Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2020, 05:24 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
Same here - Viair. Little more costly, but an excellent product.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2020, 05:47 PM   #58

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
My Dumb Question of The Week is this: Some posters have DPs. Many or most of those have onboard compressors with driers. Why not use the connection provided (probably intended for towing) and an air hose to fill your tires? I have not done this yet, but I stuck a 50' air hose with the appropriate connector into the compartment where the air Q/D lives. It seems to me that the coach ain't movin' without the onboard compressor anyway...if it fails, you're staying put. If it's working, why not fill tires with it at need?

Good idea? Terrible idea? Enquiring Minds Want to Know!
This is what I have used from the get go. I had space to rig up a hose reel and 50' gets the job done. If the TPMS or manual gauge indicates air is needed, I fill in the AM after inflating the air bags, bringing in the slides and raising the leveling jacks. I only do this if I am more than 5 psi under where I want to be. I need to adjust infrequently, though. This works for me.
Streamintrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 05:49 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickb46 View Post
N2zon.
That idea works well, except, the air compressor runs up to ~150lbs then shuts off until it drops to 65lbs.
I met a gentleman a couple of years back that had a slow leak he had to air up every morning. He had an electric air pressure multiplier in line with his supply line that was almost silent and gave him 130 lbs from 65 lbs input.
I sure wish I'd asked him for the brand!
Ah...thanks. Guess I'll keep carrying a spare scuba tank and regulator and use the on-board compressor for backup.

Getting fills is no issue for me. I own a breathing air compressor. Anyone in the area (Dutchess County NY) who wants to do this for filling tires (not breathing the air--I don't carry the right insurance for that) is welcome to a fill any time as long as the tank has a current hydro. Just PM me.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:07 PM   #60

Like so many others...Viair

Like so many others I purchased the
Viair 40047 400P-RV Automatic Portable Compressor Kit
And really like it. Amazon sells it.
TheTravler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:19 PM   #61

Very happy with my Viair RV

Zzotte
Old 04-02-2020, 06:31 PM   #62

I have an inflater from amazon that I bought for $40 a few years ago. Its 110 volt and is rated at 150 psi.
bird6465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:33 PM   #63

Rodi

I simply use the air from the chassis. My last 3 have had air chucks in the front to plug into. I carry enough hose to reach all the wheels if needed.
Rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:36 PM   #64

Milwaulkee M12 Inflator https://milwaukeetool.com/Products/P...-Tools/2475-20
hencye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:45 PM   #65

Ford Super Duty Owner
Porter cable

Great little unit.

Light. Cheap. Works great Many other Uses

https://www.portercable.com/products...mpressor/cmb15
Old 04-02-2020, 07:14 PM   #66

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Lowes 3 gallon hot dog air pump

I owned a small Fini rated at 120 PSI electric pump that worked ok but barely pumped over 100 PSI. I replaced it with a Lowes Kobalt 3 gallon hot dog electric rated at 150 PSI that outputs a steady 120 PSI, good enough to keep my coach and car at proper pressures.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:18 PM   #67

Viair is an excellent quiet compress. Several RV models. Check them out.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:47 PM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I second the motion on Viair. It is the smallest lightest solution to the problem (but not the cheapest).
tmelsonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:48 PM   #69

I have a gas coach, so using the non-existent on board compressor isn't an option. I've been carrying a pancake compressor that I've had for years. When I've been on the road, I run it before I leave. If I have to use it on the road, it'll top off a tire with out running, if I need to, I fire up the generator. Also, I usually carry air tools with me, and it will run them for at least a little bit.

I have a Viar, I like it, I bought it on Amazon about 3 years ago when they had an amazing sale on it. The good is that it runs on 12 volt, it's clearly top quality, and it comes with very good accessories. But there's no tank so it has to be running to use it. It's awkward for me because my batteries aren't easily accessible, so I rarely use it.

I started carrying my DeWalt battery tools with me, so I do like the idea of the Dewalt compressor.
MSGDLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:49 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
Many will. With an adapter, though, your options expand. A clean paintball fill station, some fire stations, SCBA fill stations at fire equipment dealers, and others would give you a fill.

Nearly every dive shop has an old first stage hanging around. You don't need anything new. Something well out of date is fine. Oh, and it should have an overpressure relief valve because you won't have a second stage.
Careful buying an old tank. The tanks have dates after t years nobody will fill them to recertified. I have a compressor with 4,500 psi. I use to be big on PCP high powered air guns. 22 cal to 35 cal for deer hunting. I have carbon tanks very light compared to scuba. Plus I take them to 4,300 psii
Kbwitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires