RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2020, 07:17 AM   #1

Carolina Campers
Entegra Owners Club
Newbie - random questions please!

Hi all, and thanks for helping out.

First of all, I’ll say that I’ve been reading threads in this forum for days, so this isn’t just the “I just got here and want to start a newbie thread” post

Secondly, I’m a mechanical guy with decades of history in engines and chassis, but in small vehicles, so I’m VERY comfortable with the answers, but fear and doubt get me with big engines and heavy vehicles because this is all new to me.

We bought a new 2019 Entegra Emblem which sits on the F53
Chassis. It’s the newer chassis with the 6.8 v10 and 6-speed. The unit, IIRC, weighs somewhere in the high 20s, low 30s when loaded down.

Here are my initial questions:

1. The rev noises coming from this thing when driving down mountains are scary. Is it really ok for the engine to be jumping to these high RPMs? Is there a redline or is it fine to just let it handle itself? I know that part of it is just riding on the engine like a saddled horse, so I’m just trying to up my comfort level.

2. How sturdy are the brakes when downhill braking over longer periods? Is overheating ever a problem? (I do not ride them, stab only). Side fact: we DO flat-tow a Jeep.

3. I got the misfire code twice now. The first time I reset it because it happened when going down a hill at high RPMs, I’m thinking 5+. I assumed it was just random. The second time was under less stress, and I left it open, which leads to this question:

4. Where do you find a dealer that will work on it? My selling dealer isn’t a Ford repair place and every dealership I have called just says “I don’t know”. #ThanksForNothing It’s under warranty, cost is not a factor.

5. Is a tune really worth it for casual RVers? We won’t ever spend multiple months or live in it. We are vacationers. Most of the folks I’ve seen doing them are on older RVs.

6. Anything else I’m supposed to know that I haven’t seen a thread for yet?

Thanks everyone! Looking forward to all the great learning!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2020, 07:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavidson031 View Post
1. The rev noises coming from this thing when driving down mountains are scary. Is it really ok for the engine to be jumping to these high RPMs? Is there a redline or is it fine to just let it handle itself? I know that part of it is just riding on the engine like a saddled horse, so Iím just trying to up my comfort level.
The computer will not let the engine overrev. If it reaches the upper RPM limit the computer will upshift the transmission.

Quote:
5. Is a tune really worth it for casual RVers?
In my opinion a tune reduces the reliability of the engine and transmission. You need to whey if increased probability of a major breakdown is worth the changes the tune may make to your driving experience.

Old 06-06-2020, 08:01 AM   #3

A few Ford dealers service large MHs, but you have to find them. Examples are Sanderson Ford in the Phoenix area, Buss Ford in McHenry IL. Many truck service places will service the F-53 chassis too, but may or may not deal with your warranty. there is a Ford MH phone number you can call but I have heard it is near worthless for large MHs because if a place will service small C's it is listed and Ford doesn't know the difference.

Regarding your brakes, you are right to only stab them and let them cool. Doing that you should be fine. Try tow haul. It helps slow you down but at a cost in noise and fuel mileage.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:06 AM   #4

I roll down hill, some time at over 5000 RPMs with my 2017 6 speed V10. The red line is up around 5500, downhill.

The older V10s with the 4 and 5 speed transmissions had the same 5500 RPM red line up hill but the 6 speed came with a new tune that only allows about 4500 RPMs under load, uphill.
They also had some strange gear skipping with the 5 speed, where it didn't use 4th except when real cold. The "Tunes " put 4th gear in the sequence, controlling skipping gears.

The 6 speed uses them all.

The tunes basicly increases throttle response ( push pedal down less for same movement ) and adds some power at the full throttle, top RPM point.
If you find yourself driving with it flooded all of the time, the tunes can help.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
They also had some strange gear skipping with the 5 speed, where it didn't use 4th except when real cold. The "Tunes " put 4th gear in the sequence, controlling skipping gears.
I was part of the team that programmed the 5 speed. Here is the REAL scoop on "skipping" gears.

The 5 speed is really a two speed trans in front of a three speed trans.
Here are how all the gear ratios are formed from first through sixth. Yes, the five speed has six ratios.
Front Rear
1:1 ; 3.11:1 overall 3.11:1
.71:1; 3.11:1 overall 2.2:1
1:1 ; 1.54:1 overall 1.54:1
.71:1; 1.54:1 overall 1.09:1 -> this is the ratio with limited use.
1:1; 1:1 overall 1:1
.71:1; 1:1 overall 0.71:1, also known as overdrive

When the trans is colder than 0įF it shifts 1-2-3-4-6. When it is warmer than that is shifts 1-2-3-5-6. Fourth and fifth gears are so close that there is no gain to use both of them in any shift sequence. It would seem like a missed shift. It would not help acceleration, but it would generate a lot of customer complaints about a missed shift.

There is also a narrow window of speed where if you floor the go pedal while in sixth gear it will downshift to fourth. This happens when the vehicle is going just a bit too fast to downshift to third. Fourth is used because it gives 9% more RPM, so the engine will make more power, and the trans gives 9% more torque multiplication than if it shifted to fifth gear. From fourth gear it can only downshift or upshift to sixth gear. It can never shift 4-5.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:54 AM   #6

I use engine braking as much as possible with the tow / haul feature. The engine and transmission can easily handle long periods of revving as both have good cooling systems.

I have driven mine cross country with my Jeep, across the Smokies and the Rockies without issue, using engine braking where possible and "Stabbing" the brakes when needed to keep the MH at desired speed.

As Mark K said (always a great help here), the computer will not let the engine exceed redline at 5500, it will upshift and you will continue to gain speed, the is where hitting the brake comes in to keep the engine revving in the right gear to maintain speed.

Mine had an issue with random misfire codes that I could just clear, I found they had a TSB for 2016 where the knock sensors where set too sensitive and would detect a misfire form other noises. I took it to my Ford dealer and they flashed it which resolved the issue.

There have been other reports of misfire codes here for different issues, I would think the 2019 chassis would not have the same issue as my 2016 so it could be something more serious. Did you use low octane gas from out west 85/86 octane? I have done so before without issue but it could lead to misfire codes.

Not all Ford dealers work on motorhomes, I take mine to Gator Ford which is right across the street from Lazy Days where I bought my RV, they do lots of motorhomes and where really great with the computer updates and dealing with balancing the tires, they knew exactly what to do.
jharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 01:42 PM   #7
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Hi all, and thanks for helping out...

4. Where do you find a dealer that will work on it? My selling dealer isnít a Ford repair place and every dealership I have called just says ďI donít knowĒ. #ThanksForNothing Itís under warranty, cost is not a factor.
Start looking here for who services your F53. Put in ZIP then use the advanced filter and select "Motorhome-Class A."

Then call and confirm that they in fact work on them. My past experience with Ford and is that their database is old, very old.
Old 06-06-2020, 03:21 PM   #8

{{ 4. Where do you find a dealer that will work on it? My selling dealer isn’t a Ford repair place and every dealership I have called just says “I don’t know”. #ThanksForNothing It’s under warranty, cost is not a factor. }}
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recommended on Tiffin owners forum,, I have NO first hand experience: Thsee are from a year ago::

Tindol Ford in Gastonia NC easy to get to on I-85.

Cloninger Ford in Hickory North Carolina they have a heavy duty truck and rv mechanic and a lift that will lift up to 30000 lbs. I worked with service advisor Steven Watts 828 328 5333

Crown Ford in Fayetteville, 910-826-6135.

Dick Smith Ford in Columbia, SC
--------------------------------------
hope this info doesn't upset anyone
Old 06-06-2020, 04:53 PM   #9

Carolina Campers
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimRacer View Post
{{ 4. Where do you find a dealer that will work on it? My selling dealer isnít a Ford repair place and every dealership I have called just says ďI donít knowĒ. #ThanksForNothing Itís under warranty, cost is not a factor. }}
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recommended on Tiffin owners forum,, I have NO first hand experience: Thsee are from a year ago::
--------------------------------------
hope this info doesn't upset anyone
Thank you! Thatís awesome.

Normally Iíd say those are a drive for me, but it wouldnít appear I have a choice.
Old 06-07-2020, 03:44 PM   #10

I would like to add, as a long time v10 owner, in a pickup and a coach.....I NEVER, EVER let the engine go over 5k, let alone 4K for any length of time.
Slow that beast down and keep it at a manageable speed downhill so you're not relying on the motor so much. These motors work hard enough without beating on it.
Up hills I keep it in the 3800 range even up Fancy Gap, a 7 mile 7pct. grade. No reason to make it work any harder.

As for service, there is a dedicated Ford Motorhome hotline that will provide you with your nearest Motorhome capable Ford dealer wherever you currently are.

"NO CHARGE CUSTOMER SERVICE

Ford Motorhome Chassis owners can receive 24/7 service

assistance by dialing 1-800-444-3311 (see the rear cover of this

brochure for details). In addition to the 24/7 service assistance,

Ford owners are provided Roadside Assistance for 5 years or 60,000

miles, whichever occurs first (see your Ford Dealer for details).

These services are provided to the owner at NO CHARGE and are

transferable to a new owner as long as the vehicle remains within

the time and mileage coverages."

Its not easy to swap a motor in a class A, so I do everything I can to preserve this thing.
agpopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by agpopp View Post
I would like to add, as a long time v10 owner, in a pickup and a coach.....I NEVER, EVER let the engine go over 5k, let alone 4K for any length of time.
I believe the stock rev limiter is around 5500, the engine can easily handle 6000 rpm but is conservatively limited.

In the highest horsepower version its reaches peak power at 4750 rpm.

The computer will not allow the engine to over rev, there is no reason to keep it below 5000 or 4000 the engine can take it. I have ran it down mountains at 5000, its loud but the engine is fine.
jharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:05 PM   #12

I did Fancy Gap, many times, in second gear, foot to the floor, in my old E450, V10, 4 speed RV. About 5200 RPMs kept me at 50 MPH.
Couldn't chat with the DW for the climb but the engine didn't care.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Couldn't chat with the DW for the climb but the engine didn't care.
Did you care?
Nashville, TN or Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:13 PM   #14

Shannon, we live in Cabarrus County and Tindol Ford’s commercial truck shop off I85, I believe exit #21, is who we use for service on our ‘17 Newmar Canyon Star. The shop is almost new, 2017, and is set up to only service commercial vehicles and welcomes Ford powered RVs. We only required yearly service and a warrantied fuel air sensor replacement. They also have the latest alignment equipment so I had the alignment checked. Ours will be there again for service in July. Patrick Lail was the Asst. Service Manager that I dealt with. We’re up and down Fancy Gap, Green River Gouge, and Black Mountain several times a year. We climb a little slower to limit the rpms, and start our decent no faster than we initially climbed. We use tow haul, always engaged, and only stab our brakes on the decent. I’m thinking that the on the decent the rpms may approach 4500, but never a problem. Just heighten your awareness and you’ll be fine. Enjoy your Entegra and safe travels.

HWCJr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags