Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2011, 07:56 AM   #85
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
First trip and I only got 5.6 MPG. I had a strong cross-wind on the way and also had to have the AC on.
What was your speed and did you use the tow haul / overdrive button?

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2011, 07:59 AM   #86

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
First trip and I only got 5.6 MPG. I had a strong cross-wind on the way and also had to have the AC on.
I only get 7 when using good gas management driving practices so for the way you describe your trip, you not far off. The gas generators will suck fuel as well dealing with the AC load.

A side wind load will generate lateral pressure on the tires causing a greater amount of friction to overcome as well. Head winds aren't the only thing that effect gas mileage.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:01 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftall View Post
60 on the way to Yuma, 65 on the way home. Don't have tow/haul button. The OD kicked in and out on over passes. OD on = 2500 RPM, OD off = 3500 RPM at 65 MPH. Also towing a 5200 lb enclosed. Total wt ~24,000 lbs. Just the cab AC, no generator running and very little generator use while camped.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:13 PM   #88

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My 1st Ford truck!!

OK, I pushed the “Join Group” button, so I guess the next step is an intro.

Norm, AKA(Gotago2) just purchased a 2008 Four winds Chateau with 10,500 on the clock. Only been on a couple 100 mile trips so far and avg 8-8.5 MPG with the E-450, V-10. The unit looks like it well maintained in- out and under with no mods or upgrades, accept auto awning. Lots of power. Just installed an Ultra Gauge to see if I can tweak the MPG up a bit. But don't expect miracles. Keep it at or around 63 MPH. But will play around with speed some to see where peak performance and fuel economy is.

Been getting some great info from members of this forum simply by reading. Thank you .
Old 11-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #89

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftall View Post
My speedo it has been acting up. Reseated the connectors again. The odometer only showed 387 miles round trip to Yuma and I know it is right at 400, plus, I drove a few extra miles to my local Flyin J before and after the trip. With those extra miles, I'm right at 6 MPG. Much better. Will see how it is without a cross or head wind. I can also lighten the load some as there are item I will never use in the basement and the enclosed.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:19 AM   #90

Izzyblueye

Entirely reasonable with strong cross winds and A/C on. I find head or cross winds the single biggest mileage factor. Slowing down will help increase the mileage a little. After all you are pushing a solid invisible wall ahead of you in wind. The harder you push, the more power and fuel you will consume. Been there done that.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:17 AM   #91

Can anybody tell me if this is correct. We take Eisenhower tunnel and vail pass in 2nd gear, 40 mph,and about 3800 rpm. Is this ok or shoukd we leave it in overdrive and just floor it and let the transmission handle it by itself ?
Thanks
Old 11-14-2011, 07:18 AM   #92

That's why I slowed from 65 to 60. Mother nature played a dirty trick on me for my first trip. I guess it was trick or treat weekend.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:33 AM   #93

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
Can anybody tell me if this is correct. We take Eisenhower tunnel and vail pass in 2nd gear, 40 mph,and about 3800 rpm. Is this ok or shoukd we leave it in overdrive and just floor it and let the transmission handle it by itself ?
Thanks
I also live in colorado and have my entire life, and have taken numerous RVs over both passes and I've always asked the same question... When i had to have a transmission replaced in our previous Class C, i asked the guy doing the work... he told me to take it out of overdrive (if equiped) and put your foot in it... The transmission will go where it needs to go... Now, coming down either pass, you want to keep it low so you don't have to use the run-away truck ramp...
Old 11-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #94

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thought I through my 2 cents in to this. We have a new 2011 Newmar Canyon Star 3810, towing a 2008 Hummer H3, total weight around 29,000 lbs (with all wife's shoes). Just finished "Kentucky's Bourbon Trail" not with coach though, it was parked. Trip was from Canada thru NY, PA, OH, KY & Home, mileage averaged around MPG 7, remember this is thru a few hills/mountains and not on Interstates. Now I was told to use 5W20 to maintain warranty therefore Dealer uses Ford's synthetic and changed at 800 and 4,300. As a bottom line, we have a 5er and a Chevy 3500 running at around 22,000 lbs which averages around same MPG. Just joined the "Ford Owners" and all I can say as a Chevy man is "LOVE MY FORD POWERED COACH".
Old 11-27-2011, 07:28 PM   #95

Thor Owners Club
I have a 2008 Bounder 35E with a ford v-10. The best mileage I ever got was 8.2 When I towed my Saturn Vue on a tow dolly I got 7.5 - 8.0. and that was on a trip from New Jersey to Montana in 2010
Gus & Debbie
2008 Bounder 35E
Waiting on a delivery of 2012 Challenger 37' DT
Old 11-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #96
Moderator Emeritus

We just returned from our "maiden voyage" in our new V-10 Bounder. Mileage was as expected; about 7.5 MPG average with no toad. We were quite concerned with the "over revving" thing on hills so I am relieved to hear that it is common.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:32 AM   #97
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
We just returned from our "maiden voyage" in our new V-10 Bounder. Mileage was as expected; about 7.5 MPG average with no toad. We were quite concerned with the "over revving" thing on hills so I am relieved to hear that it is common.
It is common and nothing to worry about. Do a search in the Ford Forum as there have been a few threads on this. Here's one http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/what-...10-102563.html

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Old 11-28-2011, 07:34 AM   #98

Ford Super Duty Owner
In hilly areas, I take it out of cruise, gain a little speed down hill, and lose it back uphill. It rarely hits the high rev that way.
Closed Thread