RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Need help to decide - Steering Stabilizer

I have decided after last trip on rutted road and crosswind that I am going to do one more chassis mod, Steering stabilizer, with the additional peace of mind in the event of front tire blow out as an added bonus.

I have looked a websites and reviews for; Steer safe, Safe t plus, and Roadmaster reflex. Like idea of Blue ox true center, but not in the budget!

Like the simplicity of the Steer safe, and like that it does not put stress on the steering components directly, meaning not clamped on to the tie rod like the others. Worried a little about possible contact with road hazards, or springs breaking.

Safe t plus and roadmaster reflex look like essentially the same product packaged differently, meaning the reflex has an external spring and the Safe t plus has internal.

Did come across info that indicated the Steer safe puts 400 lbs. of pressure, and read something in the area of 270 lbs. for the others, maybe same result due to shortened lever arm on Steer safe.?

Anyway, have found the biggest difference to be pricing, Safe t plus will run about $700, Steer safe $410 at there web site, can't find anywhere else, but can get the Roadmaster for $379 including brackets!

Can any one see any reason to select here based on price? Not much price difference in Steer safe and Roadmaster, but big on Safe t plus. I see no significant differences in what they promise to do, and find that reviews are favorable for all three. Kind of like asking if Chevy, Ford or Dodge is better.

Looking for any input to help with decision. I am about ready to order the Roadmaster and give it a shot.

Thanks as usual.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2013, 06:23 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trode View Post
I have decided after last trip on rutted road and crosswind that I am going to do one more chassis mod, Steering stabilizer, with the additional peace of mind in the event of front tire blow out as an added bonus.

I have looked a websites and reviews for; Steer safe, Safe t plus, and Roadmaster reflex. Like idea of Blue ox true center, but not in the budget!

Like the simplicity of the Steer safe, and like that it does not put stress on the steering components directly, meaning not clamped on to the tie rod like the others. Worried a little about possible contact with road hazards, or springs breaking.

Safe t plus and roadmaster reflex look like essentially the same product packaged differently, meaning the reflex has an external spring and the Safe t plus has internal.

Did come across info that indicated the Steer safe puts 400 lbs. of pressure, and read something in the area of 270 lbs. for the others, maybe same result due to shortened lever arm on Steer safe.?

Anyway, have found the biggest difference to be pricing, Safe t plus will run about $700, Steer safe $410 at there web site, can't find anywhere else, but can get the Roadmaster for $379 including brackets!

Can any one see any reason to select here based on price? Not much price difference in Steer safe and Roadmaster, but big on Safe t plus. I see no significant differences in what they promise to do, and find that reviews are favorable for all three. Kind of like asking if Chevy, Ford or Dodge is better.

Looking for any input to help with decision. I am about ready to order the Roadmaster and give it a shot.

Thanks as usual.
I went with the Safe-T-Plus. $714 for shock and bracket, $171 labor. For the 2011 Ford F-53 it is the Tan version of the steering shock though I don't recall the model number. It made a difference but to complete the package for handling I also added a track bar in the rear about a year later.

That was another $450. The two combined really settled the coach down I can easily handle the coach now but before these changes.... I had many white knuckled moments and more than once thought I had made a big mistake buying the coach.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Vote for Safe-T-Plus

The reviews, recommendations and information I could gather seemed to point to Safe-T-Plus for me. I ordered it from one of their dealers and installed it myself. It was not difficult at all.

I have been very happy with it. Rig drives straight as an arrow down the road. On a clear day with no wind and no trucks pushing me around I could literally drive straight down the freeway with no hands. No steering wheel shake on pavement gaps or potholes. Handles ruts and rumble strips easily. I found it to be very heavy duty and high quality product, not to say the others are not...you only know what you know.

I honestly can't remember what I paid for it. Can't even find the invoice. But, I have heard/read stories of front end blowouts that scared me to the point where I didn't really care how much it cost. It seemed like it was worth every penny if it could perform as well as it was touted.

Hoping I never have to find that out.

Best of luck on your decision! Safe travels.
JRMEDPHYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I can't help with comparisons, but I've had my Safe T Plus for >5 years and it made a big difference in handling and peace of mind.

The trim kit which allows adjustment on the fly has been on my wish list for a long time but it's probably not going to happen.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had the Steer Safe on our last MH. The way it works seems to be OK. I kind of like the idea of adding the 400#'s to keep the steering wheel centered and to resist movement of the coach as you encounter winds and semi's and or road swells etc. The others are probably OK as well. I also know that I can save a few bucks by installing the steer safe my self.

TeJay
Old 08-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
The trim kit which allows adjustment on the fly has been on my wish list for a long time

Rick
What "trim kit"? I don't find anything available that allows you to adjust centering on the fly.

Can you elaborate please?

Thanks,

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
What "trim kit"? I don't find anything available that allows you to adjust centering on the fly.

Can you elaborate please?

Thanks,

Roll
No problem.

SuperSteer Trim Unit for Freightliner Chassis

The trim kit isn't made by Safe T Plus but rather by Super Steer which I believe is the brand name of Henderson's Line Up... Grants Pass, Or.

It wasn't available when I had them install my Safe T Plus but it sure would be nice to have.

BTW, this caused a bit of a stink here on the forum a couple of years ago when members called Safe T Plus folks and asked about adding the trim kit. Initially, they were told that it would void their warranty... which is incorrect. I ended up finding myself in the middle of Henderson's and the Safe T Plus folks but rest assured that the trim kit is available and won't void the STP warranty.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 08-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #8

Thanks RickO.

It is a bit pricey at $550 and apparently operates with air pressure which I don't have. Is this mostly for use on DPs?

Roll
Old 08-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
Thanks RickO.

It is a bit pricey at $550 and apparently operates with air pressure which I don't have. Is this mostly for use on DPs?

Roll
Sorry Roll. I should have checked out what kind of coach you have.

They ARE pricey... that's why it's still on my wishlist and not on my Safe T Plus.

Frankly I never looked closely enough to see if it operated off of air pressure or vacuum. You could shoot an email to Hendersons. They're some good folks to work with.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 08-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I purchased the Steer Safe two or three years ago. It is easy to install and adjust. It works exactly as advertised. I am very pleased with it, and recommend it.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Roadmaster reflex

I decided, after much reading and reviewing, to go with the Roadmaster, have to admit part of the decision was price, but my thought...if they all do essentially the same thing, why not base on economic factors, $344 vs $410 vs $500+.

I am looking for moderate improvement on straight ahead and safety margin in the event of blow out, thinking I will get all this from the Roadmaster reflex.

Will report back in week or two.

Tom
Old 08-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Sorry Roll. I should have checked out what kind of coach you have.

They ARE pricey... that's why it's still on my wishlist and not on my Safe T Plus.

Frankly I never looked closely enough to see if it operated off of air pressure or vacuum. You could shoot an email to Hendersons. They're some good folks to work with.

Rick
I had a Safe T Plus with Trim Kit installed by Hendersons. It requires air pressure which of course my gasser doesn't have. They did a real neat job of installing a small compressor and a 1 gallon tank.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #13

I have a 98 Winnie Adventurer. It has OEM stabilizer (leaking). My question; is the OEM equal in performance to the Roadmaster---Safe-T-Plus? Cost seems about the same and no bracket change. I went to the Ford Motorcraft site. They give no description. Just the msrp $400.00. Anyone know if a new Motorcraft is equal to the others ? Thanks, Stan
stan38jean37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Sorry can't help, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan38jean37 View Post
I have a 98 Winnie Adventurer. It has OEM stabilizer (leaking). My question; is the OEM equal in performance to the Roadmaster---Safe-T-Plus? Cost seems about the same and no bracket change. I went to the Ford Motorcraft site. They give no description. Just the msrp $400.00. Anyone know if a new Motorcraft is equal to the others ? Thanks, Stan
How is it that the '98 ford chassis had a steering stabilizer OEM and the 2003's did not? Was this a factory option, or Ford supplied dealer add-on? Curios why they did not include such an important safety and handling component on them to begin with.

Tags
need help, steering