Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2021, 07:12 AM   #1

Oil Change Info Wanted

Hello Rv'ers...New to RV world...I would like to change my engine oil and filter...
1999 Georgie Boy...Model 3515 - V10 Triton, Ford...I read it is no different than changing out oil, filter on Ford truck...Correct? any advise, suggestions would be appreciated...
michael1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2021, 08:13 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1988 View Post
Hello Rv'ers...New to RV world...I would like to change my engine oil and filter...
1999 Georgie Boy...Model 3515 - V10 Triton, Ford...I read it is no different than changing out oil, filter on Ford truck...Correct? any advise, suggestions would be appreciated...
I haven’t changed oil on a chassis of that vintage, but my 2010 F53 was, as you say, not much different from a truck with a couple caveats.

One was the location of the oil drain plug right over the front axle, making it necessary to either find a pan that fit in under the pan and on top of the axle, making some kind of a chute to direct the oil into your pan, or just making a huge mess.

The other is the location of the oil fill. You might have to get creative with a funnel. Most likely you’ll find you are better off with one quart oil containers, and maybe a long fill hose that screws onto the top of the oil bottle - available from auto parts stores.

Other than that, is the same as a V10 pick up.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
I haven’t changed oil on a chassis of that vintage, but my 2010 F53 was, as you say, not much different from a truck with a couple caveats.

One was the location of the oil drain plug right over the front axle, making it necessary to either find a pan that fit in under the pan and on top of the axle, making some kind of a chute to direct the oil into your pan, or just making a huge mess.

The other is the location of the oil fill. You might have to get creative with a funnel. Most likely you’ll find you are better off with one quart oil containers, and maybe a long fill hose that screws onto the top of the oil bottle - available from auto parts stores.

Other than that, is the same as a V10 pick up.
Well outlined on both aspects. Exactly as stated, but doable with the appropriate preparations.
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:25 AM   #4

When I found it was going to be over $100 for a simple oil change on my 2019 V-10, I went back to changing my own oil. First thing I bought was this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/FloTool-4...quart/44580714

It holds 16 quarts, but its also long enough to catch the oil when you first take out the plug. positioning is everything . I also purchased a plastic tarp to contain any spill, plus some of those blue work paper towels for clean up. A friend of mine who does his own truck maintenance for his landscaping company recommended a synthetic blend versus full synthetic, and Walmart carries the Motorcraft blend as well as the filters.

Easy enough to do your generator as well while you're under there.

I also bought a good grease gun to lube the chassis while I had some time planned for maintenance. All said, you can outfit yourself well for all of this for less than the cost of an oil change at a dealer.
GABob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:56 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Install a Fomoto valve in place of the oil pan drain. I use a transparent plastic hose from the valve to an empty 5 quart oil jug. No mess, and makes it easy to recycle the oil. I take it to my local auto parts store. They take the oil and I reuse the jug again and again.

Here is a link: Fumoto® USA | Quick and Easy Engine Oil Drain Valves
aviator37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:20 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator37 View Post
Install a Fomoto valve in place of the oil pan drain. I use a transparent plastic hose from the valve to an empty 5 quart oil jug. No mess, and makes it easy to recycle the oil. I take it to my local auto parts store. They take the oil and I reuse the jug again and again.

Here is a link: Fumoto USA | Quick and Easy Engine Oil Drain Valves
Get the Fomoto. Have 1999 it makes it so easy.
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:05 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
6 qts semisynthetic 5W-20 is the current suggestion from Ford. In 1999 it was 10W-30.

I installed a Fumoto valve. The filter is the messy part now.

The generator uses a Fumoto valve. It uses a small diameter filter, the filter wrench assortment at Harbor Freight has onw that fits. I also bought the Onan Filter Wrench on Amazon.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABob View Post
When I found it was going to be over $100 for a simple oil change on my 2019 V-10, I went back to changing my own oil. First thing I bought was this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/FloTool-4...quart/44580714

It holds 16 quarts, but its also long enough to catch the oil when you first take out the plug. positioning is everything . I also purchased a plastic tarp to contain any spill, plus some of those blue work paper towels for clean up. A friend of mine who does his own truck maintenance for his landscaping company recommended a synthetic blend versus full synthetic, and Walmart carries the Motorcraft blend as well as the filters.

Easy enough to do your generator as well while you're under there.

I also bought a good grease gun to lube the chassis while I had some time planned for maintenance. All said, you can outfit yourself well for all of this for less than the cost of an oil change at a dealer.
Just a couple of things to add to this. DO NOT forget to open the air vent on that catch pan/jug, or it will quickly overflow. You might also want to keep a close eye on it the first time to see if will take the flow of oil from the engine. What I use instead of a tarp is a dollar store or used shower curtain. They are oil proof while a tarp usually lets a little oil through. Good luck.
arcaguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 03:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
Just a couple of things to add to this. DO NOT forget to open the air vent on that catch pan/jug, or it will quickly overflow. You might also want to keep a close eye on it the first time to see if will take the flow of oil from the engine. What I use instead of a tarp is a dollar store or used shower curtain. They are oil proof while a tarp usually lets a little oil through. Good luck.
Good tip on the drain pan vent.

I had just pulled the plug on my toads oil pan and as the oil is pouring out, I start to hear " glug, glug, glug ".

I spin the drain pan, and pop open the vent, just before it overflowed.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 05:39 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
To avoid the filter mess after loosening it get a 1 Gal. zip lock bag put it over the filter unscrew the filter in the bag the oil will stay in the bag along with the filter.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 06:11 PM   #11

Don't be cheap, go full synthetic 5W30.

Here is my Rube Goldberg fill technique.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210129_143041.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	325379  
Old 04-17-2021, 06:56 PM   #12

I use a $7 drill pump and my cordless drill.

I cut 2 hoses, each about 2 feet long, for the pump and pump the oil in. Quick and easy.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 08:14 PM   #13

How to do a oil change on a gas motorhome, V10 with Fumoto Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Silber View Post
Get the Fomoto. Have 1999 it makes it so easy.
x2.
I found this video about a year ago. Some real good tips here and shows the ease of using a Fumoto Valve.
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wayne View Post
To avoid the filter mess after loosening it get a 1 Gal. zip lock bag put it over the filter unscrew the filter in the bag the oil will stay in the bag along with the filter.

Best idea I've seen in a long time, thanks!!!
GABob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags