RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2020, 03:32 PM   #1

Angry NEW F53 - Kingpins bad

2020 JAYCO Precept Prestige 36H, driving home after delivery noticed that although it tracked fairly straight, steering wheel needed to be offset about 30 degrees to right when driving straight. Took it to an independent shop to have it checked/aligned and they showed me play in the front tires, in that they could actually move the tire back and forth with wheels off the ground. Obviously they didn't want to diagnose because the unit was new. Finally found a Ford truck store that would look at it. The found that the kingpins had been incorrectly installed from the factory, with the bearings upside down and full of water. They replaced all and aligned front end, but now steering wheel is now slightly off to left when driving. I took it back to independent shop where they found toe in off 1/2 inch. After they aligned it, all is good and steering wheel is straight. What a goat rope. FORD really blew this, both at the factory and the dealer level. Quality control is so lacking on this unit. Obviously FORD can't drive the F53 chassis when they build it, but one would think that JAYCO does. I learned they do not either. Independent drivers delivery them to the dealer,
After bringing this deficiency to JAYCO's attention I was told that my problem was with FORD. So much for accountability and responsibility!
Please read my post on F53 air conditioning problems. I am very disappointed to say the least!
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2020, 04:04 PM   #2

This is not the first time I've read about a new F-53 with mis-installed kingpins, on this forum.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:05 PM   #3

You can't adjust the tow to straighten the steering wheel on a F53 straight axle. Watch for tire wear, if they did.

You need to move the spline on the steering shaft to steering box connection.

Its called a " Clear Vision " adjustment.

Search it out on here.

Yes, Ford has been screwing up king pins and wheel bearings for a few years now.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:34 AM   #4

I am aware of, “CLEAR VISION”, alignment. Right up there with the TLAR method.
Point is, it was manufactured incorrectly and a FORD FLEETSIDE TRUCK center was unable to correct it. I have only 2,000 miles on it so tire wear is not an issue.
Check out my chassis air conditioning issue on this forum.
This must have been built last one on Friday or first one on Monday! ��
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f53