Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2009, 03:05 PM   #1

Oil change?

We have a 32LA, 08 Allegro, (Ford). We are planning about a 2500+ mile trip to Eastern Tenn. in Oct. The oil was changed a little over 4 months ago but we have only put approx. 500 miles on it since the last oil change. By the time we get back the oil will have about 3000 to maybe 4000 miles and be approx. 6 months since the last change. The Ford service advisor tells me I need to change the oil every 3000 miles or 3 months even if I have only 500 miles since the last change.

Is Ford trying to get in my pocket or do I really need to get the oil changed before we leave?

Thanks
RJ
RJEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2009, 03:24 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJEV View Post
We have a 32LA, 08 Allegro, (Ford). We are planning about a 2500+ mile trip to Eastern Tenn. in Oct. The oil was changed a little over 4 months ago but we have only put approx. 500 miles on it since the last oil change. By the time we get back the oil will have about 3000 to maybe 4000 miles and be approx. 6 months since the last change. The Ford service advisor tells me I need to change the oil every 3000 miles or 3 months even if I have only 500 miles since the last change.

Is Ford trying to get in my pocket or do I really need to get the oil changed before we leave?

Thanks
RJ
I think you can safely do the trip on the current oil. Ford does recommend changing every 3,000 miles. Since there isn't any daily stop and go driving like with a car you use every day to go to the store and do errands with, the oil doesn't get contaminated. The daily short trips is why they suggest every three months. I change every 3,000 miles, but don't stop at 3,000 miles on trips, sometimes going up to 6,000 miles. I also change in the fall and when I get back from the winter trip.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:18 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Oil is pretty cheap insurance (at least for gas engines that only take 5-6 qt). For my peace of mind, I change mine before long trips, and more often than the manual tells me to.

JMHO
Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:45 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RJ,
You will be fine to make your trip and change your oil after you get back home. Many are not aware back in the mid 1960's, when Ford really began it's lengthy WARRANTY, oil service intervel then was 6 months or 7500 miles, whichever came first. Our oil today is far more superior than back then. I use MOTORCRAFT 10W 30/SYNTHETIC BLEND from Wally world, with the Ford FL 1A filter, and no problems at all. Sometimes I go over 4,000 miles, it's still fairly clean, and no useage. Not bad for 43,000 mile unit. Good luck on your trip............BTW, what part of East Tennessee are you going ? I grew up in Elizabethton in the early 50's, good town.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:23 AM   #5

I think every 3 months is a little on the short side, though 3,000 miles is good for the kind of service an engine does in a motorhome. I wouldn't hesitate to make the trip you're planning without an extra oil change up front.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:30 PM   #6

Thanks for all the input. Decided to wait until we return from Gatlinburg which should put us with about 3000 miles on the oil.

RJ
RJEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:00 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
John: I'm a bit old fashion when it comes to oil changes and as an example, this past summer I (or we) were going to make a long trip west approx 2K one way. Although I only had less then 100 miles since last oil change (last fall) I went ahead and changed oil and filter prior to making this trip. After returning home with a bit over 4K miles on the oil, I changed it again. I figure that I'll have less then 600 miles on this oil when I'll service for storage for winter. I'll change oil and filter again before putting it way for the next 3 months. Like Stewart said, "It's cheap insurance" and I'm sure you've seen the commercial? "Pay me now or pay me later"----- that's kind of what I abide by.

Just my honest opinion.

Marty
Marty too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:50 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
It's marketing. Don't worry about it, it does need to be changed once a year, after the winter months if stored, but otherwise just follow your mileage.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty too View Post
John: I'm a bit old fashion when it comes to oil changes and as an example, this past summer I (or we) were going to make a long trip west approx 2K one way. Although I only had less then 100 miles since last oil change (last fall) I went ahead and changed oil and filter prior to making this trip. After returning home with a bit over 4K miles on the oil, I changed it again. I figure that I'll have less then 600 miles on this oil when I'll service for storage for winter. I'll change oil and filter again before putting it way for the next 3 months. Like Stewart said, "It's cheap insurance" and I'm sure you've seen the commercial? "Pay me now or pay me later"----- that's kind of what I abide by.

Just my honest opinion.

Marty
Your scenario is a little different and I would probably have changed oil as you did. We took a long trip west this year and I changed mine on the road. I had around 1000+ miles since a change in May and couldn't see any way that I was going to avoid changing on a 5000+ mile trip that included a hop over the Rockies even starting out with fresh oil, so I went with it. I actually had a few miles over 4000 before I got to it, but I use Mobil 1 to give myself a little cushion on the intervals.

Even in a year where I don't travel 3000 miles, I tend to change oil spring and fall. I have the advantage of not completely storing mine because I park it at home and drive it 20 or 30 miles every month or so all year round just to keep things in shape. Changing every 3 months still seems a bit much. Changing every 6 "whether it needs it or not" doesn't seem out of order or excessive to me and covers the spring and fall cycle.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:12 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This topic is another one of those sure to elicit passionate responses one way or the other. The fact is oil does not wear out and if you changed your filter often enough, you would never have to change it. However, in the real world, oil change intervals pretty much depend on usage conditions rather than a set time or mileage. I change my oil yearly whether I have put 2K miles or 10K miles on because I'm not driving in severe conditions and I use synthetic oil which provides somewhat better protection. I believe the recommendation on 3000 miles to be outdated.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandS View Post
I change my oil yearly whether I have put 2K miles or 10K miles on because I'm not driving in severe conditions and I use synthetic oil which provides somewhat better protection. I believe the recommendation on 3000 miles to be outdated.
I respect your opinion, but I think that all RV service is by definition "severe conditions."
Old 09-22-2009, 12:10 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mo View Post
I respect your opinion, but I think that all RV service is by definition "severe conditions."
Let me qualify my position. I do not normally drive in extremely hot, cold, or dusty conditions, nor am I driving in mountainous terrain. 99.9% of my mileage is on relatively flat highways in moderate weather. If driving a motorhome down the road @ 60 mph is "severe conditions" to you, then I would agree. However my V-10, with gobs of power and torque, hardly works up a sweat under those circumstances.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:18 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The fact is "Oil does not wear out", but the additives do. Today’s oils have between 25 to 35% additives in the make up of oil, depending on what blend you get. 5-30 blends have twice the additives as 15-30 and so forth. Don't take my word for it, do the research.

These additives break down and slowly wear out and your protection goes with it. One school of thought is, to change the oil from 3000 to 5000 miles for best protection. To get rid of contamination or filth in the oil the only way is to replace it no matter what filter you use. If the contamination is broken down small enough, it will start to go through the filters, no matter what.

My routine is to replace the oil at 3000 to 4000 miles. If I am going on a trip that will be in the 5000 mile area, I then put synthetic to be on the safe side and change it when I get home. I do it myself, that way I know it is done right. Again, that is me...............
MrMudstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:08 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMudstud View Post
The fact is "Oil does not wear out", but the additives do.
Interesting test results on additives attached:http:////oemys-performance.com/techtips4.htm#oil

Bottom line on tests - at 5K miles, approx. 50% of additives left.