Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2021, 09:24 AM   #1

No one will work on a Class A

Hi All,
I have a 2001 Southwinds with the 2000 Ford F-53 sporting a V-10 engine. This engine only has 9 cylinders, however, since Cyl # 10 has no compression. Sounds fairly straight forward, right? Just get in there and take the head off to see what gives (I already know, it's the exhaust valve either stuck open or broken). I've looked high and low for a mechanic in our area who will break their back to kneel over a dog house for a week and there are none.
I'm entertaining the idea of doing this myself. I'm 70 years old with back pain and have only rebuilt two engines in my lifetime.
That said, I'm wondering what could go wrong? For those who have done this or helped, could you please tell me what is involved in removing the coolant, manifolds, intake and exhaust, fuel rail, valve cover, and head bolts to get this head to a machine shop and have it serviced?
I have all the basic tools and a nearby teenager who wants to learn how to "work on cars". If I were to do it I would position the RV in my driveway so I could call a tow truck if necessary.
Tell me I'm crazy if you like, I can take it. I just need to know what I might be getting in to before I stop looking for someone else to do the job.

Thank you, (not so) Classy Class A (any more)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2021, 09:48 AM   #2

Not crazy at all - I wish you all the best of luck and success !!!

You'll have a whole cheer-leading section on here rooting you on and hanging on every word if you keep the thread going - lots of us are always interested in threads like this!!

And "good on you" for working with a young person to help instill a passion for working with his/her hands - Mike Rowe would be proud of you !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:04 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Where are you located? There is a good reason nobody wants to do it, it isn't easy. I would try to find a medium duty truck repair shop.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:46 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
Where are you located? There is a good reason nobody wants to do it, it isn't easy. I would try to find a medium duty truck repair shop.
Have you tried an automotive school. If in Melbourne fl Sicilia's
Give him a call he might know someone in PA
321 254 1881.
Good luck.
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:56 AM   #5

For the OP,
Go to the top of the page and search for a user here by the name of: Waiter21
He also has a Southwind about the same age as yours, same engine, and he has done extensive work on his engine including pulling the heads, manifolds etc, etc.

He also has a very detailed BLOG that shows step by step what he has done but I don't have his URL address for that.

So find—Waiter21—shoot him a PM, get his blog address and you'll have answered 80%-90% of the questions you have.
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:01 PM   #6

Classy...
I dont think its crazy if you are comfortable spinning wrenches and have help why not.
Teaching a youngster could be fun if he has interest and is reliable it could be a good fit. I guess I'd have a talk with him to see how committed he would be.
If you had a garage vs just driveway it might be better.

If you decide not to or want to explore other options I know a hydraulic mechanic in Montoursville that might know of a shop that would do it. If you want I can inquire and let you know.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:02 PM   #7

I have even seen experienced shops get the timing chains on incorrectly and smashed things beyond recognition. I have no problem with someone wanting to learn but this job is not for an unexperienced wannabe youngster.
I can see him getting the engine partially torn apart, saying "I dunno" and walking away.
Then just TRY to get someone to finish the job.
Old 05-05-2021, 12:27 PM   #8

You might want to focus on the front of the engine. That's where you have to take everything to then remove the timing cover and dig into the timing chains. They are not fun. Once you get through them, THEN you go up top and do the more straightforward unbolting of parts.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 01:55 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.tommy View Post
For the OP,
Go to the top of the page and search for a user here by the name of: Waiter21
He also has a Southwind about the same age as yours, same engine, and he has done extensive work on his engine including pulling the heads, manifolds etc, etc.

He also has a very detailed BLOG that shows step by step what he has done but I don't have his URL address for that.

So find—Waiter21—shoot him a PM, get his blog address and you'll have answered 80%-90% of the questions you have.
Lots of good inf0 - Here is his blog address

2014 Tiffin Allegro 36LA
phil-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 01:59 PM   #10

If you have zero compression in one cylinder on a v-10 you probably have some serious issues...

Did you do a leak down test?

You can probably get an old v10 from the junkyard for less than a grand, and have an engine exchange place put it in...
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 02:31 PM   #11

If you can't find anyone to do the job I am thinking you will NEVER find anyone to complete the job if you start taking it apart and for some reason can't finish. Their concerns would be misplaced ( missing ) parts, nuts, bolts etc. , small parts accidentally dropped into the engine by a teenager and so on and so on. I was a tech H. S. Automotive Instructor and we would not take on a job like that with students. It takes too long and teenagers need to see immediate results for their labors. If they don't then they quickly lose interest.
If you can't confidently do it alone, by yourself then continue to hunt for a professional. As for buying a used engine I would point out that an engine swap in an RV is way more work than pulling a head. Don't go that route unless you already have someone willing to do the swap.
You also haven't said how many miles are on this engine. If high mileage then you might not want to do just a valve job.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 03:10 PM   #12

v10

If you run it at all unplug the injector for cyl 10 so you aren't washing the cylinder with raw fuel. You could take the valve cover off on that side and take a look , you might find a bad cam follower/lash adjuster which might not be too difficult to replace or a broken spring etc.

If you replace the engine I'd get either a certified rebuilt with a warranty (make sure it covers Motorhomes) or a Ford crate engine
tiffy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 02:32 AM   #13

Thank you all for the input!! I did find the blog by Waiter21 and it is very helpful for alot of things. I also found a garage that will take a look at it, Cleveland Bros in Turbotville, Pa is almost in my back yard. They say they are very busy and can't even take a look at it till next week. I can't even get a haircut that fast! The service manager was very encouraging, saying that the Class A with a dog house is easier to work on than the Class C with a hood.
This story isn't over yet so I'll keep everyone posted
Old 05-06-2021, 02:39 AM   #14

Also, a follow up question for Tiffy2000; we drove it home from Texas without doing any disconnecting so the damage is already done. I was also wondering if I should have taken the coil and plug out along with disconnecting the injector. I guess time will tell.

Tags
class a