RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2019, 01:22 PM   #1

Need to drain old gasoline from mh

A friend --really not me-- left the gasoline in his motorhome for about 3 years and is now having problems, I think because of the old gasoline. He lived in the MH for those 3 years. He started it about once a month and ran it until the temperature gage reached the "normal" level.

I've told him to drain all the old gasoline replace the filter and put some new gasoline, Stabil, and Techron in the tank and then try to restart and drive it.

Has anyone drained about 50 gallons of gasoline (amount he thinks is still in the tank) from their MH? What would be the best way to drain the tank ? His is, I think, a 2013 Bounder built on the Ford v 10 Chassis. I've volunteered to help him.

thanks
SNAIL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2019, 01:39 PM   #2

What kind of issues is he having ?

If anything, drain 5 gallons from the bottom of the tank, to get the seperated water/methanol out.

The rest of the gas will burn fine.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:40 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Three years old may be starting to push it. Drive it and burn it down as low as you can, then fill it up with fresh.

When I replaced the fuel pump in my Southwind, the pump was still working. I disconnected the fuel line from the filter and hooked up a hose to the filter. I then jumped the fuel pump relay and pumped it into 5 gallon cans.

F53 Replace Fuel Pump – 1999 Southwind 35S

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:54 PM   #4

He indicates the usual problems with old gasoline--missing, lose of power, rough running engine.

I think i'll just suggest that he drives until most of the old gasoline is gone then refill with new gasoline, add Stabil and Chevron Techron and see what happens. Maybe change the fuel filter if it still runs "rough".

Sounds like several have done this in the past with good results.

thanks for the comments.
SNAIL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:57 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've got a maybe idea for draining but I'm not sure if it will work for a 2013 F53. At one time Ford built the chassis with an external fuel filter mount on the inside of the driver's frame rail just forward of the vapor canisters. At least my 2006 has one. If there you could remove the filter add a couple of feet of 3/8" ID (guessing on the size) fuel proof hose to the fuel line coming from the tank. Have a bunch of gas cans ready and turn the ignition key to run. The fuel pump is in the tank so it will drain the tank for you.

If no filter there might be someplace in the fuel line that is accessible where it makes a transition from hard line to soft that you might be able to tap into. Sure beats old school siphoning with a cut off section of garden hose.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:10 AM   #6

Get a syphon hose and remove as much of the gas as possible. I would be careful about running that old gas through the engine, it would be taking a big risk for a major engine repair.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Get a syphon hose and remove as much of the gas as possible. I would be careful about running that old gas through the engine, it would be taking a big risk for a major engine repair.
I was never able to get a siphon hose all the way down to the tank on my Challenger, long way with several turns.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:47 AM   #8

Had an issue with a non-functioning fuel pump on an 08 E450 Ford, 35+ gallons of fuel. Elevated the rear tires on 2x12's, 3 ton jack under the tank, dropped the tank after removing the 4 bolts holding the straps. Slid the tank out on a large piece of outdoor carpet which I use as a portable garage floor. Any option is better than this provided you can get the fuel to flow.

Harbor Freight sells a siphon pump which will work for a single time when pumping gasoline.
Clemson State of Mind
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigzag03 View Post
I was never able to get a siphon hose all the way down to the tank on my Challenger, long way with several turns.

Try putting a long wire inside the hose to give it some stiffness.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:13 PM   #10

Quote:
I decided to never be in a position where I needed the fuel in the tank again.
I had 50 gal of stored fuel for home gen because we were going to ride out Irma at home. When she changed direction enough for us to worry about storm surge we decided to bug out, and dumped it all into Big Mama.
When we returned 2 days later, I really wished first that we had stayed, and second that I could reclaim that fuel. Before I got desperate enough to get SERIOUS about retrieving it, a local station got themselves going on a cash basis and we kept the home fires burning so to speak until FPL lit the lights again.
We were lucky. The old girl will never be without a full tank going into the exciting season.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:23 PM   #11

Mine had sat for 5 years when I got her. Mixed in stabil and topped off the tank (about 40 gallons). No problems after that.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:29 PM   #12

I like what this Youtuber did by using a $12 fuel pump and 12V battery. Has fuel filter inlets so it is easy to connect to any fuel line port. One can also use it for many other uses such as moving fuel to/from gas cans. Go to the 2:42 minute of the video.

SawdustRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:22 PM   #13

Most generators have a small fuel pump. You could disconnect that line and add one to your gas cans and jump to it.
Downside would be that it would be very slow and you'd have to watch it to make sure you didn't overflow a tank. Also you can only drain to about 1/4 tank.
Upside is you don't have to crawl under the coach or rig anything beyond one wire for 12 volts and a bit of fuel type hose.
GypsyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:56 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Suspect somewhere in that filler neck is a RUBBER COUPLING w/ hose clamps?

Tags
gas