Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2021, 04:56 PM   #1

Oil pan drain plug

2014 Jayco precept on F53 chassis so I would assume 2013 chassis. Anyone know off hand what size th e drain plug is. I want to add a Fumoto valve and their web site is not listing the f53 or at least I can't find it.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2021, 05:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc70 View Post
2014 Jayco precept on F53 chassis so I would assume 2013 chassis. Anyone know off hand what size th e drain plug is. I want to add a Fumoto valve and their web site is not listing the f53 or at least I can't find it.
Your F53 has a Triton 6.8L V10. All Ford V10s have the same oil drain plug thread so pick the version you want https://www.fumotousa.com/cars-picku...3-f53-6-8l-v10. I have the F106SX on our MH and like it. I have Fumoto valves on all of our vehicles.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:27 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
They work great. Attach clear hose and drain into gal old oil jar.
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:35 PM   #4

Not quite, the Ford V10 holds 6 quarts. Won't fit into a one gallon container. I use a bucket for the MH.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:13 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have cats their litter comes in a great sized container which holds 2 or more gallons. My 7 qt V-10 fills it over 1/2 way. If you don't have cats ask a friend who does to save a few containers.

I use them for all my oil waste. My neighbor will take all I create and uses it to lube his farm equipment. He didn't tell me exactly where or how he uses it but he said he needs it for his hay bailer.

If he stops bailing I have a student who has a waste oil fired furnace in his auto repair shop.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffeys View Post
Not quite, the Ford V10 holds 6 quarts. Won't fit into a one gallon container. I use a bucket for the MH.
My 2008 V-10 holds 7 quarts. My 2007 Ford V-8 also holds 7 quarts and they both use the same filter. I like that.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 10:56 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffeys View Post
That is the joy of the fumota valve. I drain into a gallon jug. When it gets almost full, I shut it off and pour the oil into a large container. I then drain the rest into the jug. It is lighter and much more manageable doing it that way.
Old 06-27-2021, 03:29 PM   #8

Im looking at putting in a Fumoto on my next oil change and was curious as to seems to be the best - the F106 with the long nipple or the new F106-SX? Also, will the 1/2" plastic hose stay attached with having to use a clamp or zip tie? I see there are tube kits with hoses / elbow available, but that seems overkill to me. Thanks for any info.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 09:32 PM   #9

The use of Fumoto drain plug valves limits the speed flow of oil out of the drain pan and mechanics do not recommend these because the low oil volume flow will cause sludge to not drain out of the oil pan thus causing sludge build up and diminished fresh oil capacity. Talk to an engine mechanic before installing one.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 06:06 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
Im looking at putting in a Fumoto on my next oil change and was curious as to seems to be the best - the F106 with the long nipple or the new F106-SX? Also, will the 1/2" plastic hose stay attached with having to use a clamp or zip tie? I see there are tube kits with hoses / elbow available, but that seems overkill to me. Thanks for any info.
The oil is not under pressure my hose is about 15 years old and still does not leak when draining oil.
Old 06-28-2021, 06:09 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
The use of Fumoto drain plug valves limits the speed flow of oil out of the drain pan and mechanics do not recommend these because the low oil volume flow will cause sludge to not drain out of the oil pan thus causing sludge build up and diminished fresh oil capacity. Talk to an engine mechanic before installing one.
What sludge? I have been a mechanic for 65 years and have never heard or seen this. If you change oil on a regular basis, there should never be any sludge.
Old 06-28-2021, 06:45 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
What sludge? I have been a mechanic for 65 years and have never heard or seen this. If you change oil on a regular basis, there should never be any sludge.
My oil drains quickly. Make sure oil is warm
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:00 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Vcr,

I also have many, many years experience changing engine oil. That statement concerning the flow of oil is out of date, not informed and just silly. Engine metal wear does create sludge. That is a fact. Oils used today are much different from oils back in the 50's and 60's. Oils then were not considered "Detergent" oils. What does that mean?? All metal particles were not suspended within the oil but allowed to settle to the bottom of the oil as well as collecting in and around the internal engine oil pan.

In the 60's oils were changed to HD or "High Detergent". Small metal particles or those so small they were not and could not be stopped or removed by the oil filter were SUSPENDED in the oil and carried out when the oil was changed.

If the oil flows from the drain plug hole or valve it will carry away the majority of those small particles of metal resulting from normal engine wear. The larger particles are filltered by the oil filter. Yes there will always be some oil that does not and can not flow from the block. New oil will pick that up and again begin to suspend those particles for the next oil change. That's exactly why changing oil regularly is necessary.

Technicians know to change oil when it is hot/warm so it will flow better and therefore remove more dirty oil. Last but not least most folks these days do or at least should use synthetic oils. The amount of engine friction and therefore wear is considerably reduced by ithe use of these modern oils. Less wear means less possbile sludge being created. These are facts about newer synthetic oils that are very well supported by tons and tons of literature.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
I only install the drain tube when actually draining the oil. It doesn't stay on the valve all the time.

Also, DEF comes in 2.5 gallon jugs. Perfect size for draining V-10 oil.
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote