Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2021, 12:23 PM   #1

Parking Brake Question

My Question: Does the parking brake on my 2018 24K F53 chassis stop both sides of the rear wheels from turning, or just one side?
I ask this because I have needed to raise the rear up when leveling and would like to know if it is OK if one side of the rear wheels is not supporting weight. Mine is a foot operated parking brake and works well. I believe from trying to research the question, my parking brake is the differential type.
Thanks for any assistance,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2021, 12:30 PM   #2

Wade-

I don't know the answer to your question. I'll be following this thread.

I have had the coach shift when I raised the rear too high. It bent one of the front leveling gear mounts, and maybe the other (it's a bit hard to tell with the second). Damage could have been worse, including a twisted frame or broken windshield. Since then I've been careful not to unload weight completely from either of the rear wheel sets.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 12:54 PM   #3

Is it a driveshaft brake?
Old 07-24-2021, 12:54 PM   #4

Your parking brake is on the driveshaft, not on the wheels, so the answer is if one wheel is off the ground you have NO parking brake on either wheel.

Of course, the jacks bearing onto the ground will not let the RV move, unless the slope was so severe that the picnic table was skidding down the site.

Once you lift over 2 inchs, the only thing the brakes are holding is the weigh of the tires and axle.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 01:11 PM   #5

Resolved

Thanks Twinboat. After Steve's question I crawled under the motorhome and see the big "drum" looking piece of equipment at the end of the driveshaft. Knowing that would not give me enough info to answer my question, but Twinboat gave me the info I need.
Thanks,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:39 AM   #6

Note to self: If jacking up a motorhome, chock every wheel that will remain on the ground for safety sake.

I have gotten too use to parking brake that "locks" both drive wheels.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:49 AM   #7

One more thing, if jacking up the coach don't have any jacks down not on the end you are jacking up. In other words if you are jacking up the rear have the front jack retracted and vice versa. Also whatever end of the coach you are working on use both jacks on that end a PUT JACK STANDS UNDER THE FRAME and make sure the other wheels are chocked with at least 4x4s before you start, Make sure the jack stands are on pavement not on dirt unless you have them on steel or wood plates. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:55 AM   #8

Another word of caution !

Don't pull an axle half shaft with drive shaft brake vehicles. It will roll away.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

Don't pull an axle half shaft with drive shaft brake vehicles. It will roll away.
I am probably just too dense or too tired, but not sure I understand what you are describing.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:27 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

That's a mistake you'll only do once and tell the story countless times.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
I am probably just too dense or too tired, but not sure I understand what you are describing.
Since the brake drum is on the drive shaft, if you drop the shaft you will have no parking brake. Your RV can roll away. Always chock the vehicle if dropping the drive shaft.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:24 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Since the brake drum is on the drive shaft, if you drop the shaft you will have no parking brake. Your RV can roll away. Always chock the vehicle if dropping the drive shaft.
That would be true of the old f53 brake. The new ones have the brake at the rear end. The brake would still hold on the rear end models.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
That would be true of the old f53 brake. The new ones have the brake at the rear end. The brake would still hold on the rear end models.
Why would it matter which end of the drive shaft the brake is on? [emoji15]
Old 07-31-2021, 10:45 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
No matter which end of the driveshaft the emergency brake is on, locking the driveshaft will NOT lock the wheels. Inside the rearend, there are "spider" gears that allow the wheels on one side to turn at a different speed than the wheels on the other side. If that wasn't possible, turning a corner would be very hard to do. With either set of tires off the ground, turning one wheel one way will turn the other wheel the other way. That means if only one set of tires is off the ground and vehicle tries to move either forward or backward, the wheels off the ground will turn the other way (remember they're off the ground) allowing the vehicle to move regardless if the driveshaft is locked or not. Only when both sets of rear tires are on the ground will locking the driveshaft keep the wheels from turning. One most rear wheel drive cars, the emergency brake applies pressure to both rear brake drums/pads (but that's not always the case). Like others have said, be safe and chock the front tires and DO NOT RELY ON THE EMERGENCY BRAKE TO HOLD THE VEHICLE IN PLACE when raising the back wheels off the pavement! At the very least, you could bend your jacks at the the worst it could fall on you as jacks bend. If your jacks are the kind that fold when retracted instead of being straight, it's even easier to slip off them.
DFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, parking