RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2020, 10:15 AM   #29

We use an ancient, Interdynamics Truck Air 275. Slow to fill, but while on the road, it has always worked great to keep the tires topped off. At home we use a 5HP Porter Cable air compressor.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2020, 11:11 AM   #30

Today I topped up one of my tires (22.5) to 80psi, from 70psi. I figured hooking up the ViAir would be a pain in the ass so I used my bicycle pump, a stand up one of excellent quality. Not difficult work but quite rigorous, must'a taken a couple of hundred strokes.

Old 03-25-2020, 12:33 PM   #31

You bet. I've not a thing against Dewalt, I just don't want any more batteries and chargers to deal with. Another appeal is that I do lots of things besides RV. In particular when I take kids out for some dirt bike and ATV riding such a compressor would beat the little ones I use now for convenience nor I would I have to worry about the air tank running out. Plus someone could easily tote it out into the boonies to help unstrand someone.
GypsyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 02:32 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
I use this one:
Attachment 279049

https://www.dewalt.com/products/stor...lator/dcc020ib

I carry a DeWalt 20v cordless drill with two batteries and charger when we travel. I found the DeWalt tire inflator that uses the same battery (or 12v cigar lighter) and pumps to 160 psi.

Stu

I was looking for a solution for this that didnít carry a big price tag to the already growing list of items Iíve bought for our new MH. I own a number of FlexVolt DeWalt batteries so this was an easy decision. Tried it out today and itís a great inexpensive product. Probably wouldnít go this route if I didnít already have a batch of batteries. Since my MH is in quarantine all my car tires and every ball in my house is filled perfectly!
EcoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:49 PM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoRick View Post
Probably wouldnít go this route if I didnít already have a batch of batteries. Since my MH is in quarantine all my car tires and every ball in my house is filled perfectly!
Exactly, EcoRick.

I've been happy with mine. IF I didn't already have the DeWalt batteries, I'm not sure I would have been so eager.

Still, it seems like a great light duty (good enough to top off a few tires) alternative to the more expensive alternatives.

I have found the self-contained capability to be very useful. No need to drag long electric cords or air hoses as I move around the coach topping off tires.

Take care,
Stu
Old 03-30-2020, 07:04 AM   #34

Quote:
I was looking for a solution for this that didnít carry a big price tag to the already growing list of items Iíve bought for our new MH. I own a number of FlexVolt DeWalt batteries so this was an easy decision. Tried it out today and itís a great inexpensive product. Probably wouldnít go this route if I didnít already have a batch of batteries. Since my MH is in quarantine all my car tires and every ball in my house is filled perfectly!
If you don't mind, how much was the Dewalt pump?

Thanks
billfelicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:21 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by billfelicia View Post
If you don't mind, how much was the Dewalt pump?

Thanks
I bought the bare tool for $99 on Amazon. Not sure how much it is with batteries. If you already have some 20v or 60v tool kits, itís a no brainer. If youíre considering buying a cordless set of tools, the DeWalt line is pretty impressive. You can start with a cordless drill set with 2 batteries that will work on almost any DeWalt tool.
EcoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:26 AM   #36

Quote:
I bought the bare tool for $99 on Amazon. Not sure how much it is with batteries. If you already have some 20v or 60v tool kits, itís a no brainer. If youíre considering buying a cordless set of tools, the DeWalt line is pretty impressive. You can start with a cordless drill set with 2 batteries that will work on almost any DeWalt tool.
This One ? - https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCC020...5578289&sr=8-1
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:52 AM   #37

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Yes. Occasionally, the price drops $10. That's what I paid for mine.

Take care,
Stu
Old 03-30-2020, 09:54 AM   #38

I always check tire pressures before embarking on a long weekend trip (no multi-weeks outings until I retire) so my need for an air compressor in the motorhome is a very infrequent "top off" of the tires. Given minimal use, I didnt' want to spend $250+ for a Viair type air compressor. So, at Northern Tool I found this compact, less expensive 150 psi air compressor that is light weight and doesn't take up much room in a storage compartment.. This compressor is also available on Amazon --> https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-.../dp/B006CVXGR0
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:22 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
I use this one:
Attachment 279049

https://www.dewalt.com/products/stor...lator/dcc020ib

I carry a DeWalt 20v cordless drill with two batteries and charger when we travel. I found the DeWalt tire inflator that uses the same battery (or 12v cigar lighter) and pumps to 160 psi.

It's certainly NOT appropriate to inflate a 315/80R22.5 from empty, but, it works fine for adding a few psi to adjust cold inflation. I've found the battery power to be very convenient when moving around the coach from tire to tire; no cord to mess with. The chuck is threaded, so you just screw it onto the valve stem, set the desired tire pressure and turn it on. When the pressure is achieved, the inflator turns off.

I carry it in the toad to handle inflation needs when out and about in the toad.

Take care,
Stu
Seeing your post made me rethink about my plans for purchasing a new compressor. So, I started researching the compressor and found a reference to this quote from the owners manual:

NOTE: If the pressure rating for the item being inflated
is above 100 psi, note that the maximum run time is
10 minutes. Leave to rest for 20 minutes before reusing

So I have a question for any users of the Dewalt compressor. My tire pressures for my motor home are 93 psi or lower. Do you think I will have a problem if I'm using this compressor to just readjust tire pressure, which would usually be less than 10 psi per tire, but I could be adjusting all 6 tires.

Since I check them in the morning before hitting the road, I don't want to take any longer than necessary. Sometimes, I check it the night before departure and then just check pressures via TPMS in the morning.

Another question: Anyone have a noise comparison with the popular Porter Cable compressor that I'm also considering?

https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-...5588777&sr=8-3

Any input and practical use experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:52 PM   #40

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
Do you think I will have a problem if I'm using this compressor to just readjust tire pressure, which would usually be less than 10 psi per tire, but I could be adjusting all 6 tires.

Since I check them in the morning before hitting the road, I don't want to take any longer than necessary. Sometimes, I check it the night before departure and then just check pressures via TPMS in the morning.
I haven't had a problem with run time. My steer tires are inflated to 115 psi and the drive/tag are 85 psi.

I have a TPMS and I check inflation with that every morning before I start a drive. It's rare that I see a pressure more than a couple of psi off my target that drives me to adjust the pressure. On the handful of occasions where I feel a need to adjust, I start with the drive/tag on both sides and then move, if needed, to the steer tires. I don't think I've ever had any need to run the inflator for 10 minutes to adjust all 8 tires.

IF you're losing enough air on a regular basis that you need to inflate a tire, I'd be concerned that you've got some issue that needs to be addressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
Another question: Anyone have a noise comparison with the popular Porter Cable compressor that I'm also considering?
Sorry, I can't offer any help with that.

Take care,
Stu
Old 03-30-2020, 03:37 PM   #41

My Dumb Question of The Week is this: Some posters have DPs. Many or most of those have onboard compressors with driers. Why not use the connection provided (probably intended for towing) and an air hose to fill your tires? I have not done this yet, but I stuck a 50' air hose with the appropriate connector into the compartment where the air Q/D lives. It seems to me that the coach ain't movin' without the onboard compressor anyway...if it fails, you're staying put. If it's working, why not fill tires with it at need?

Good idea? Terrible idea? Enquiring Minds Want to Know!
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 04:22 PM   #42

I drive a truck for work we just use the compressor off the truck to fill up the tires if they are low on the d.i.

fleetwood ex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires