Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2021, 08:42 AM   #1

P0720 Error Code on Ford Triton v10

I have a 2000 Fleetwood RV with a Ford Triton v10 that is throwing a P0720 Engine Code Error. I use a FIXD OBD2 Scanner and it defines this error as “Output Speed Sensor Insufficient Input”. This error will eventually result in the “Service Engine Soon” light coming on. We bought the RV a little over a year ago and the Service Engine Soon light was on then. I have had the situation checked out now by 4 different shops – an RV repair place, a regular auto repair place, a tire place which had a guy supposedly good with RVs and a Transmission repair place. They have cleared the light (which I now see by using the FIXD device is nothing) but it always came back and there has never been any noticeable effect on the transmission shifting, speedometer function, etc. After a year, 20+ camping trips and over 4000 road miles, I believe I now have a 100% ability to either prevent this error or cause this error. After I start up the RV, I use FIXD to scan and if the code is found and/or if the Service Engine light is on then I clear it (light and code). Once I am on the move, if I have to come to a complete stop at a light, traffic backup, etc. then the Overdrive OFF light on the gear shift lever will start blinking within 2-15 seconds of being stopped. This is true whether I start out with the Overdrive Off or not, either way. Once the OFF light is blinking and I’m ready to move again, if I accelerate very gently the transmission will shifting from 1 to 2, 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 (if Overdrive is ON) perfectly smoothly. However, if for example I am stopped on a bit of an up incline and I need to accelerate a bit more aggressively to get going, I will get a slight jerk as the transmission shifts. Regardless, though, once I am rolling again, within 10 to 20 seconds the OFF light will stop blinking and all will be totally fine until I have to come to a dead stop again. Now, if I do a FIXD scan after the OFF light as started blinking, the P0720 error will be there. If I don’t clear the code then after a while, sometimes days or weeks depending on our amount of camping, the Service Engine Soon light will come on. OK, now for how to prevent this from happening…simple, don’t come to a complete stop! Not always possible but by paying close attention to upcoming stop lights, stopped traffic, etc, I have become a master at beginning to break VERY early and slowing WAY down, I mean down to the level of rolling along at 2 inches per second. By driving this way, I have been able to go for entire trips without ever coming to a dead stop…and therefore never getting a flashing OFF light and never getting a P0720 error. But, it’s annoying to drive this way. So, my question is: what do I need to do to fix this? Replace a speed sensor? Which one? Or get something fixed in the transmission? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Scott
Scott2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2021, 09:28 AM   #2

Code P0720 is for the output speed sensor (OSS) on the rear of the transmission. I doubt that the sensor is really the problem.

Since this happens only when you are stopped, I suspect there is noise in the signal. That noise usually happens from a bad diode in the alternator. Even with a bad diode, the alternator can still charge, but it puts an AC ripple on top of the DC current.

If you can get an oscilloscope on the alternator output you will be able to see this. A repair shop that specializes in automotive electrical should be able to do this. Transmission shops probably cannot check this.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:41 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
You might try replacing the OSS on the transmission.
If not that check the OSS wires.

/
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2 View Post
I have a 2000 Fleetwood RV with a Ford Triton v10 that is throwing a P0720 Engine Code Error. I use a FIXD OBD2 Scanner and it defines this error as “Output Speed Sensor Insufficient Input”. This error will eventually result in the “Service Engine Soon” light coming on. We bought the RV a little over a year ago and the Service Engine Soon light was on then. I have had the situation checked out now by 4 different shops – an RV repair place, a regular auto repair place, a tire place that had a guy supposedly good with RVs, and a Transmission repair place. They have cleared the light (which I now see by using the FIXD device is nothing) but it always came back and there has never been any noticeable effect on the transmission shifting, speedometer function, etc. After a year, 20+ camping trips, and over 4000 road miles, I believe I now have a 100% ability to either prevent this error or cause this error. After I start up the RV, I use FIXD to scan and if the code is found and/or if the Service Engine light is on then I clear it (light and code). Once I am on the move, if I have to come to a complete stop at a light, traffic backup, etc. then the Overdrive OFF light on the gear shift lever will start blinking within 2-15 seconds of being stopped. This is true whether I start out with the Overdrive Off or not, either way. Once the OFF light is blinking and I’m ready to move again, if I accelerate very gently the transmission will be shifting from 1 to 2, 2 to 3, and 3 to 4 (if Overdrive is ON) perfectly smoothly. However, if for example I am stopped on a bit of an up incline and I need to accelerate a bit more aggressively to get going, I will get a slight jerk as the transmission shifts. Regardless, though, once I am rolling again, within 10 to 20 seconds the OFF light will stop blinking and all will be totally fine until I have to come to a dead stop again. Now, if I do a FIXD scan after the OFF light as started blinking, the P0720 error will be there. If I don’t clear the code then after a while, sometimes days or weeks depending on our amount of camping, the Service Engine Soon light will come on. OK, now for how to prevent this from happening…simple, don’t come to a complete stop! Not always possible but by paying close attention to upcoming stop lights, stopped traffic, etc, I have become a master at beginning to break VERY early and slowing WAY down, I mean down to the level of rolling along at 2 inches per second. By driving this way, I have been able to go for entire trips without ever coming to a dead stop…and therefore never getting a flashing OFF light and never getting a P0720 error. But, it’s annoying to drive this way. So, my question is: what do I need to do to fix this? Replace a speed sensor? Which one? Or get something fixed in the transmission? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Scott

You must check your battery water level because sometimes battery power when down then this problem is shown up. Battery power is connected with the light. When battery power is down then lights power depends on speed. That's why when you slow down speed then it jerks and off the light.
I suggest you first check then if it the not solves the problem then you change this before the talk the expert's mechanics.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:15 PM   #5

Thanks Mark, Subford and Senky

I'll follow up on these suggestions and let you know! Scott
Scott2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 06:28 AM   #6

noise

I seem to recall a TSB about bad grounds for the PCM that caused some weird shifting
tiffy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 01:28 PM   #7

A couple of threads that may help. In my case it was electrical noise messing with the ecm.

Follow this one to page two.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/spee...ml#post2835874

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/tran...ml#post3951232
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, v10