhile it just becomes muscle memory.

This is not hard.

Many problems people have with their MH's are self inflicted and most can be avoided by being properly informed..
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 01:50 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
NOTE - On early F53 (2001 2002), the Y pipe was changed to reduce a sound in the exhaust that sounded like a loose piece of metal flapping around inside the muffler. Mine does this. This could be mistaken as a ping sound. I can hear it when i'm driving next to a concrete barrier on the passenger side, I guess the sound is bouncing off the barrier and I can hear it.
Interesting! My 2000 has a noise that I would describe as a heat shield rattle on tip in, at lower speeds (at least when I can hear it). It's been on the low priority list but I always tug/pull/pound on various components when underneath working on bigger issues/maintenance.
Randalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 02:28 PM   #36

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Interesting! My 2000 has a noise that I would describe as a heat shield rattle on tip in, at lower speeds (at least when I can hear it). It's been on the low priority list but I always tug/pull/pound on various components when underneath working on bigger issues/maintenance.
ROFL.. I did the same thing for about a year until I ran across this info in the Ford Truck Enthusiast forums.

Look at your Y pipe where they come together, on mine, there was no restriction (bottom photo). In later years (2002ish) Ford put a small restriction section in the pipe (smaller diameter pipe) where they meet )top photo). Supposedly this helped with the flutter sound.The truck people say it helped, but they could still hear the flutter.

Mine still does it even after I installed headers..

There are a aftermarket kits to cut out the restriction and the big U turn, and add a nice clean gentle Y to combine the pipes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Y_Pipe_Restrictor.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	284152   Click image for larger version

Name:	1999_V10_Y_pipe_1_800.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	284153  

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:17 PM   #37

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyOIB View Post
There is an earlier post entitled UNUSUAL NOISE which also notes this problem. I have responded to that topic as follows which I believe to be pertinent and worth repeating:
My 2018 Minnie has had this problem since new. Been back to Ford 3 times and even contacted corporate. The first visit they adjusted the serpentine belt and the rattling went away for my trip home. The second visit they replaced the belt and it was gone for about 200 miles. The third visit they replaced the belt tensioner AND the belt again...and the noise is beginning to come back after 600 miles. As a result,I feel certain it’s got something to do with the belt, but even corporate does not have a clue. I’ll be returning again soon before I have somewhere to go. The rattling is upon acceleration and going up hills. It’s very annoying. All suggestions are welcome. There are only 12,000 miles on the vehicle.
The Unusual Noise was my post! I too am leaning toward the serpentine belt as the culprit. Definitely not a detonation ping or exhaust rattle. I recently took it for about a 50 mile ride and could not get it to make the noise. Figures! My Jamboree only has 7K miles but I’m going to replace the belt and see what happens.
sgt1577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 03:19 AM   #38

Quote:
Today I got my coach back from the Ford Truck service center. They found the problem and fixed it. It was not a fuel injector or a broken manifold or a bad knock detector or a hot valve.

It was a bad serpentine belt. They cleaned all the pulleys, replaced the belt, and adjusted the belt tensioner. Noise is now gone. Cost: $225.

It didn't sound like any slipping belt I've ever heard before. I'm just thrilled that it was an easy fix.
Nice to hear they seemed to have fixed the issue.
Let us know if you have taken any trips and if it is still quiet.
I have worked on a lot of vehicles and have never seen any
adjustable tensioner for a serpentine belt system.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 03:24 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
ROFL.. I did the same thing for about a year until I ran across this info in the Ford Truck Enthusiast forums.

Look at your Y pipe where they come together, on mine, there was no restriction (bottom photo). In later years (2002ish) Ford put a small restriction section in the pipe (smaller diameter pipe) where they meet )top photo). Supposedly this helped with the flutter sound.The truck people say it helped, but they could still hear the flutter.

Mine still does it even after I installed headers..

There are a aftermarket kits to cut out the restriction and the big U turn, and add a nice clean gentle Y to combine the pipes.

Wow that is really a Hot Mess and not in a good way.
I can't believe the factory thinks that was good design for exhaust flow.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 01:00 PM   #40

Quote:
Today I got my coach back from the Ford Truck service center. They found the problem and fixed it. It was not a fuel injector or a broken manifold or a bad knock detector or a hot valve.

It was a bad serpentine belt. They cleaned all the pulleys, replaced the belt, and adjusted the belt tensioner. Noise is now gone. Cost: $225.

It didn't sound like any slipping belt I've ever heard before. I'm just thrilled that it was an easy fix.
I installed my new serpentine belt today and my rattle at 1800-2200 rpm under load is gone!!!! Thanks again for your post, I have been chasing this noise for 6 months. It took a friend and I about 30 minutes, most of that time was picking out the right tools and studying. Next belt change should be 10-15 minutes.
#10050 GVWR, #18500 GCWR Smoke that!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 02:02 PM   #41

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
I installed my new serpentine belt today and my rattle at 1800-2200 rpm under load is gone!!!! Thanks again for your post, I have been chasing this noise for 6 months. It took a friend and I about 30 minutes, most of that time was picking out the right tools and studying. Next belt change should be 10-15 minutes.
Would you happen to have the part # for the belt?
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 02:26 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles L View Post
Would you happen to have the part # for the belt?
my v10 is 2017 2V
part from Rockauto is MOTORCRAFT JK61004B
#10050 GVWR, #18500 GCWR Smoke that!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
v10