Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Next Best Suspension Upgrade F53
Thicker/Beefier Front Sway Bar 0 0%
Extra Rear Sway Bar 3 25.00%
Steering Stabilizer such as SafeTPlus 4 33.33%
Centering Device Such as TruCenter or The Other one With Springs 2 16.67%
Air Bags or Similar 2 16.67%
Leave it Alone, You Have The Best It Is Going To Get 2 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2014, 03:07 PM   #1

Next Best Suspension Upgrade F53

I currently have the Blue Ox Tiger Trak, and front/rear CHF w/Hellwigs. I still had a bit of wander with 82 PSI front, and 87 PSI rear. Someone suggested to increase the PSI, and when I increased the front to 92 PSI, it greatly improved.

Now, I would like to know what's the next best thing is. Please try to give feedback from personal experience and not hearsay. Thanks in advance.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2014, 07:38 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've done the CHF, replace the rear sway bar bushings, Koni shocks and this past winter add supplemental air bags and a compressor. One outing so far and the coach was gliding going do the road with a light hand on the wheel. I also only run 80 psi all around. Even at 80 I have more capacity in the tires than the axles.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:52 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I did, separate and in this order:

Steer Safe
CHF + checking sway bar bushings (no action needed)
Rear Track Bar

The Steer Safe made some handling and stability improvement, however it and similar devices are primarily for safety in case of a tire blowout.

The CHF reduced body roll a lot and was a noticeable handling improvement. The rear track bar was the icing on the cake, a huge improvement.

I don't plan to do anything else, methinks. Have researched Koni shocks and front track bar. Don't see specific evidence that either will provide a substantial improvement. Not enough to get me to open up my wallet anyway.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
I've done the CHF, replace the rear sway bar bushings, Koni shocks and this past winter add supplemental air bags and a compressor. One outing so far and the coach was gliding going do the road with a light hand on the wheel. I also only run 80 psi all around. Even at 80 I have more capacity in the tires than the axles.
Which airbags did you get. Could you be specific as to how the airbags improved handling? Thanks.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I did, separate and in this order:

Steer Safe
CHF + checking sway bar bushings (no action needed)
Rear Track Bar

The Steer Safe made some handling and stability improvement, however it and similar devices are primarily for safety in case of a tire blowout.

The CHF reduced body roll a lot and was a noticeable handling improvement. The rear track bar was the icing on the cake, a huge improvement.

I don't plan to do anything else, methinks. Have researched Koni shocks and front track bar. Don't see specific evidence that either will provide a substantial improvement. Not enough to get me to open up my wallet anyway.
Could you be more specific with the steer safe. I've use similar devices on off road vehicles, but it was to help with the forces causing the steering to go all over the place in extreme situations. I can't vision how it could help with handling except in the case of a blowout.

Yesterday I realized that my chassis has a stock front trak bar. Not sure if all have it or if they started installing them after a certain year.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:42 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
Which airbags did you get. Could you be specific as to how the airbags improved handling? Thanks.
I installed the Firestone airbags. Not very difficult if you have the tools. Also added a compressor and air tank. I'm still working on what pressures are best but eliminated most of the harsh ride and what I suspecting was the suspension bottoming out. I'm hearing less noise from the dishes, pot/pans, windows and such when I hit a bump so I guess I could call that an improvement.

My coach is built on an 06 18K lbs. chassis and my normal weight is around 15.5K lbs.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
I installed the Firestone airbags. Not very difficult if you have the tools. Also added a compressor and air tank. I'm still working on what pressures are best but eliminated most of the harsh ride and what I suspecting was the suspension bottoming out. I'm hearing less noise from the dishes, pot/pans, windows and such when I hit a bump so I guess I could call that an improvement.

My coach is built on an 06 18K lbs. chassis and my normal weight is around 15.5K lbs.
Thanks for the reply. It sounds like it's more of a shock helper system. ours is a 20.5 chassis, and have never bottomed out. The up/down ride is pretty good on ours. It's probably one of those tings where you don't know it until you try it. I say our ride is pretty good, but I bet if I drive one with the Koni shocks, I'd change my mind. So the question is: What's better? Koni shocks, or airbags?
Old 04-03-2014, 03:06 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm going into the fourth year with the coach as the second owner. First year was with the Ford installed 5 year old Bilstein shocks. Hard ride. Lots of banging. Second year replaced the rear with Bilsteins and did the CHF. Naturally sway was reduced and the rear axle rode slightly better but still a bit harsh for my liking. Year three added Koni's to the front but retained the Bilsteins on the rear. Definite difference when the coach hits a bump with the front axle followed by the rear. Front is firm with less banging. Now with the air bags all around the ride is getting softer and floats a bit. So far I air up enough to level the coach front to rear (equal frame height from the road surface) plus about an extra inch. Will fine tune on my travels this summer.

Plus having a 150 psi DC powered compressor and a 2 1/2 gallon tank on board the coach is nice addition.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:32 PM   #9

Koni shocks are the way to go if you want a smooth ride.
nogoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:24 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
Could you be more specific with the steer safe. I've use similar devices on off road vehicles, but it was to help with the forces causing the steering to go all over the place in extreme situations. I can't vision how it could help with handling except in the case of a blowout. Yesterday I realized that my chassis has a stock front trak bar. Not sure if all have it or if they started installing them after a certain year.
Agree primary benefit is safety in case of a blow out. I perceived some handling stability improvement for wind buffeting by passing trucks , abrupt changes in the road surface and bumps, less bump steer , the occasional wandering off the edge of the highway, etc.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:41 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I am new to motor homing, what is CHF
carluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by carluv View Post
I am new to motor homing, what is CHF
It stand for Chalupa and Homemade Fries

On a serious note, it is Cheap Handling Fix. Google it or search in the forum. It's basically making your sway bar work a bit tighter thus helping with sway.

Tags
f53, suspension