Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2022, 11:22 PM   #1

Need suspension help. F53 V8

Hey everybody. First time post here aside from the introduction post. I recently bought a 1997 Itasca Suncruiser. I'm trying to figure out what is stock on my rig and what upgrades have been done. Starting with the front. I'll try to post a picture. I see the obvious Davis Tracbar. But I'm not really sure on the sway bar and the rest of the stuff. Doesn't look like what I was expecting to see. I figured I would need to fix/upgrade the whole thing. Can y'all shed some light on what I have, what can be kept vs what needs to be replaced. Later I will post some pics of the rear. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV_Chassis_Front.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	454.9 KB
ID:	371578  
gaddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2022, 05:05 AM   #2

Track bar, as mentioned.

All of the springs are a steering stabilizer. They hold the steering straight ahead.
Personally, I'd junk that stuff and get a steering stabilizer that clamps to the tie rod, like a Safety Steer.

The first U shapped bar going from wheel to wheel is the anti sway bar.
You will need to measure is diameter and do some research to see if it's larger the stock.

Maybe it still has a lable on it or if a Ford part #, it's probably stock.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 09:08 AM   #3

Thanks. I though the factory sway bar mounted the other way around with the ends pointing forward...with 2 holes that folks use to do the cheap handling fix? And I'm not sure what the 2 brackets are under the spring mounts that look like 2 ducks looking at each other. I've never seen a pic or video with those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Track bar, as mentioned.

All of the springs are a steering stabilizer. They hold the steering straight ahead.
Personally, I'd junk that stuff and get a steering stabilizer that clamps to the tie rod, like a Safety Steer.

The first U shapped bar going from wheel to wheel is the anti sway bar.
You will need to measure is diameter and do some research to see if it's larger the stock.

Maybe it still has a lable on it or if a Ford part #, it's probably stock.
Old 07-21-2022, 09:30 AM   #4

The sway bar change came in 1999 when Ford introduced the new wider F53 chassis and V10 engine.

I don't believe they made a 1998 chassis, yours may be built on a 1997 chassis.

Does yours have 16 inch tires and a V8 engine ?
Old 07-21-2022, 09:37 AM   #5

Yes. 16" tires. The Ford production date on the body tag is 11/1997. It may have been sold as a 1998.
Old 07-21-2022, 10:10 AM   #6

They went to 19 and 22 inch tires in 1999.
Old 07-22-2022, 09:00 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
All the springs at the very bottom and definitely an add on. It is called a, "Steer-Safe" and is designed to keep your front wheels straight in case of a blow out. Yes the springs stretch when you turn the wheel so that spring tension does assist in keeping the wheel straight ahead as you drive. We had the steer-safe on our 1999 chassis which was transferred to the 2013 chassis. Eventually we added a RM (Road Master) steering stabilizer (heavy spring and shock combination) which dampens sudden wind gusts with the shock and the heavy spring also keeps the steering wheel straight ahead.

The only negative aspect of having both is our turning radius is minimized some. It's not a problem on trips because we only have to turn really sharp one time and that's when exiting our drive and heading up the hill. I have to back up about 3 to 4 feet to make the turn. That's a 15 second job that I can live with for the extra steering wheel centering control which is needed any and all the time one is driving.

Those two cast iron ducks looking at each other things I don't have a clue. Maybe if we could see how they attach out at the wheels it would make some sense.
Old 07-22-2022, 05:34 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies. I believe the duck looking things might be stock to the 97 chassis. I did manage to find a picture of another one that had them. They connect via the front 2 spring u-bolts. The only other connection is the end of the sway bar end link. Maybe they also serve as some sort of extreme hard bump stop or something? Looks like it has fairly new leaf springs up front.

And thanks for the name of the steering springs. May add or replace with a shock/spring type unit. Although it does have what I think is the original dampener on the tie rod bar. I think everything is stock, except for the trutrac bar and the steering springs.

On the rear, I think it is all stock except for Firestone Ride Rite airbags. I am repairing a broken air line on those, and I just replaced the non-existent rear sway bar bushings (Napa had them). It should help with the crazy body roll it had when I drove it home. Luckily I bought it 5 miles from home.

I don't really have anymore questions at this time. Just need to drive it after I fix the airbags and decide what I want to replace or upgrade.
Old 07-23-2022, 07:04 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The springs are a SteerSafe steering stabilizer. Look them up at SteerSafe.com. I had one on a Chevy P30 chassis once. I thought it worked well.

Because the SteerSafe attaches directly to the steering knuckle it should provide better straight line stability than the steering stabilizers that attach to the tie rod. By being attached to the steering knuckle any looseness in the tie rod ends is cancelled out by the SteerSafe. In practical application both types probably work about the same. If I were choosing one over the other I would probably go the the SteerSafe.

What the SteerSafe doesn't have is a shock absorber integral to the steering stabilizer. It sounds like you already have a shock absorber steering dampener.

Because you already have the SteerSafe I wouldn't throw it away in exchange for the other type steering stabilizers. I don't think you would gain anything.

Why do you think you need to change or upgrade anything? It looks like the previous owner(s) have already done it for you. Unless there is a specific handling characteristic that is making it difficult to drive why change it?

Regardless of what you do it will still drive like a cracker box on wheels. You might make it better but it will never handle and drive like a 2022 Corvette. I think one of the real limiting factors of the particular Ford chassis you have is the 16" tires. That is a really small tire for such a large vehicle!
Old 07-23-2022, 04:09 PM   #10

You are right, it already has 2 good upgrades on the front with the trac-bar and the Safe Steer setup...and the airbags in the back. I do not plan to take any of those off. I was just trying to identify what I had. The pictures and videos that I had been looking at were the 99 up chassis...so I was confused for a moment. A rear track bar is the only other thing I may consider. Otherwise I just plan to get what I have up to snuff and motor on.

I appreciate all the input.
Old 07-24-2022, 09:08 AM   #11

Just to follow-up. I replaced the rear sway bar bushings, repaired the airbags and aired them to 40lbs...which raised the rear a little. Took it on about a 10 mile drive on county and state roads. It did really good. The Safe Steer springs are noisy sometimes when turning, but they definitely help pull the wheels to center. Body roll is much improved. Time to move on to sealing roof leaks. Thanks everybody.
Old 07-24-2022, 11:46 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yeah, I forgot to mention that the exposed springs of the SteerSafe do play a little music when making sharp turns like in parking lots and RV parks. If you like blue grass music you should like it. It is a twangy!
Old 07-24-2022, 05:24 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
Yeah, I forgot to mention that the exposed springs of the SteerSafe do play a little music when making sharp turns like in parking lots and RV parks. If you like blue grass music you should like it. It is a twangy! [emoji23]
Steersafe works works great on my 1999 Dutch Star. Have it on for 6 years. I spray the springs twice e year and all joints with white lithium spray. No squeaks or rust Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211110-224708.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	371868

Sent from my moto e6 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f53, suspension