Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2020, 01:52 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
I thought when the 7.3 engine came out it really wasn't new but also used on a line of trucks. I also heard that it had a good record on the trucks. Now I'm hearing that it is new. I understand it is new to the RV application but not a new first time in production engine? So which is it?
The Ford 7.3L godzilla GAS engine is a new design introduced for the 2020 model year in both pickup trucks and RV's.

Perhaps you are thinking of the 7.3L diesel of years past that so many seem to have a high regard for. They share nothing except displacement.

The plug wire issues is unfortunate but if I had a choice I would take it over the blown plug issue. That was due to not enough threads in the head which they later (years later) corrected with new head design.

This seems to be a plug wire supplier issue and seems to be getting worked out within months (hopefully). Its definitely easier to replace a $20 bad wire than the head.

Generally I agree with the sentiment of not getting a first year engine for exactly these type of issues but I wouldn't rub it in over a plug wire issue. Let's hope that is the extent of the growing pains on this engine. Ford has a lot riding on it being in the super duty line and they aren't making any more V10's which is why you see the quick transition vs say the 6-speed transmission that took more than 4 years to make it from super duty to F53 while they still made the 5-speed.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2020, 08:01 AM   #44

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd not place a head design issue in the same category as a supplier spark pug wire issue. The plug wire design is much easier to fix than a head design issue. Not even close. Once Ford accepted the lack of threads as the problem under warranty they either repaired them using Heli-coils or maybe replaced the heads. I didn't follow all of those cases.

NO!! I didn't confuse a 7.3 diesel with a 7.3 gas engine especially since it was either a spark plug or plug wire issue.

Ford has way to much at stake to allow this to fail so they will eventually step up and cover it. Still not an excuse to hedge regarding the repair when the same issue happens.

Why not extend a few customers warranty especially when your RV doesn't operate properly from May until October or longer?? What ever happened to establishing some customer good will. Or is that a thing of the past?? However replacing a defective part with another defective part becomes the new normal. At least it literally kicked the issue down the road a few weeks or months.

Over the years all the major manufacturers have had their warranty issues. As already stated they are always very careful concerning their bottom line even when it isn't in the best interest of the customer. If your choice is a gas RV FORD is the only game in town!!! Not everybody has the extra $30,000 to throw at a DP.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:30 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
The Workhorse chassis had issues with wires, Ultra RV Products Magnum wires were an excellent solution. They are solid core wires. Think I would try their wires with a set of KoolSox.
The problem with the GM 8.1 and the new Ford V-8 is that they routed the wires too close to the exhaust mainifold which fried the wires. The V-10's spark plugs were located on the top of the heads adjacent to the intake manifold which was much cooler. The wires never got close to the exhaust manifold. Always remember, HEAT KILLS!
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:39 AM   #46

Ford Super Duty Owner
jpstakun,

Here I've been reminded over and over and over by some posters to never question the ENGINEERS. Never change their designs they know all the math and don't make stupid mistakes. They know what they are doing. In fact John Mckinley was criticized by some of those folks over and over when he came up with the CHF idea 10 years ago. None of what they predicted happened.

Lets see!!!! Spark plug wires being destroyed by exhaust manifold heat has been around for decades and decades and these smart engineers didn't see that one coming?? I thought they were smarter than that. I realize anybody can make mistakes but this was a no brainer if you ask me. I guess SMART does not equate to also having common sense??
Old 10-01-2020, 08:22 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpstakun View Post
The problem with the GM 8.1 and the new Ford V-8 is that they routed the wires too close to the exhaust mainifold which fried the wires. The V-10's spark plugs were located on the top of the heads adjacent to the intake manifold which was much cooler. The wires never got close to the exhaust manifold. Always remember, HEAT KILLS!
The Ford V-10 does not have "plug wires" like the GM 8.1 and the new Ford V-8, it has Coil On Plug.

The new Ford V-8 plug wires do have a metal heatshield on the plug-end that is supposed to protect it from the heat from the exhaust manifold. It seems that the problems experienced were related to single-source OEM process failures. However, so far Ford won't talk about it. And there are reports that some of the failures have occurred before the vehicle ever reached a customer. The OEM is in Mexico.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:26 AM   #48

Quote:

NO!! I didn't confuse a 7.3 diesel with a 7.3 gas engine especially since it was either a spark plug or plug wire issue.

Ford has way to much at stake to allow this to fail so they will eventually step up and cover it. Still not an excuse to hedge regarding the repair when the same issue happens.

Why not extend a few customers warranty especially when your RV doesn't operate properly from May until October or longer?? What ever happened to establishing some customer good will. Or is that a thing of the past?? However replacing a defective part with another defective part becomes the new normal. At least it literally kicked the issue down the road a few weeks or months.
If you didn't confuse the gas 7.3 with the old diesel 7.3, I don't know where the idea came from that this was an existing engine. It's new. I completely agree with the rest of it, though--Ford will eventually step up and fix this. Why does it have to be so tooth-pulling to get them to immediately offer that, when we know that's where they'll end up?

If I were in the market right now, I'd end up with a 7.3 gas motorhome. But I'd be waiting the few years until it has a 10 speed behind it. Then I'd probably jump too soon on THAT new thing, and get bitten on some dumb transmission issue they should have seen coming.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:02 PM   #49

Ford Super Duty Owner
DirtRider,

It was just what I heard nothing specific. Never said it was gospel. No confusion just lack of correct information and I didn't research it. My Bad!!!!! We know about assuming things.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:13 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRider View Post
But I'd be waiting the few years until it has a 10 speed behind it.
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting. The 10 speed is intended to improve MPG for trucks that aren't at or close to GVWR most of the time, unlike motorhomes.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:28 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffeys View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting. The 10 speed is intended to improve MPG for trucks that aren't at or close to GVWR most of the time, unlike motorhomes.
It will get there eventually. There’s a much bigger possible drivability again with heavier vehicles. Might take a couple years since there’s no competition for Ford in the space, but it will get there.
DirtRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:34 PM   #52

Got it back

Just got my coach back after around 60 days down. Ford replaced 5 plug wires and removed some baffles around the engine to increase air flow. I guess we’ll see if this works. This was the 4th try for repair by this dealer plus another try by another dealer.
Nrabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:32 AM   #53
NXR

Quote:
Spark plug wires being destroyed by exhaust manifold heat has been around for decades and decades and these smart engineers didn't see that one coming??
The box the ignition wires come in said they were heat-resistant.

Ray
Old 10-02-2020, 08:18 AM   #54

Seems pretty common in a pushrod engine to have the spark plug down by the exhaust manifold since they can't be put in the top of the head like a DOHC such as the V10. Look at the where the plug wires are on a 460.

The wires seem to have heat shielding and the coils are located up on top instead of coil on plug like the V10 probably to keep them cooler.

Sounds like a supplier issue not building to the engineers specs, not bad engineering. Also sounds like they weren't clear to MH manufacturers of clearances for proper airflow. Could be more to this but I doubt its a design flaw like the blown plugs in the V10.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:19 AM   #55

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
. Also sounds like they weren't clear to MH manufacturers of clearances for proper airflow. Could be more to this but I doubt its a design flaw like the blown plugs in the V10.
I was looking at the online brochure for the 2020 and 2021 TIFFIN Open Road and noticed the doghouse on the 2021 model seems a few inches higher
than the 2020. From what I have read, the 7.3 engine is supposed to be "shorter" in height than the V10. It appears TIFFIN not rushing to use the new chassis has allowed them to perhaps provide more airflow around the engine. I have seen pictures of other manufactures gassers where the doghouse appears the same size or slightly smaller/shorter. Again, looking at pics only, not in person viewing for both and the problem occurs with Ford pickups too so hard to blame MH manufactures solely. The problem will get solved I'm sure.
Tom & Kay +KAISER--Miniature Schnauzer// TIFFIN 2021 OPEN ROAD 34 PA LIQUID SPRINGS Ft & Rear Tireminder A1A / SAFE T PLUS, 2002 Jeep Wrangler/-2013 Bounder Classic 34M SOLD, 1985 Mobile Traveler M-260RDB/ 1993 SOUTHWIND 30E/ 2009 COUGAR 29RKS 5ver
SimRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:29 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimRacer View Post
From what I have read, the 7.3 engine is supposed to be "shorter" in height than the V10.
Yes that was one of the big touted advantages of pushrod in the 7.3L its a much more compact engine due to smaller valve train allowing it to fit even in the space constrained E-350/E-450 class C chassis that required them to use the 2V V10 variant before.

I was hoping this would allow the doghouse to become smaller on Class A's, so I will be interested to find out what the issue is there. If they changed nothing from the V10's there should be more clearance around the engine in a Class A with the 7.3.

My gut says it just the same wire issue from the F-series and they are trying to deflect some blame to the MH manufacturers, either way they should have been very clear about the clearances and airflow needed to the chassis builders.

Tags
ems, engine, ford, problem, problems