Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2008, 04:05 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Noticed some grinding type noise coming from the rear the other day. Took it in and found that all four inboard brake pads were shot and the rotors were all damaged from the metal on metal from the pads. Apparently, from what we could see was that the rotors had alot of rust on the inside. That wore the inboard pads down and when they were pretty well gone, then they damaged that side of the rotor. So four set of pads, four new rotors, brake fluid flush and wheel bearings packed later, I left there with a much lighter wallet than I went in with
I have less than 22k miles on it, have had the brakes checked by a Ford garage at least once a year and had the Brake fluid changed every other year. The calipers were working fine. It appears to be strictly caused by the rust that built up on the rotors. Now what caused that rust to build up is anyones guess. Although I hear it is not that uncommon even on cars that have high miles on them. I am guessing that when the Ford garage "checked" my brakes in the past, they only looked at the outside pad and thought everything was fine. I had asked them just a couple of months ago to check the calipers when they did the brake fluid flush. So I doubt they checked the calipers or they would have seen the inside pads being almost shot at that time.
So look closely at the inside of your rotors and check the condition of those pads.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2008, 04:05 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Noticed some grinding type noise coming from the rear the other day. Took it in and found that all four inboard brake pads were shot and the rotors were all damaged from the metal on metal from the pads. Apparently, from what we could see was that the rotors had alot of rust on the inside. That wore the inboard pads down and when they were pretty well gone, then they damaged that side of the rotor. So four set of pads, four new rotors, brake fluid flush and wheel bearings packed later, I left there with a much lighter wallet than I went in with
I have less than 22k miles on it, have had the brakes checked by a Ford garage at least once a year and had the Brake fluid changed every other year. The calipers were working fine. It appears to be strictly caused by the rust that built up on the rotors. Now what caused that rust to build up is anyones guess. Although I hear it is not that uncommon even on cars that have high miles on them. I am guessing that when the Ford garage "checked" my brakes in the past, they only looked at the outside pad and thought everything was fine. I had asked them just a couple of months ago to check the calipers when they did the brake fluid flush. So I doubt they checked the calipers or they would have seen the inside pads being almost shot at that time.
So look closely at the inside of your rotors and check the condition of those pads.
Mike
Old 05-29-2008, 05:29 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
That's a good tip Mike. Last Fall I had mine in for it's rust check application and the MVI. They failed the MVI saying there was something wrong with the back brakes (couldn't tell me what was wrong) but that they couldn't fix it. I had noticed the rust (a bit of surface rust)on the disks so I didn't argue. I took it over to the Kennworth dealer for the MVI and told them what was said. They told me there was nothing wrong with the brakes, however changed the rear pads as I asked. The rotors are still shiny no rust. I believe although the pads might look like they have a lot of wear on them, they are about licked for use on the rear wheels. If you see slight surface rust on the rotors, change the pads as they are not contacting the rotor surface with much pressure. I'll have the front pads changed this fall and the Kennworth Truck place will get the buisness.
E 350 Super Duty
Cheers Willis
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:13 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hard to believe it's from rust as both sides would have the same rust, rotor is same material on both sides. Have a friend in the brake business, if the piston side pads are wearing faster then the out side the pistons are hanging up and not releasing pressure keeping pad on rotor. If the none piston side is wearing the caliper is hanging up not releasing pressure that why we lube the slides and pins once a year.

Just my opinion.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:50 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
They checked both calipers and pistons and all appeared to be working normally. The inside part of the rotor was definately alot more rusty than the outside and pitted. They claim to see alot of this on all types of vehicles- cars and trucks both. Napa is supposedly in the process of developing brake pads that has a stronger material for the inside pad than the outside one to help address some of these issues. Sure wish I knew for sure what happened, but I can tell you one thing. They will be looked at much much closer in the future!!
Mike
Mike
Old 05-30-2008, 04:07 AM   #6

For that it's worth, I was told when a vehicle has sit for several days or more to lightly tap the brakes several times for about 2 car lengths when you first move the vehicle to clean the rust scale off the rotors and drums before applying full braking pressure to the brakes. This is especially true if you travel on winter roads or spend time within 10 miles of salt water and don't move the vehicle every few days.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:19 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
The thing I dont know for sure is how the life of my chassis started out. Did it sit at Winnebago waiting for a body? Did the coach come thru some winter weather on the way to the dealership where I think it sat for about a year. It may have had a bad start in life!
Old 06-02-2008, 05:53 AM   #8

Mike these chassis's do sit a long time from the time they are made to the time they are sold,don't they? I used to laugh at guys saying they got their car off the truck and its never sit out side in the weather. I used to work for Ford Motors in Michigan and those things set outside a long time.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote