Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2020, 06:31 AM   #15

my first model year Jeep Cherokee was downed for a month with a broken speedometer, waiting for parts. Seems to be common practice in vehicle industry, prioritize production over existing customer
#10050 GVWR, #18500 GCWR Smoke that!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2020, 06:34 AM   #16

I see all three (GM, FORD and Ram) with boxes that are rusting out over the rear wheel. This has been going on for 45 or more years. If they can't fix this issue I doubt they can handle the hard things. If Honda would make a rear truck these three would be out of business.
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:50 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Not trying to take up for ford, but it sounds like they got a bad supplier. Of course they should fix the problem, but if it were me, I would buy some premium wires and make up a new set of wires and be on my way. There is probably no problem with the coils, they fail because of high resistance in the wires as they fail.
Old 09-13-2020, 10:51 PM   #18

My 7.3 has huge issues

purchased my class a Jayco new on 5/1/20. On the trip to my home the RV began making a noticeable rattle and whining noise. Also the chassis was badly out of alignment. Jayco paid for an alignment which corrected that issue.

On May 14th I brought the RV to my local dealership to be looked at. The RV was returned to me the next day. The dealer diagnosed the whining noise as a power steering pump but said they could not get the part from Ford to replace it. As of today they still have not been able to get this part. While the whining noise is annoying it has not effected the operation of the vehicle. The dealer was not able to diagnose the rattling noise.

On 6/27/20 the service engine light began to flash. The rattle was now practically continuous and louder. I was beginning a trip so I stopped at another Ford dealer and asked them to read the code. They told me it was a cylinder 3 misfire and it should be brought in for repair.

When the RV is in the state of cylinder 3 misfire it runs very rough and has significantly reduced power. I’m forced to manually shift the engine to keep the RPMs higher than the automatic shift points. It will keep going but is difficult to drive.

On 7/6/20 I brought the RV back to My local Ford dealer. On 7/15/20 I picked up the RV. The dealer had replaced the coil and wire on cylinder 3. The parts were not in stock and took several days to come in from Ford. The engine light was off and the RV ran well.

During the next trip with the RV the service engine light began to flash again, and the rattle came back. The RV ran very rough and had significantly reduced power.

On 7/21/20 I brought the RV back to Dealership. On 7/31/20 I picked up the RV. The dealer stated that they once again changed the coil and wire on cylinder 3 and replaced all the spark plugs plus did significant diagnosis with the assistance of Ford. The dealership felt that it likely also needed the computer to be replaced which controls the coils because it was highly unusual for the same coil and wire to fail so closely in time. Ford disagreed with the need to replace the computer and it was not done. The RV ran well, and the light was off when I picked it up.

On 8/1/20 (the next day) while on another trip the service engine light began to flash and the rattle began again. The RV ran very rough and had significantly reduced power.

On 8/3 or 8/4/20 I brought the RV to another dealership. They returned it the same day and diagnosed the issue as faulty fuel injector(s). They said they could not get the parts for at least two weeks. I elected for them not to order the parts due to this dealer being approximately 400 miles from my house.

I contacted My local dealership on 8/10 and set an appointment for the first possible time which was 8/17 for drop off. As of today 9/13/20 the RV is still at the local Ford dealership.

The dealership has informed me that Ford will not authorize them to make the repairs they believe are necessary to correct this continuous issue. I have been without my new RV for at least 10 weeks since purchasing it and it has only run correctly for the first 750 or so miles. Ford is choosing not to get the parts out for repair. Lookout for this new engine.
Nrabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:41 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrabel View Post
purchased my class a Jayco new on 5/1/20. On the trip to my home the RV began making a noticeable rattle and whining noise. Also the chassis was badly out of alignment. Jayco paid for an alignment which corrected that issue.

On May 14th I brought the RV to my local dealership to be looked at. The RV was returned to me the next day. The dealer diagnosed the whining noise as a power steering pump but said they could not get the part from Ford to replace it. As of today they still have not been able to get this part. While the whining noise is annoying it has not effected the operation of the vehicle. The dealer was not able to diagnose the rattling noise.

Word of advice and warning. I wouldn't drive the RV with a whining power steering pump if you have the Hydroboost brake system. Long story short, before I bought my 2015 the power steering pump died and left bits of metal in the power steering fluid which eventually took out (after 4 years) the Hydroboost pump. That was a big bill to replace. Not only do you have to replace the power steering pump but all the fluid too and the system has to be flushed. There is no filter in the system to catch any debris.
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:08 AM   #20

Ford called

Just heard from Ford. There is a known issue with spark plugs and wires for early 7.3s. The wires are on national back order. I get that a new engine will have issues but it’s amazing to me that 35 days into the third instance of cylinder misfire I still don’t have parts heading my way. I’m assuming Ford is still rolling new vehicles with the 7.3 off the factory line so they could send parts my way if they choose to.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:02 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have the dealer call their FSE ( field service engineer) if he is good, he can get parts from the engine plant.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:14 AM   #22
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Just heard from Ford. There is a known issue with spark plugs and wires for early 7.3s. The wires are on national back order. I get that a new engine will have issues but it’s amazing to me that 35 days into the third instance of cylinder misfire I still don’t have parts heading my way. I’m assuming Ford is still rolling new vehicles with the 7.3 off the factory line so they could send parts my way if they choose to.
IMO you are correct. But you need to remember, Profits before anything else.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:23 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
Wow. Didn’t see that coming!

Never Ever purchase a first model year run of anything.
They want us to be the test subjects for their poor design.
This is going to be a big problem for a lot of people.

Lucky for me I held off on purchasing a new MH.
I just did not trust the engineers to get it right
the FIRST or EVEN second model years will be junk.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:31 AM   #24

Quote:

On 6/27/20 the service engine light began to flash. The rattle was now practically continuous and louder. I was beginning a trip so I stopped at another Ford dealer and asked them to read the code. They told me it was a cylinder 3 misfire and it should be brought in for repair.

When the RV is in the state of cylinder 3 misfire it runs very rough and has significantly reduced power. I’m forced to manually shift the engine to keep the RPMs higher than the automatic shift points. It will keep going but is difficult to drive.

On 7/6/20 I brought the RV back to My local Ford dealer. On 7/15/20 I picked up the RV. The dealer had replaced the coil and wire on cylinder 3. The parts were not in stock and took several days to come in from Ford. The engine light was off and the RV ran well.

During the next trip with the RV the service engine light began to flash again, and the rattle came back. The RV ran very rough and had significantly reduced power.

On 7/21/20 I brought the RV back to Dealership. On 7/31/20 I picked up the RV. The dealer stated that they once again changed the coil and wire on cylinder 3 and replaced all the spark plugs plus did significant diagnosis with the assistance of Ford. The dealership felt that it likely also needed the computer to be replaced which controls the coils because it was highly unusual for the same coil and wire to fail so closely in time. Ford disagreed with the need to replace the computer and it was not done. The RV ran well, and the light was off when I picked it up.

On 8/1/20 (the next day) while on another trip the service engine light began to flash and the rattle began again. The RV ran very rough and had significantly reduced power.

On 8/3 or 8/4/20 I brought the RV to another dealership. They returned it the same day and diagnosed the issue as faulty fuel injector(s). They said they could not get the parts for at least two weeks. I elected for them not to order the parts due to this dealer being approximately 400 miles from my house.

I contacted My local dealership on 8/10 and set an appointment for the first possible time which was 8/17 for drop off. As of today 9/13/20 the RV is still at the local Ford dealership.

The dealership has informed me that Ford will not authorize them to make the repairs they believe are necessary to correct this continuous issue. I have been without my new RV for at least 10 weeks since purchasing it and it has only run correctly for the first 750 or so miles. Ford is choosing not to get the parts out for repair. Lookout for this new engine.
Sorry to read this post I can tell this is a very upsetting and costly time.
Like you our Vacation is very important as we enjoy our family time together.

Keep us updated but it sounds like this new engine in Junk.
I would not trust it to travel any great distance
Start pushing for the Lemon Law
Old 09-14-2020, 11:34 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post
OMG more Ford spark plug problems and now the spark plug wires and coil issues on the new 7.3 and people cant get the parts, 3 month or longer wait..

This problem is showing up as little as 500 miles on the motor, what will be the problems after 10,000 miles ?

I will keep my 08 Bounder till she dies a hard death, long live the V-10...

I was just returned from a 3 week camping trip. I did not realize this was going on so soon after the new release.

I agree I will hold on to my current MH with 58,466 miles and still going strong
Old 09-14-2020, 11:50 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELHUB View Post
Sorry to read this post I can tell this is a very upsetting and costly time.
Like you our Vacation is very important as we enjoy our family time together.

Keep us updated but it sounds like this new engine in Junk.
I would not trust it to travel any great distance
Start pushing for the Lemon Law
The engine isn't JUNK, its got heat shield issues that overheat the plug wires.

A month ago everybody was raving about it !!
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:55 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The engine isn't JUNK, its got heat shield issues that overheat the plug wires.

A month ago everybody was raving about it !!

Sorry I never ever raved about it.
Ford only went to the New Engine to save money.
I warned everyone I spoke with to STAY far away from this NEW motor.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:27 PM   #28

Cylinder locations

I’m trying to end my downtime and be ready for the next occurrence of a bad wire so I purchased some new wires. Does anyone know where I can find the cylinder numbers locations for this engine. Maybe I’m looking in the wrong place but I can’t find anything. Thanks

Tags
ems, engine, ford, problem, problems