Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2021, 10:19 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
OBD II scan tool and code book

I am looking into buying a scan code reader. Since we plan some very remote travels, I would like to get a copy of a code book so I can interpret any codes shown. I looked at the Chilton site and wonder if after I pay the access fee if their books can be downloaded and stored on my IPad and taken with us as we travel. I am primarily interested in our 2014 F-53 chassis, but might also do it for our 2019 Jeep toad. Anybody know or can offer an alternative?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2021, 10:58 AM   #2

My scan tool ( paid about $80 ) came with a code book ; doesn't have any further repair related info but gives the breakdown of what the number means .

Only talks to the engine ECM , if you figure you need , trans, body , ABS or other functions , expect to pay more .
Last shop tool ; before I retired; had a five line read out display that detailed the required repair and ran $2,000.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:22 AM   #3

I bought one from Harbor Freight that gives an explanation on the code.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:26 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ford scan lite/ pro give code explanation for all modules, I think its 10 bucks on the play store, just need a compatible blue tooth obd2 adapter.
I have had mine for over a year, no complaints.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
Ford scan lite/ pro give code explanation for all modules, I think its 10 bucks on the play store, just need a compatible blue tooth obd2 adapter.
I have had mine for over a year, no complaints.

Would you please tell what adapter you use?

I have FORScanSetup2.3.26.beta, is it compatible?

Thanks
Phil
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:55 AM   #6
RDG

https://www.dtcdecode.com
Old 02-21-2021, 01:03 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDG View Post
Neat list. Unfortunately I really am looking for something that has the codes in a format I can take with us and not have internet access. Either an actual printed book or a list and description just like this one that I can download and keep with us. Does such exist?
Old 02-21-2021, 02:34 PM   #8
RDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
Neat list. Unfortunately I really am looking for something that has the codes in a format I can take with us and not have internet access. Either an actual printed book or a list and description just like this one that I can download and keep with us. Does such exist?
You could open the link, go to FORD, press control P and print out the list.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:40 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
That's what I was thinking too.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:35 PM   #10

If you buy a slightly upgraded code reader, the codes are displayed along with their basic meanings right on the screen. No book needed. I have one I bought a couple of years ago for about $79 that does this.

Before you get one, check out reviews on it carefully if at all possible. My nephew borrowed one from a friend to read some OBDII codes. I don't know what he had but he managed to print out what it told him on paper and showed that to me. Their definitions of what each code meant was nothing short of bizarre. I've seen a few bad translations from Chinese in my time but these were over the top.

For those with deeper pockets, a used Snap On scanner of some sort can be wonderful. Not only do they display what the code is in readable English, they have "troubleshooting" sections. There you can read further explanation of what the code actually means (often actual paragraphs), what commonly causes it, and even directions to take on repairing the issue. Sometimes more specific tests are listed that can be done to narrow down the problem if it's something fairly generic like and oxygen sensor code. Good stuff. Tend to be expensive machines though, even when "outdated" and used.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:58 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I looked at the list. It is huge, printing it is not practical for me anyway. I was hoping for a book, but some here have suggested a reader that contains the info itself. I am going to look into that even with the higher price. Will also contact the local truck dealer that does all the work for me and the Ford dealer for ideas.

My problem is that we will be in areas without internet for extended times and if critters have breakfast on something I would like to know where to start looking.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:29 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Will a 58 page PDF of Ford DTC codes work? I did not print this out but easy enough to up load to a tablet or cell phone.

Keep in mind the average consumer based reader may only read P0 and P1 codes. Research the reader you are looking at to find out if it will read the deeper codes such as the B (body) codes and C (chassis) codes. There's also U which really get deep into problems. A prime example are the C1 codes for the ABS related problems that could indicate which wheel sensor is the problem rather than just a general ABS fault dash light.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Diagnostic Trouble Codes.pdf (316.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 02-22-2021, 09:36 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Will a 58 page PDF of Ford DTC codes work? I did not print this out but easy enough to up load to a tablet or cell phone.

Keep in mind the average consumer based reader may only read P0 and P1 codes. Research the reader you are looking at to find out if it will read the deeper codes such as the B (body) codes and C (chassis) codes. There's also U which really get deep into problems. A prime example are the C1 codes for the ABS related problems that could indicate which wheel sensor is the problem rather than just a general ABS fault dash light.
Thanks so much! That is exactly what I wanted. I now have it saved in my read later file that does not require internet. I will now buy a code reader that reads the depth I want to know. Wow, thanks again.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:15 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderRV View Post
Would you please tell what adapter you use?

I have FORScanSetup2.3.26.beta, is it compatible?

Thanks
Phil
These adapters are recommended by Forscan. https://www.obdlink.com/products/

I'm using the MX+ at work for GM but have used it on my various Fords and a Lexus.

For Fords I use the Forscan software and for non Fords I use the free software from https://www.obdlink.com/

This adapter reads other modules on the vehicle, not just ECM.