Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2020, 07:04 PM   #29

The part is listed around, hard to tell if in stock: https://parts.lakelandford.com/p/For...C3Z12286A.html
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2020, 08:22 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
Maybe this video will get Ford's attention, but he could have said everything that needed to be said in about 2 minutes.

PS. I am guaranteed to never have spark plug wire issues with my 7.3.

AL
BigHomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 01:53 PM   #31

Spoke to Ford again

As I posted earlier I’ve had cylinder misfire for 45 days on my motorhome. Ford now says they are writing a TSB on the issue. Ford says it’s the RV manufactures fault that the wires are burning out because there isn’t enough airflow over the engine to cool it. Wonder why the Ford truck in the video above has issues. One guess is if you ask Ford it’s not their fault. I wish I could find some wires to purchase myself and get my HM running. I’ve tried to order from a couple places with no luck.
Nrabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 02:57 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHomey View Post
Maybe this video will get Ford's attention, but he could have said everything that needed to be said in about 2 minutes.

AL

I agree I will never have this problem either.
I will stay away from any MH that has this motor in it.
I also love how FORD is placing blame on the MH builders.
They have this same issue with their own F series trucks as well.
So it clearly has nothing to do with the MH builders and is a FORD issue.
I tell all of my Friends and family never purchase a FIRST RUN for any motor.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 03:13 PM   #33

I have the v10. As with the 63 Chev van I had so long ago, I fabbed up a deflector to add more air flow while moving.

I have on my list of to do to add a fan or two, such as a round brake fan and ducting, to increase flow when parked, such as when getting to a site. The cab heat after arrival is very noticible.

Maybe these ideas will trigger something to help those with the new v8.
Do26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 04:01 PM   #34

oh you're just flustering yourself. Can we all just say CHINA!
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 04:08 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast E View Post

So, do you know for a FACT that the failing wires are made in China?

Link?
Old 09-17-2020, 10:45 AM   #36
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrabel View Post
As I posted earlier I’ve had cylinder misfire for 45 days on my motorhome. Ford now says they are writing a TSB on the issue. Ford says it’s the RV manufactures fault that the wires are burning out because there isn’t enough airflow over the engine to cool it. Wonder why the Ford truck in the video above has issues. One guess is if you ask Ford it’s not their fault. I wish I could find some wires to purchase myself and get my HM running. I’ve tried to order from a couple places with no luck.
Not surprising that they say something like that, I have gotten a BS answer from Ford several times over the years.

I would think that there would be certain specs for front air intake requirements in their up-builders guide. But they likely saved big bucks in ink not including the info.

I nosed around in one of the popular Ford forums and only saw a couple of mentions about the wire issue, one which was the video that was posted.

Good luck!
Old 09-17-2020, 10:52 AM   #37
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast E View Post
If you look at the video at about the 3:52 mark you can see "Made in Mexico."
Old 09-17-2020, 11:03 AM   #38

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHomey View Post

AL
Or my 6.9................
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 02:11 PM   #39

From Ford: “Quality is a top priority. We are aware of some issues with the spark plug wires used on the 7.3-liter engine. Our supplier has fixed the spark plug wires for the 7.3 liter used in the F-Series Super Duty. We are working hard to increase the supply of this part. We are working toward a solution for the spark plug wires in the F-53 motor home chassis. Customers experiencing issues should visit their local Ford dealer for assistance and possible repairs under warranty.”

https://www.tfltruck.com/2020/09/fix...g-wire-update/
Old 09-26-2020, 06:55 PM   #40

Seems like I remember back in the day the Ford V10 blowing out spark plugs in their aluminum heads. At the time, everyone said that engine was absolute junk and absolutely don't buy. That engine soon became the gold standard in gas RV engines. I really hate that the buyers of this first gen 7.3 engine are having issues but if I were a betting man, I would say these issues will be worked out and this motor will become a stalworth for many years to come.
Electrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:33 PM   #41

Ford Super Duty Owner
I thought when the 7.3 engine came out it really wasn't new but also used on a line of trucks. I also heard that it had a good record on the trucks. Now I'm hearing that it is new. I understand it is new to the RV application but not a new first time in production engine? So which is it?

If it's only new to the RV chassis I guess cooling air flow not getting to the engine might cause the plug wire failures. What are they using that it needs plug wires and why did they scrap the COP (Coil Over Plug) system?? That worked well on the V-10's for a very long time. They did eventually solve the plug failure issue.

So Ford went from a good (COP) system back to plug wires so they can have more issues to solve.

Eletrified, You may be correct down a few years. In the mean time why do the customers have to suffer because of Fords ineptness and lack of planning?? Why deny repair claims and deny extending a warranty because they had no plans to supply critical parts when and if they failed?? I realize they have to make $$$$$ and can't foresee every issue. So they employ a new spark system and it's going to work without fail on a new application for an RV chassis? Yea RIGHT!!! How's that working for the customer???
Old 09-27-2020, 07:32 AM   #42

[/QUOTE]B]Eletrified, [/B] You may be correct down a few years. In the mean time why do the customers have to suffer because of Fords ineptness and lack of planning?? Why deny repair claims and deny extending a warranty because they had no plans to supply critical parts when and if they failed?? I realize they have to make $$$$$ and can't foresee every issue. So they employ a new spark system and it's going to work without fail on a new application for an RV chassis? Yea RIGHT!!! How's that working for the customer???[/QUOTE]

TeJay, I couldn't agree with you more. It is absolute crap that Ford is not standing behind their product here and now.
Electrified is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, engine, ford, problem, problems