Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2022, 04:52 AM   #99

Winnebago Owners Club
I think alot of first year design issues and short comings is far from a FORD issue,, it happens in every line etc.. Some first to market are great some stink..
I am going to say "smarts"brains" are lacking in the big pictures but the pictures have become huge,, not one person or small design team hold a singular focus on a design...
meaning a lead design engineer what grasp the entire concept and oversee or have input in the product , today there are levels of design and you only go so far, sure their are lets call them checks and balnces in place to make things seam less but that is not the case..
The OEMS, not to single out ford, share many common roots, motor forging , transmission parts etc are made buy a couple "other" manufacturers or the same.. The rabbit hole is not a deep as one thinks... blah blah.

regardless stuff happens and YES it should not will all the tech we have but the Tech is only s good as its' implementation..

I see it every day in the collision industry.. auto mechanics, computer tech....

Goodluck... I have a beast of burden, full circle intech, a BMW, they used a tried and proven inline 3.0 six for years and years.. then they tweeked it .. added tech,, yes improvements but then a simple design change that included 2 $11.74 seal/wear rings on a cam shaft, made a mess.. I have that first year change.. They played the typical came, just fix under complaints till miles get run up and vehicles go out of warranty then past mechanical service .. productions of 2009 models had the new parts.. while 2008 are being sold as fast as pancakes..
they all do it every OEM in cars, TV's, refrigerators, lawn mowers... ,,

AS far as the BMW I own 3 , WHY becasue overall I like them, I learned them as a DYI guy, i like to tinker like with my RV... Each BMW has over 150K despite the odds, have not cost a fortune, grey hair yes.. I have Nissan Murano 2003, 1 st year CVT, known time bomb, roled the dice, Nice helped with a CVT at 180K, it has over 300K. it is my beater..
I dont get upset, I adapt, overcome or write it off and move on. LOL
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2022, 09:16 AM   #100

So...how many 7.3s have they made, and how many have failed.
Probably a very small percentage.
Old 04-22-2022, 10:55 AM   #101

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post

So far.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 07:46 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
The only numbers that matter are that Ford built two engines for me one of which was milled wrong and failed catastrophically. The other is still running but it has less than 1,000 miles on it. So, that’s 1:2 or a 50% failure rate. That’s the only meaningful number … for me.
TDeakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 01:11 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDeakins View Post
The only numbers that matter are that Ford built two engines for me one of which was milled wrong and failed catastrophically. The other is still running but it has less than 1,000 miles on it. So, that’s 1:2 or a 50% failure rate. That’s the only meaningful number … for me.
Completely understandable.

Ford needs to get control of their quality issues. They are not specific to the engines in RVs. There have been many botched product launches in the recent past, one of which was with one of their popular SUVs. Another was the recent roof issue with the Bronco.

My daughter had a 2012 Focus with the infamous dual clutch transmission that was another spectacular issue. Initially they issued a Technical Service Bulletin but told her she was not eligible for repair unless there was a failure. Went a couple years with a poor performing transmission (she did not have the finances to trade) then it failed in rush hour traffic on the interstate. To Ford's credit, they covered the repair which was a failed transmission control module. None in the country though (yes, we've all been down the failed supply chain path to one extent or another!) They paid her to rent a car until the TCM came in and they fixed it. She was able to trade it then and she did.
jaydee325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 04:03 PM   #104

Quote:
And for me it is anecdotal. Your second engine will be fine.
Old 04-24-2022, 11:22 AM   #105

My 7.3 has been a beast and I have zero engine complaints w/33k on the odometer. My only chassis complaint is "Service Advance Trac" 🐂💩
rtaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 12:22 PM   #106

Just to "me too" some of the other problems I've read on this thread... I just got my 2021 Tiffin Open Road back after an engine replacement. It had a 2020 Chassis / Engine.

I had around 11,000 miles on the odometer when we were traveling on I-40 outside of Memphis. I was cresting a small hill at 68 mph in cruise control. The engine down shifted normally but then I lost all power after a sudden rev to WOT.

My motor home was at a service center in Memphis for two months. They did a full tear down and sent all the evidence to Ford. The only thing they would tell me is that there was no compression in the engine and no visible damage. When I pressed for a cause they claimed that Ford wouldn't tell them the problem, only to replace it under warranty.

When I asked if they had seen this problem before they pointed to a row with 3 other new motor homes that were waiting on engine replacements. I've also read about several replacements for non-motor home applications that had similar symptoms to mine and the others in this thread.

I do wonder if it has anything to do with why the 2021 engine was "de-tuned" from 350 HP to 335 HP.
04266832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 07:54 AM   #107

Grand Design Owners Club
New Ford 7.3L engine problems

Not sure I’ll be posting much more on this topic. After some careful consideration and coming to the realization of just how few Ford dealers are willing to even work on a motorhome, have decided to change direction. I’ve already traded my CRV toad for a pickup and as soon as I can get the MH sold will be buying a fifth wheel.

I loved the motor home, but the reward stopped being worth the risk of one more thing going wrong. Of the 12 months we’ve owned it it’s been out of full commission the majority of the time. It’s in the shop now getting damage fixed that the Ford dealers carelessness caused.

And no, the new pickup is diesel, not the 7.3 Godzilla. Mothra won.
Kluffinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 11:14 AM   #108

Texas Boomers Club
Sorry to hear you are getting out of the motorhome world. I pick up a new one in two weeks. 22 Newmar Baystar. Then having liquid springs added on all 4 corners. If this does not do the trick then I will out of the lifestyle entirely.
Old 05-05-2022, 11:28 AM   #109

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Kluff,
You can't go.
My "new to me '04 Pace Arrow 37c" just keeps chugging along, thanks to your help. 46K on the clock now and just got back from a 5K trip down to Florida.
She ran well, except for bucking a 40 MPH headwind coming out of Amarillo.
Killed our milage, till we got to Raton, NM.
Should have kept yours. Remember ABC (always but chevy).

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 05:06 PM   #110

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
Kluff,

You can't go.

My "new to me '04 Pace Arrow 37c" just keeps chugging along, thanks to your help. 46K on the clock now and just got back from a 5K trip down to Florida.

She ran well, except for bucking a 40 MPH headwind coming out of Amarillo.

Killed our milage, till we got to Raton, NM.

Should have kept yours. Remember ABC (always but chevy).

Mike in Colorado

Mike. So glad you are still enjoying the PA. Looking back I wish I had kept mine instead of buying the challenger for the bells and whistles.
Kluffinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 05:51 AM   #111

7.3 challenges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluffinator View Post
Not sure I’ll be posting much more on this topic. After some careful consideration and coming to the realization of just how few Ford dealers are willing to even work on a motorhome, have decided to change direction. I’ve already traded my CRV toad for a pickup and as soon as I can get the MH sold will be buying a fifth wheel.

I loved the motor home, but the reward stopped being worth the risk of one more thing going wrong. Of the 12 months we’ve owned it it’s been out of full commission the majority of the time. It’s in the shop now getting damage fixed that the Ford dealers carelessness caused.

And no, the new pickup is diesel, not the 7.3 Godzilla. Mothra won.

I’ve considered doing the same. My brand new Jayco with the 7.3 was down for engine issues for 70 something days in the first 18 months. I’m very lucky the for dealer 10 mins away services these. After 2 years knock on wood I think I’m past the issue. Good luck with the 5th wheel
Nrabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 09:04 AM   #112

Quote:

I agree with you Ford has a big problem. The failure rates are much too high. I find it very interesting other people can read your post and say no big deal or high failure rates mean nothing get over it. Your new engine will be fine. They must work for Ford in the PR department.

It means a lot when you spend a LARGE chunk of money and are trying to enjoy Limited Family time together. Instead your NEW MH spends months just sitting in a shop.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, engine, ford, problem, problems