Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2013, 12:24 AM   #1

OBD Diagnostics On Ford F53 V10

Hi

I have been trying to find out if the OBD connection on the 1999 F53 / V10 chassis Is compatable with the ELM connector used on more modern vehicles. and also if this is correct, what software is available (preferably not expensive) to manage the reading of Fault codes etc;

I have been unsuccessful so far. So had anyone had experience of this and can advise?

I thought I found a Thread here some months back, but a search of the forum produces only info on the monitoring of DP`s.

Pete
PeteH1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2013, 12:50 AM   #2

I have no idea what you are talking about when you refer to an "ELM connector used on more modern vehicles"

The '99 Ford, like everyone else, uses the standard OBDII connector to connect to its OBDI system.

A scanner which registers freeze frame and mode #06 data is a good idea for tracking coil-on-plug failures.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:29 AM   #3

Hi Stan.

The Latest OBD outputs to a "canbus" and the "plug" is rectangular (actually a Trapezoid) shape. with 16 pins, not unlike the old RS232 computer fitting to look at but bigger) and is the type fitted to my "Smart" and the Chevy "Orlando". on the Winne; I am told that it is located under the "dash" approximately in the area of the Steering Column. But being in the UK at present, and the R-V being in Houston. it`s not easy to check!!

Pete
Old 08-11-2013, 07:40 AM   #4

I have never before heard of the RS232 type connector. I presume they were not around for very long. I have a high end scanner that covers the big three, including Ford OBDI & II, but nothing that looks remotely like a RS232 connector.

I happen to have a 1999 Ford F53 V10 (OBDI specs) which is addressed via a standard OBDII connector located on the right side of the steering column at the bottom of the dash. The socket is not immediately evident, because it has a cap over the socket.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:47 PM   #5

OBD II is an international spec; so I guess it will be the one I am seeking.

The other issue is that of "Software" to run on a Laptop and read codes / fix or delete "errors" etc;. As this is a "gas" (V10) coach I suspect D-P software will not be suitable?. Any one any suggestions?

Thanks Stan for your info.

Pete
Old 08-12-2013, 01:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteH1944 View Post
OBD II is an international spec; so I guess it will be the one I am seeking.

The other issue is that of "Software" to run on a Laptop and read codes / fix or delete "errors" etc;. As this is a "gas" (V10) coach I suspect D-P software will not be suitable?. Any one any suggestions?

Thanks Stan for your info.

Pete
You should expect any old OBD2 code reader to be able to read and clear codes on this vehicle. For more money, you would also be able to get a "scanner" which could read live data. There are also $200 devices that can provide a dash mounted display of some live data, like a "Scan Gauge II". The ELM connector would be known as the OBD2 connector in the US.

I would not expect CANBUS to be available on this. It wasn't a requirement in the US till about the 2003 - 2004 time frame, and even then I would expect larger vehicles to have had an exemption available. So basically, any old OBD2 scanner should work for you.

What specifically are you looking to do?
mpaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:57 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
The "ELM" is a Bluetooth module that plugs into an OBD II port to allow a computer or smart phone to monitor the engine and transmission and use info to dislay temps, pressures, mileage and other info.

ELM Module

I am sure I have seen where it worked on 1999 Ford V10
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #8

My OBDII plug was located on the right side of the steering post, up under the edge of the dashboard cowling. It had a cover over it so you could not see the connections. As for reading the codes, I purchased a device called an "Ultragauge", it works similar to a Scanguage but only costs around $60.00 US.
ItascaRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:39 AM   #9

Hi

We are returning to the US next week at the start of a 3 Month "Road Trip". The Winnie is currently stored at Houston (Tx). I have this ELM OBD (Bluetooth) reader and some basic software, which reads European codes. What I could do with is some "software" that will readout the codes for the US Ford Chassis. could be useful in setting up and or monitoring the Winne;

I am not particularly interested in "real time" monitoring, on the road. just to be able to see and if neccessary act upon the OBD codes.

I am sure I saw a Thread about 6 months back on here which had some info on this. But I have done some searches and cannot find it! The guy had a similar setup to that which I am seeking and had a link to the software?

Thanks to you all for your advises.

Pete
Old 08-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Are you using a laptop or some kind of reading unit. I use a laptop with an OBD/USB connector. I downloaded software off the net.

Try this.

OBDPros
Old 08-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #11

There is always Harbor Freight and their combination OBDII/CAN reader for $59:

CAN OBDII Code Reader with Multilingual Menu

No laptop or additional software required.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #12

Hi

Update. (of Sorts) Down loaded the "trial" ODPros Software (OBD2007). which I managed to link to my ELM data bus. via Bluetooth. (Com41). I ran the software on the "Smart" Car and manged to identify the vehicle and read some Parameters. I also ran it on "her indoors" Chevy Orlando. and got a readout from that. so the connections work.

The next job is to try it on the Winnie; when I get back to Houston.

Thanks for the Info guys.

Best wishes

Pete
Old 08-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #13

Rs232 is the old 24 pinserial port used on computers till nine pin serial ports took over in the nineties and "usb" in the twentyfirst century.
jasright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasright View Post
Rs232 is the old 24 pinserial port used on computers till nine pin serial ports took over in the nineties and "usb" in the twentyfirst century.
Actually the RS-232 connector is either a 25 pin or 9 pin D-subminiature connector. The 24 pin connector is a Centronics connector for a parallel printer.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f53, ford, v10