Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by flangley View Post
What is average mileage for replacing shocks?
Huh?
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I have a Chevy chassis that was pretty harsh. As others have reported here already, once I weighed it and set the tire pressures closer to matching the weight (they were up around the max of 110 psi), the improvement was very significant. A cheap and easy thing to try!
Old 06-11-2014, 06:52 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtryshard View Post
Have 14 yr old class A. After 40,000 miles of being hammered by my Ford chassis on ever-worsening US roads, thinking of buying different chassis class A for smoother ride. Any brand name suggestions?
What we all need is better roads. I have been "tweaking" my f-53 chassis since I bought it, the biggest improvement came from tire balancing and truing, correcting air pressure per load charts and Koni shocks. But the reality is our roads are in terrible condition, when I am on a newly paved road, or a road that was well constructed and maintained the ride is a pleasure, but a few pot holes, man hole covers not leveled to pavement, expansion joints (which generally are mis-match between road grade and bridge surface, or cracked, broken pavement and the ride is pure misery. I talk to local politician and DOT guys and answer is same as fed gov solution to everything, we don't pay enough highway use tax on gasoline purchase. I know the damage around here comes from overloaded trucks and little if any DOT enforcement. Some intersections have ruts 6 inches deep from over weight vehicles stopping hard on hot, soft pavement. I have noticed in SC on Hwy 17 several intersections are being paved with concrete to avoid this.

Fix our roads, that is the solution.

Always frost me that time, expense and effort are put into installing "BUMP" signs, why not repair.

Sorry for the rant, sore spot with me.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:59 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree with you Trode. Road condition pmo ! Taxes for roads goes up / state workers wages standing around goes up and road conditions goes down. This is a sore topic for me !
Old 06-12-2014, 12:12 PM   #19

Roads not going to get much better, other than hit & miss here & there.
The deal is, back when the roads were being built, maffia king pins stole the moneys suppose to be used & we end up with less than half of the quality of a highway when being built, so now it aint no money to fix the roads now cause the maffis is our government, but them king pins living high on the hog up in the Hamptons.

50% of the ill handling of the F53 chassis, is coming from our highways. Do you notice ill handling when on a new section of highway, even when trucks passing ?.
Neil
Old 06-12-2014, 10:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Leigh Racing View Post
You do enough checking into & reading & studying, you'll not get anything better than the Kelderman air ride system to smooth the F53 ride out.

Those leaf springs that Ford uses in the front, are to stiff, so every road bump, concrete joint in the highways transmits through the spring hangers, on into the chassis & then through the coach body.
One thing I would have to comend the coach builders for, they have done a superb job of mounting the cabinets onto the walls of these motorhomes, cause if not, they surely would be laying in the floor after a few trips, specially up north.

Someone mentioned in another thread, about maybe some of the road shock from road bumps, being taken out by the rubber mounts between the chassis & coach body frame.
Would like to know which coach MFG is doing that process, because all I've looked, at the coach body frame work is welded direct to the chassis rails.
Neil
I have a question. I have the Kelderman Air Suspension System front and back and I'm still tweaking the air pressures. What air pressures are you running?
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
I have a question. I have the Kelderman Air Suspension System front and back and I'm still tweaking the air pressures. What air pressures are you running?
I dont have the Kilderman system on our F53 RV, a member on RV.Net does though & I'm going by what hes saying about it from several of the threads he started.
He has a new RV now though, think he went with a DP this time.
I would think the more pressure you run the system at, more solid it will make the air bag & will tend to make the harshness of the road transfer into the coach body more

To tell you the truth though, in all my years of driving, trucking 20 years over the road & drove several different class A coaches, the two DPs I drove rode just as harsh as the F53 on ruff highways. The DPs had more of a float to it, but them bridge joints & highway joints jolted through the coach just like our F53.
Back when I was driving trucks, they belonged to the company I drove for & the ruff roads were just something I had to deal with, but today, this is my RV those highways are damaging..

Just think every time when you hit one of those hard bumps, what the drive train is going through, specially those U joints in the driveshaft if your on the gas pulling hard.
Neil
Old 06-13-2014, 05:18 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Neil,
I have no trucking experience but I always thought that the 18-wheelers with the air ride and air ride seats did ride very well. To read that you said your truck rode abaout as harsh as the F-53 gives me some hope. We're not a lot better off than than the truckers.

So far I've got the front/rear track bars, CHF, Bilstein shocks (need Koni's), steering shock, steer-safe and the ride is OK unless we hit a real bad stretch. Would like to add at least koni's in the front and air bags but don't have the bucks yet. I sent an -e-mail to Mike at 5 Star tune and he assured me that the STAR TUNE would solve about 95 % of the shifting issues while giving a little more performance and economy.

TeJay
Old 06-13-2014, 11:19 PM   #23

Why do you think they need the air ride seat pedastle in the big rigs? It is not because they ride so smooth. I drove box trucks and they also rode far worse than my F53 unless they were loaded to their max capacity and then it was still worse. Many were so bad they required you to wear a kidney belt so you did not end up with severe kidney pain at the end of the day.

Bilsteins have always been harsh to me and not the best choice for the F53. The newer F53 has some major refinements to the front springs over those made 10 years ago but you are still talking about 10 or so ton trucks riding on 12 to 16 ply tires.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:50 AM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Leigh Racing View Post
Someone mentioned in another thread, about maybe some of the road shock from road bumps, being taken out by the rubber mounts between the chassis & coach body frame.
Would like to know which coach MFG is doing that process, because all I've looked, at the coach body frame work is welded direct to the chassis rails.
Neil
I've got these on our Jayco. They help grant the basement storage on a C, necessitate the use of a step, and elevate the RV in general in terms of height... Those are the downsides.

Our RV is 9 years old and those pucks don't look to be in great shape (they're rubber). Replacing them would mean elevating the coach off the frame... So I'd rather not have them and just work to adjust the suspension dampening.

I did order a set of new bilsteen rear shocks recently. Look pretty easy to install, so we'll see if that helps.

I've also had the F53 with Firestone air bag suspension (cab adjustable). I didn't find that it was particularly better or worse. Bad roads with a coach full of stuff, it sounds like the entire place is going to rattle out....

I would like to compare to a Sprinter chassis, A super-C on a commercial chassis, and an entry level diesel pusher...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:27 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by flangley View Post
What is average mileage for replacing shocks?
The Bilsteins on a new F53 are junk the day you drive it off the lot. I change ours to Konies after 700 miles, which was 700 miles too long! So if you have the cheap junk Bilsteins like came on our 13 Baystar, I would say any mileage over 1 would be the average mileage when they need replacing. I would never again drive a F53 off the lot unless the dealer replaced the junk Bilsteins out for new Konies on their dime. Other wise I would walk away. The first time I was ignorant, and thought the nice pretty Bilsteins looked like a good shock. The pretty paint job is all they have going for them. You will never have nothing but a pounding rough ride with brand new Bilsteins on a rig. They are junk the day Ford bolts the cheap pos things on. Konies are a vast improvement, its like night and day. Makes the ride tolerable, which is a vast improvement over the cheap factory supplied worthless Bilsteins!
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:49 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Neil,
I have no trucking experience but I always thought that the 18-wheelers with the air ride and air ride seats did ride very well. To read that you said your truck rode abaout as harsh as the F-53 gives me some hope. We're not a lot better off than than the truckers.

So far I've got the front/rear track bars, CHF, Bilstein shocks (need Koni's), steering shock, steer-safe and the ride is OK unless we hit a real bad stretch. Would like to add at least koni's in the front and air bags but don't have the bucks yet. I sent an -e-mail to Mike at 5 Star tune and he assured me that the STAR TUNE would solve about 95 % of the shifting issues while giving a little more performance and economy.

TeJay
Tejay most all your modes only affect handling, not ride. I would put Konies all around before I did any air bags. If I ever add air bags, it will be along with 600 HP in the rear. The 5 Star Tune will do wonders for the shifting and gives a good power increase, but I've seen no fuel savings whatsoever. My semi trucks ride much better then any F53. They have air ride suspension, air ride cabs and air ride seats. They probable ride as good as any DP.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:06 AM   #27

14 Pete with 700 Cat and air on suspension, cab and seats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	65453  
Old 06-15-2014, 11:09 AM   #28

A shot of a 2014 with the 700 Cat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg