Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #1

Noise From Tire - 2012 Sunstar 26P

I recently took my Sunstar to the Ford dealer in Livermore, CA after receiving the PRD23L recall notice. During this visit I had them make the Cheap Handling Fix adjustments.

Upon taking the MH out for a spin two weeks ago, my passenger heard a loud noise coming from the front passenger-side tire. The noise was in time with the revolution of the tire. It is not a high pitch or grinding noise, but rather, ... pump,pump,pump,pump,pump,pump,pump... As the MH slows down, the sound slows, again in rhythm with the revolution of the tire.

I took it back to Ford and their explanation is that the noise is an "aggressive" tire. The MH and tires have 3820 miles on them.

I don't agree with the suggestion that I should just live with the noise. Has anyone else experienced this type of noise?

Should I have them replace the tire with the spare (yes, this model included a spare tire)? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
LadyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #2

Sounds like either a slipped belt or it has a bubble in the tread. With close inspection either should be visible.
Chowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #3

We thought it might be a rock making the revolution, but could not find anything significant in the tread, upon inspection.

We did find a leak and Ford diagnosed it as a bad A/C compressor... Which they are replacing. Would that be the cause of a "slipped belt?"

Please forgive my mechanical ignorance, but that's why I am a avid reader on this forum? I have learned so much here!!
Old 05-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #4

Slipped belt of the tire. Sometimes the belts will slip or become disconnected with the outer tread. If you can jack that tire off the ground slightly then rotate it while observing the clearance you may find there is a spot that is not at the same space from the ground as the rest of the tire. This will cause a ride problem and can cause noise as well.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowboy View Post
Sounds like either a slipped belt or it has a bubble in the tread. With close inspection either should be visible.

Also, I've never heard of an "aggressive tire"...? Are your tires still in warranty? Is there a tire shop in your area for the type of tires you have?

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyduck View Post

Also, I've never heard of an "aggressive tire"...? Are your tires still in warranty? Is there a tire shop in your area for the type of tires you have?
Could be it is looking for a fight. How could they tell? It was removing its belt
Old 05-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like a tire is in someway out of round. Whatever brand tire you have, take it to one of there dealers and explain what your hearing and ask to have them check the tire and check for out of round. Out of round is a fairly common problem. The cause of out of round can be several different things.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #8

Thanks for your replies! I really appreciate your taking the time to help.

I, too, have never heard of "aggressive" tire syndrome :-), but that's what the Ford dealership said. Unfortunately, that doesn't solve the noise problem for me and I will get clarification when I go to pick it up. Kinda disappointed that they would expect me to live with it, as is.

The tire is a 19.5" Continental and I may still be under warranty as I purchased in May 2012. Of course, all my documents are in the Winnebago case in the MH.

I may call the dealer and ask that they replace the tire with the spare and see if that solves the problem. Then I can deal with Continental.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:55 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I have the same tires on my coach. The Continental HSR have a pretty aggressive tread design. I can hear my tires sing, but only if I turn off the fans and radio. My noise is rotational, and even. If your are hearing or feeling the thumps, then there is likely a defective tire and it should be check by a Continental Tire dealer. Soon!
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #10

I had ply separation that did that. The tread visibly wobbled when the tire was spun
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #11

I spoke with the "master mechanic" at Ford yesterday. He told me that I do not have traditional RV tires but have all-terrain tires mounted. These tires have an aggressive tread pattern that can result in rotational noise.

Ghutch, we are hearing the rotational noise, but we are not feeling any thumps. We will be aware and watchful for feeling thumps in the future, thanks to your suggestion.

I'm supposed to get the MH back today and I think I will take the advice of zippo and take it in to a Continental tire dealer for a check.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:31 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have Continental HSR 1 tires on my MH. The are quiet going down the road.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #13

LadyJ,
When you get to the dealer shop, feel with the palm of your hand, the side wall of the tire you think is causing the noise & look for any type of depression, groove like, going from the rim out to the tread of the tire.
If it has a depression you can feel, probably a "slipped belt" as Chowboy says, which we call a broken belt here in the east & can cause the noise like your saying your hearing.
My wife just had tires put on her CR-V, brand new Goodyears & less than 150 miles one of them already has that thump noise from a broken belt.

If anybody could find a good tire that will last in this day & time, it will probably be on some high ranking governmental officals car or SUV.
Neil
Old 05-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Leigh Racing View Post
If anybody could find a good tire that will last in this day & time, it will probably be on some high ranking governmental officals car or SUV.
Neil
Nope, they can afford to replace tires every trip...

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote