Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2016, 09:00 AM   #15

FORD's 2014 F-Series Super Duty Class A Motorhome and Commercial Chassis Owner's Manual (PAGE 125):
Every 7,500 miles or 6 months change oil and filter (Page 127...If towing a trailer(car) every 5,000 or 6 months)
Every 15,000 miles or 12 months inspect the transmission fluid, consult dealer for requirements. Further down the page it says change the transmission fluid at 60,000 miles.
Every 15,000 miles.......Inspect steering linkage, ball joints, suspension, tie-rod ends, driveshaft and U-joints. Lubricate if equipped with grease fittings. (mine has grease fitting)
Every 30,000 miles change Air Filter
Every 97,500 miles replace spark plugs.
Every 105,000 miles change engine coolant, and rear axle fluid.

Folks somethings have gotten better with time. Oil, filters and spark plugs are all together different than when we were in high school. I didn't set these standards, I just copied them out of the Ford manual that came with my coach.
I'm going to follow Ford's recommendations, with the money saved I'll take the wife to dinner and buy more fuel.
grumpytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2016, 10:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Once a year or 10000 miles, which ever comes first. Spring time is the best time to change it. It's part of the getting ready for the camping season thang.
Changing the oil and filter every 10,000 miles may work, but it's well beyond the recommended interval of 5,000 miles if towing and 7,500 miles when not towing. By doing this you have chosen to disregard recommendations Ford has provided. You have also opened the door to a possible claim denial from Ford should you have engine an failure.

Ford clearly stipulates that maintenance schedules need to be followed to keep the warranty in force. The engine and transmission are covered for a minimum of 5 years and/or 60,000 miles provided the owner follows the maintenance schedule. Ford does not have a different oil change schedule for synthetic blend and full synthetic oils.

If there is an engine problem the first thing Ford will ask the customer for is proof of maintenance. If you provide information that doesn't support that the schedule has been followed Ford has grounds deny a claim. They don't have to prove the altered schedule caused the problem. All they have to do is point out that the schedule wasn't followed and therefore the customer has chosen to void the warranty. I'm not saying this happens in all cases, but I can tell you that I have seen it happen.

Personally I would follow the manufacturers recommendations. The cost of changing synthetic blend oil and an oil filter will come to about $480.00 over 60,000 miles at Ford dealership prices. Should you be a DIY person the cost is closer to $300.00. Since it takes most of us 5 years or longer to reach that milestone it's cheap insurance should something happen to the engine under the warranty period.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:49 PM   #17

I learned the hard way. My RV was in storage for 7 months and didn't realize that I needed to change the oil. I only had 13,000 miles on the engine and I had already changed the oil twice. There were only 2000 miles since my last oil change when my Ford V-10 failed. Ford refused to honor the warranty because I didn't change the oil within 6 months of when it failed. It cost me $13,500 for a new engine. It took 5 weeks to get a new engine because there were 375 people ahead of me waiting for a new engine. The new engine only lasted 35 miles before grinding itself up. I friend of mine who retired from Ford told me that Ford changed their oil change requirements because they were loosing too much money on warranty repairs. CHANGE THE OIL EVERY 6 MONTHS WHETHER YOU USE YOUR RV OR NOT.
Cbialorucki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:15 PM   #18

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbialorucki View Post
I learned the hard way. My RV was in storage for 7 months and didn't realize that I needed to change the oil. I only had 13,000 miles on the engine and I had already changed the oil twice. There were only 2000 miles since my last oil change when my Ford V-10 failed. Ford refused to honor the warranty because I didn't change the oil within 6 months of when it failed. It cost me $13,500 for a new engine. It took 5 weeks to get a new engine because there were 375 people ahead of me waiting for a new engine. The new engine only lasted 35 miles before grinding itself up. I friend of mine who retired from Ford told me that Ford changed their oil change requirements because they were loosing too much money on warranty repairs. CHANGE THE OIL EVERY 6 MONTHS WHETHER YOU USE YOUR RV OR NOT.
What failed in your engine? How do you feel it was related to not changing the oil?
Is there something else?
I believe that you might have been a victim of a Service rep out to make a buck. Was it actually Ford that refused you?

Don't forget your dealer makes more when warranty is denied. They can sound like Ford but they are a long way from Ford customer service.
Did you contact Ford customer service to dispute the dealers refusal to honer your claim?
Just think of the profit on $13500.

Also having a fleet of trucks. Our shop was never refused a warranty claim that was legitimate. Our policy was whatever failed during the warranty period we would claim. Because too often we were unsure of what we were entitled to. We did not win all claims but never had an issue about our service practice's.
Our dealer would handle the claim. But most times we would do the work. Only a couple times did they enter our shop to inspect a failure and all we were required to do was supply the failed parts.
We bought filters and oil in advance and that was always proof enough that the services were complete.

My coach has a chassis service manual in it and it is a complete guide to service the unit. There is no need to have a dealer involved regardless if the unit is under warranty or not. I would do all my own services even if the unit was brand new.
A lot of people are told they have to return to the Dealer for service. If I were ever told this I would run really fast and find a different place t do business.

Now with that said if I am wrong than times have changed and I would welcome enlightenment on this subject.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 05:36 AM   #19

Ford Refused Me

I was towed into a Ford truck dealer. I spoke directly to Ford HQ. I even wrote a letter to Ford's CEO. They all told me the same thing. If you don't change the oil every 6 months or 7500 miles, the warranty is void. They said that condensation could cause the oil to fail when left in storage. Even the dealer told me that Ford has quality problems with that engine. The tech that replaced the engine told me that he believes the tolerances are too tight. Both engines that failed had metal shavings in the oil after they failed. Ford blamed the oil. I even used synthetic oil.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:30 AM   #20

Quote:
I was towed into a Ford truck dealer. I spoke directly to Ford HQ. I even wrote a letter to Ford's CEO. They all told me the same thing. If you don't change the oil every 6 months or 7500 miles, the warranty is void. They said that condensation could cause the oil to fail when left in storage. Even the dealer told me that Ford has quality problems with that engine. The tech that replaced the engine told me that he believes the tolerances are too tight. Both engines that failed had metal shavings in the oil after they failed. Ford blamed the oil. I even used synthetic oil.
What brand and weight of synthetic oil did you use ?
What year V 10 ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:38 AM   #21

Ford is using the oil change as an excuse not to warranty, did the older oil really destroy the engine?
Old 03-25-2016, 11:59 AM   #22

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So if I leave my unit in storage for a year. To get this straight.
I have to take it out of storage and change the oil in order to get warranty?
Than put it back in storage?

Sorry I think you got sold a bill of goods!
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:25 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's silly not change the oil every 5000 miles. It's easy on the f53. I pay about $23 for 5 quart jugs of castrol full synthetic at Walmart and order WIX oil filters a few at a time on the internet. Ordering few at a time means free shipping. It's the best insurance you can get for that expensive engine.
aviator37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by narampa View Post
So if I leave my unit in storage for a year. To get this straight.
I have to take it out of storage and change the oil in order to get warranty?
Than put it back in storage?

Sorry I think you got sold a bill of goods!
I have t agree the situation is far from normal. Having worked at a Ford dealership I can say I was never aware of a legitimate claim being denied. Both the dealership and the company went out of their way to accommodate customers.

I can however say there were instances where claims were determined to be misuse and abuse. In those cases claims were denied. There were times when vehicles were brought in with blown engines that had absolutely no maintenance records. When the valve covers were opened or the pan was removed they were filled with sludge. There were times when trucks came in with bent frames, bent shocks, bent wheels and even a bent driveshaft. All the while the customer is telling me it was only driven to church on Sunday by his 80 year old grandmother. That may have been the case, but granny must have been taking the cross country route to church.

It's not unusual for trucks to sit long periods in storage. Over the years Ford has even released TSB's outlining the proper procedures to be taken when placing vehicles in long term storage. Even the F53 owners manual outlines how to prepare the chassis for storage periods in excess of 60 days.

This procedure includes running the engine up to normal operating temperature every 15 days. Following the recommendations the engine would be run approximately 4 hours in a 6 month period. This is hardly enough time to require an oil change.

As a point of reference Ford recommends changing oil at 5,000 miles when towing and 7,500 miles when not towing. The number of hours on the engine are figured at approximately 33 mph. Driving the vehicle for 5,000 miles requires approximately 151 hours of engine runtime. Driving the vehicle for 7,500 miles requires approximately 227 hours of engine runtime. Conversely running the engine for 4 hours while in storage is the equivalent of driving 132 miles. I can't believe Ford would require the oil to be changed in a 6 month period with only 4 hours or 132 miles of runtime on the engine.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:15 AM   #25

Newer engine failed

My RV (Ford V-10) engine was manufactured in 2012. For those of you who store your RV for long periods of time, Ford does require you to change the oil every 6 months whether you use it or not. If you don't want to do that, I suggest that you change the oil after you take it out of storage. That way they can't blame it on condensation. Ford did not test the oil as they are required to do. They just used it as an excuse.

I consulted 3 attorneys and they all said the same thing. "If you do not follow the maintenance manual, Ford does not have to honor the warranty." So you are screwed if your engine fails.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:34 AM   #26

Quote:
My RV (Ford V-10) engine was manufactured in 2012. For those of you who store your RV for long periods of time, Ford does require you to change the oil every 6 months whether you use it or not. If you don't want to do that, I suggest that you change the oil after you take it out of storage. That way they can't blame it on condensation. Ford did not test the oil as they are required to do. They just used it as an excuse.

I consulted 3 attorneys and they all said the same thing. "If you do not follow the maintenance manual, Ford does not have to honor the warranty." So you are screwed if your engine fails.
I find it easier just to change the oil per Ford's schedule, I use Motorcraft oil and filter even though my coach is no longer under warranty. I think the Ford engineers had reasons for service intervals and oil/filter recommendations.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:15 PM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have always used my brand of oil and good filters.. Not sure of Ford's interval but mine is 4000 miles
Terryshirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:40 AM   #28

Triple E Owners Club
I just checked the manual for the 2018 E450. There is no mention of needing an oil change after 6 months of storage. What am I missing?
lexton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford