Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2021, 11:12 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
OBD 2 Scanner for 2020 Ford 7.3L V8 Gas

My 20 year old cheapo pocket ODB II scanner is not working with My 2020 Ford F53 Chassis with Ford 7.3L V8 Gas Engine.

Scanner powers up, but displays "NO LINK" on a read operation. The scanner works on my Toad, 2016 Ford Fiesta.

It's either a incompatible scanner, or a bad OBD II port on this particular RV.

Does anyone have a ODB II scanner that has been verified to work with the 2020 7.3L V8 gas engine (also in the 2020 Ford F250 Super Duty Truck)?
Can you post make, model, and whether it cost under $100 ?

Please let me know as soon as you can as I have the RV up on jacks and trying to diagnose the solid Check Engine light
AlwaysDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2021, 09:13 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
If the plug and contacts are the same as your toad, I would say there is a problem with the wiring. Just my guess. OBD2 is supposed to be universal.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 09:38 PM   #3

I've used the OBDLINK® MX+ (and Forscan) with my 2020 without a problem. If you don't want the Bluetooth option to connect to a smartphone, there is a cheaper version (EX) with a cable that you'll connect to a laptop. https://www.obdlink.com/products/obd...p/?ref=forscan
Old 07-07-2021, 06:04 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Looks like there are 5 different protocols for the OBD II network.
Here is a link that describes the protocols:
https://www.scantool.net/blog/which-...by-my-vehicle/

I am betting that my old scanner does not support the Ford Can protocol (CAN Bus).
I have the OBDLink MX+ on order from Amazon. Local Auto Parts Stores won't take returns on "Electronics", No problem with Amazon on a return.

Thanks for your help
Old 07-07-2021, 08:03 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysDream View Post

I am betting that my old scanner does not support the Ford Can protocol (CAN Bus).
I have the OBDLink MX+ on order from Amazon. Local Auto Parts Stores won't take returns on "Electronics", No problem with Amazon on a return.

Thanks for your help
Thanks. Great information on that link.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 02:32 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A Scan Gauge D(diesel) or ll (gas) has mpg, Temps, pressures and much more, identifies and deletes trouble codes. About $160. But for me saves me hundreds on better driving technics and is more accurate than OEM gauges. Plug and play.
Old 09-24-2021, 04:39 PM   #7

Can’t find OBD Port

Forgive me for hijacking post but this is the only post I’ve foo d related to my issue. I can’t seem to find my OBD port for my 2020 Miranda 35OS. It’s a 7.3 Ford chassis. I know it’s “always” to the left of the steering wheel but I can’t find it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
JohnParker67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 06:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnParker67 View Post
Forgive me for hijacking post but this is the only post I’ve foo d related to my issue. I can’t seem to find my OBD port for my 2020 Miranda 35OS. It’s a 7.3 Ford chassis. I know it’s “always” to the left of the steering wheel but I can’t find it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
It is on the steering column but turned 90 degrees facing the passenger side. Just to the right of the parking brake release
mack73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:02 PM   #9

The port is most always on or near the steering column. It may have a cap or cover on it so you may not be able to see the port connections and it is probably black and blends in so you have to look closely.
I recommend the ScanGauge II for the gas model, but do not know about the diesel truck (assuming it it diesel).
Thanks,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 08:23 AM   #10

Did it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysDream View Post

Thanks for your help
Did it work for you? I have a 2021 Georgetown GT5 34H5 built on a 2020 Ford F53. I have no issues connecting to the OBDLink MX+, but it will not connect to the chassis. I ran the firmware update and have submitted a ticket with OBDLink but since it’s Sunday I was hoping to find a solution online.
PTHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 10:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTHunter View Post
Did it work for you? I have a 2021 Georgetown GT5 34H5 built on a 2020 Ford F53. I have no issues connecting to the OBDLink MX+, but it will not connect to the chassis. I ran the firmware update and have submitted a ticket with OBDLink but since it’s Sunday I was hoping to find a solution online.
Which app are you using on your phone? If you aren't already, try using the 'FORScan Lite' app (Icon is a blue square with a white car and magnifying glass'. It will use the OBDLink hardware to connect. Works great on mine.
Old 12-13-2021, 05:02 AM   #12
US1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnParker67 View Post
My buddy just bought a new Coachman Encore. His connector was mounted on the firewall down by left foot near floor where the steering rod passes thru firewall
Old 12-13-2021, 07:05 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTHunter View Post
When I first installed it worked with no problem. Then a few months later it was not working. I had Bluetooth connection, but could not link to the OBD computer.
Customer service were no help, no phone service. Major knock on OBDLink.
I finally got it working and made a troubleshooting guide. I am using ODBLink app on my phone:
  • NOTE: When I say close the OBDLink app on your phone I mean close, not minimize. Double press home and swipe it away
  1. Check phone settings and make sure Blue Tooth to ODBLink plug-in is "connected"
  2. Start Vehicle
  3. Open ODBLink App on phone
  4. If ODBLink plug-in can't connect to the F53 ODBII computer, then
  5. Switch ignition to ON and close App and try again
  6. If it still doesn't work, close app and power cycle the OBDLink plug-in by unplugging an re-plugging and repeat from step 1
  7. If still no luck, factory reset the ODBLink plug-in by holding the pairing/reset button for 20 or so seconds until the power LED rapid blink and re-pair and start from the top. You will have to reload the latest firmware. I did not.

Be sure to pay attention to having vehicle started and/or ON. It appears important in linking to the ODBII computer.

Please let us know how you make out and if you have any tips
Thanks

Tags
ford, gas