Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2016, 09:38 PM   #1

P0300 Engine Code 2016 Chassis

My 2016 six speed is in the shop to fix a P0300 engine light code (Random Misfires).

This is the fourth time the engine light has come on. It comes on every 300 to 400 miles. The first two times I scanned the code and erased it. After the second light I called our local Ford truck service and they said to bring it in the next time the engine light came on.

I took it to Ford late November 2015. I stopped by the shop every 10 days or so. After Christmas Ford called to say that a technician would drive my RV to analyze the problem. After a short discussion I found out that the engine light was off. I told them that they would have to drive it about 300 miles. They drove it 60 miles. Ford called to say that it was ready and that they didn't find anything.

When I picked up the RV I noticed that the radio had lost all of its programming. That was when I realized they had allowed the battery to loose it's charge erasing all of the code info. That was bad enough but the schedules presented a "we are smarter than you" attitude.

So on Tuesday of this week my wife and I went on a road trip just to get the engine light to come on. It came on on Wednesday. I had prescheled a visit with the dealer where we purchased the RV. They now have in service.

Their RV service manager sent an email to say that they were working on my RV. He said that they found two codes, whatever that means.

The email said that Winnebago issued a recall on the entry steps and that the parts are already at the dealership.

And lastly my side view cameras are foggy. They are talking to Winnebago about the issue. He said that a few years ago Winnebago had a problem with moisture but that my problem appears to be different.

Safe travels. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2016, 09:16 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
A P0300 diagnostic code indicates a random or multiple misfire. If the last digit is a number other than zero, it corresponds to the cylinder number that is misfiring. A P0302 code, for example, would tell you cylinder number two is misfiring. Unfortunately, a P0300 doesn't tell you specifically which cylinder(s) is/are mis-firing, nor why.

Read more at: OBD-II Trouble Code: P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
Copyright OBD-Codes.com
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:15 PM   #3
mre

Sounds awful. Lost time when you could be traveling. Please keep us posted.
mre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed rzepka View Post
Sounds awful. Lost time when you could be traveling. Please keep us posted.
Yes it is awful. We have a coast to coast trip planned but we don't want to start if we are going to get an engine light every 350 miles. I've received emails from the Winnebago side of the dealership and he says that the Ford side appears to be stumped. I believe that they are talking with Ford about the problem.

Today I told my wife that we needed to take a test drive to make sure it is fixed. Hopefully they can find the problem and get it fixed with confidence.

The Winnebago side is busy fixing other issues. There was a recall on the steps. Winnebago had them replace electrical terminals and washers on the electronics for the steps.

My side view cameras are foggy. When my coach arrived it had front end damage caused by the delivery driver. The front cap had to have fiberglass and paint repair. After the repair there was over spray on the windshield. I asked if maybe the side view cameras had been damaged when the repair was made. The answer was that Winnebago has said to replace the cameras and they suggested that is the best answer. I agreed. JD
Old 02-05-2016, 09:28 PM   #5

Stuart W. that is the problem, no specific items to check. My local Ford truck service center assured me that their computers would find the fault. Then they let the battery go dead and they lost the info. JD
Old 02-06-2016, 04:24 PM   #6

My coach had that same problem. Ford dealer tech hooked up his computer and we took a test drive. I had random misfires on cyl 2 and 8. Tech pulled the engine cover and replaced both the plugs, while doing so he found quite a bit of moisture on the plug caps. He pulled all 10 coil packs dried them off and applied dielectric grease to the plug caps. Post test drive no misfires and now 900 miles later I'm in Fl with the coach and all is OK. I used my local Ford dealer we did all the work in the parking lot as the coach won't fit inside his building.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:06 PM   #7

Z3406,

The first Ford truck service said that they hooked up their computer and drove about 60 miles. They said that the engine ran fine with no faults. That was after they allowed the battery to go dead. I don't have a lot of confidence in them.

No word as yet. They have only had two days to analyze and diagnose the problem. I will call early next week. I would have already called if the Winnebago service manager was not sending emails. JD
Old 02-06-2016, 10:52 PM   #8

You might mention to winny and ford about Z3406's cure to his problem which it sounds like it was just stumbled upon.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:06 PM   #9

Jergeod,

I get email notifications from IRV2 and Z3406's advice has already been forwarded. Thanks. JD
Old 02-07-2016, 08:42 AM   #10

During my test drive with the tech the test equipment he had hooked up to the coach showed the misfires occurring. After he did his thing the second test drive showed the misfires were gone. My local Ford non heavy truck dealer took care of issue. I actually had a pretty good time with the tech he was knowledgable and interesting to work with. The check engine light was on when I took the coach to the dealer. The total time for the dealer to handle this was about 4 hours. I did have to schedule the service appointment in advance.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:09 PM   #11

I was having this same problem with my 2015 Georgetown XL and it turned out to be a bad battery that was throwing the P300 code. Two cells were bad and the battery looked like it had froze at one time. When I first test drove the coach before buying it, the battery was completely dead and they had to jump start it. It had sat on the dealers lot for almost a year. When I picked it up it started fine because they had it plugged in and the converter keep the battery charged enough that I didn't notice a problem. I got the problem when we went on our first trip and the light would start blinking when we started down a steep hill and I took my foot off the gas, as soon as I stepped on the gas the light would go out. Appears the alt would put out enough volts under power to keep the light off but as soon as the rpm dropped the light would start blinking again and throw the P300 code.
georgew48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgew48 View Post
I was having this same problem with my 2015 Georgetown XL and it turned out to be a bad battery that was throwing the P300 code. Two cells were bad and the battery looked like it had froze at one time. When I first test drove the coach before buying it, the battery was completely dead and they had to jump start it. It had sat on the dealers lot for almost a year. When I picked it up it started fine because they had it plugged in and the converter keep the battery charged enough that I didn't notice a problem. I got the problem when we went on our first trip and the light would start blinking when we started down a steep hill and I took my foot off the gas, as soon as I stepped on the gas the light would go out. Appears the alt would put out enough volts under power to keep the light off but as soon as the rpm dropped the light would start blinking again and throw the P300 code.
We ordered this RV from Winnebago. As soon as it was finished it was shipped. Time on the lot was about two weeks while they prepared for delivery. That said the cause is unknown. The RV goes up inclines without the engine light coming on. After about 300 to 400 miles the engine light comes on.

If Ford remains stumped I will make other people's experience available to them.

It's funny how the solution is always the last thing tried. One would think we would learn to try the last thing first.

Safe travels. JD
Old 02-09-2016, 06:39 PM   #13

I called my Winnebago / Ford dealer today. They say that they have consulted Ford about my problem and applied all of the fixes that Ford suggested. I believe they reset, or cleared, computers.

After talking with the mechanic I was told that they were getting random misfires on cylinders 2 and 8. They removed all of the spark plugs and switched them to different cylinders. After putting everything back together they are no longer getting random misfires on any cylinder.

I suspect (or hope) that somewhere in the electrical system there were contacts that were not constant. Hopefully by taking it apart and putting it back together they have inadvertently fixed any contacts that were iffy.

He said that they were not 100 percent sure that they fixed the problem and that we could stop at a Ford dealer on our trip if the problem happens again.

I think we will take a 400 mile trip prior to leaving on our trip.

Thanks for the help.

Safe travels. JD
Old 02-09-2016, 06:50 PM   #14
mre

We pick-up our new 33C in about two weeks. I think I will print off this thread and carry it in the new MH just in case.
mre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, engine