Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2010, 11:59 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Question OBD II on 2000 Tioga with 1999 Ford V10?

Has anyone had any problems hooking up a scan tool to get the trouble codes on a 1999 Ford V10 Class C chassiss? I have a Service Engine Soon light that came on and stayed on and I tried to connect a OBDII scan tool as well as Autel MaxiTrip TP100 4-In-1 Auto Computer to it and both would not communicate or get info from the truck. I know I plugged it in the right port which had a cover that says Data Link on it.
Just wondering if there's something wrong with my data port of if I need any special connector or tool to read it.

Thanks for any info.
Sam.
sam-rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2010, 06:55 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Smile

There can be two different connections for the odb io.
One is under the dash, the other can be under the hood.

You could be connecting to a terminal that is not really active.

Other than that, verify that power is coming out the connection from the vehicle, if not then you have the wrong connector.

If you find that to be the only connector and power to be coming out of it, and the reader still does not work, then have an autoshop read it and show you what they do so you can do it next time.

Talons
Good Luck and keep us posted.
Talons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:22 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just took a look under the hood and I don't see any other connector. The label in the engine compartment says that it is OBD I compliant. I'm gessing that means it does not have OBD II and I would have to use an OBD I scan method and tool?
Is there a sequence we can do with the key to get the codes?

Thanks.
Sam
Old 08-10-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The scan tool is powered from the OBD II port which is generally on the same circuit as the cigarette lighter. Check for a blown fuse or bad connection.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:14 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Obd I is not that standardized.

Is there power in the connector?

Talons
Talons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:26 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
To my knowledge an OBD 2 scan tool will not work on an OBD 1 system. You'll need a OBD 1 compliant scanner.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:34 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I checked and yes there's power on the connector.
I was able to borrow a scan tool from a friend that can read OBD I & II and it came back with the code P0705 (Transmission Range Sensor Circuit (PRNDL Input)) and some threads I have been reading suggests trying to replace the TRS switch and that it should fix the problem.
Will let you know if it turns out to be that switch or sensor.

Kind of a bummer though about the Ford being only OBD I as I was hoping to get on of those ScanGuageII tools to install and be able to monitor gas milage and other things

Thanks for all the replies.

Sam
Old 10-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-rv View Post
Has anyone had any problems hooking up a scan tool to get the trouble codes on a 1999 Ford V10 Class C chassiss? I have a Service Engine Soon light that came on and stayed on and I tried to connect a OBDII scan tool as well as Autel MaxiTrip TP100 4-In-1 Auto Computer to it and both would not communicate or get info from the truck. I know I plugged it in the right port which had a cover that says Data Link on it.
Just wondering if there's something wrong with my data port of if I need any special connector or tool to read it.

Thanks for any info.
Sam.
According to auto tap starting in 1996 all vehicles were supposed to be OBDll compliant.
Auto tap is an electronics firm that sells all diagnostic tools and can be viewed on the web. They have a free tech library on thhe web and it's worth looking at.
Tony
angelino1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-rv View Post

Thanks for any info.
Sam.
www.autotap.com is the link that will answer most diagnostic questions.
Tony
angelino1 is offline   Reply With Quote