Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2021, 07:03 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
"Performance Air Filter" Sequel

I tried to reply to this thread, got it all typed out, then they tell me it's 1061 days old and I can't reply to it.
But I still think it applies to us 3 years later. And I hoped I would get additional thoughts on it.
Heres was my reply.

That was a long interesting read. I was hoping for a follow up after longer testing, a couple thousannd miles. Also wondered if TeeJay, Crankshaft and others also got a more flow thru muffler.? Did you guys get any better gas mileage?

I'd like to post pics of my DIY CAI to see if it could get an approval or thoughts , good or bad, but I dont see how I can post them right from my computer; like I can on some other forums. Any thoughts on this?

I used 4" flexible conduit. Not the dryer tin foil type, more smooth. I used a 4" by 8" conduit increaser/ reducer for the air scoop attached directly to the lower right side grill.

We dont get much heavy rain here, but if water ingestion can be a problem, , I can use a 5/16 nut driver and take it off the stock intake. I also will drill a 1/2" hole or 2 in the bottom of the stock box for better drainage, and I guess a little more air.

What I'm hoping for is a little better gas mileage since I only get about 6 here in Colorado.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2021, 07:42 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I doubt you will see an increase in MPG. CAI will get you more noise that is about it. I know because I installed a K&N CAI on my rv. I may have a very slight increase in performance. In combination with a free flowing exhaust perhaps it is worth a small boost in performance.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:44 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've done that on 3 V10s so far, my DP, every car, truck and motorcycle I've owned. For 40 years now.
More acceleration especially entering 4 lane highways, slight increase in mpg, .1 to .4 mpg average. I do it more for safety than mileage.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:36 AM   #4

You can post pictures directly from your computer. When replying scroll down towards the bottom and there's a section called 'additional options'. In that section there is a button 'manage attachments'. Here you can upload a couple photos that are included with the post. Yes... not very intuitive or user friendly
Old 12-04-2021, 11:21 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for that Mack73.

Ive been here since about 2005, and never knew that. Used to be I uploaded them to PhotoBucket something, but then they and IRV got mad at each other and I havent posted a photo since.

Any way this seems pretty simple. My MH is parked up close to the fence so couldnt get a further pic of the front.
We'll see if the pics show up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAI 1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	560.3 KB
ID:	350540   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAI 2.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	453.8 KB
ID:	350541  

Denver, Colorado
Old 12-05-2021, 06:04 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If I'm seeing the previous pics right the opening for the air intake is in the very rear of the coach. That is a negative air pressure position. Or is it in the front which is a slight pressure increase? Either way a funnel at the opening end could increase more air to the engine.
Old 12-05-2021, 10:00 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
air intake MOD

max49,

I believe your pic shows that you only used the main intake 4" hole to create a ram air effect and it is pointing through the front air vent. With your set up you might get more water ingested into the intake.

You mentioned you don't get that much rain where you are normally traveling. I'm assuming then you are not concerned about the water ingesting if and when you might see some rain???

With your current set up you would be hard pressed to stop any rainwater if it did try to enter. With the set up some of us did you can swivel the funnel to the side or remove it if need be.

I can't honestly tell you my mileage has increased but I would state that the acceleration when needed has increased. Common sense also tells me removing the internal baffle on the drivers side of the filter box behind the 2" opening has allowed a 25% increase in the air filter flow as well as two larger funnels directing/forcing more air to enter into the engine can't possibly do anything but improve combustion and performance. I also enlarged the drain hole in the bottom of the filter box.

Since the original air filter MOD was completed we have driven through rain on several occasions and as of the last time there has been no water getting into the air filter. My guess is the distance the water would have to travel up the 4" PVC pipe makes it very difficult to get water into the intake.

The 4" PVC (left side) has an 8" funnel attached and the 2" on the right has a 5" funnel attached. Both can be easily swiveled away or removed so they wouldn't allow water to enter directly.

This MOD has been on for at least 3 or more years.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC03651 (1).JPG
Views:	23
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	350638   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03648 (1).JPG
Views:	18
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	350639  

Old 12-05-2021, 02:49 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
TeJay, I absolutely got my idea from yours and Crankshaft's posts. I studied your pictures you posted.
I know mine is less smooth but it definitly was easier to make. Do you think it will do any good at all? Also , where is this baffle you are talking about? What does it look like and how do you remove it?
If I do encounter rain, as long as I have a 5/16" nut driver, I can take the 4" ducting off the stock air box about as fast as I can get the hood unlocked and opened.
I looked in the airbox but I don't know where this baffle is.
I know, I'm wishful thinking, but I live at 5800' and always go higher in altitude. When I am at sea level i do get better gas mileage, maybe even 1+ MPG according to my Scan gauge.
So since we have thinner air, I was hoping this ram air scoop would help, even more at altitude, but IDK. I wish I would have had it last month on our 2300 mile trip most of which was 65 MPH or more.
Also my mod is 100% stand alone, no cutting or modifications have been made to the air box. *
Also TeJay, did you get after market exhaust or muffler? How bout the 5 Star or Ultra tune?

On edit, * Except for the 3- 1/2" holes I drilled in the bottom of the AB for drain holes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CAI 3.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	383.5 KB
ID:	350662   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAI 4.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	350663  

Name:	CAI 5.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	341.3 KB
ID:	350664  
Denver, Colorado
Old 12-05-2021, 04:49 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Max49,
The baffle runs front to back about 1/4 of the way from the drivers side (left) of the air box. Usually the air cleaners last 1/4 section is a different color as shown by Crankshaft in one of his pictures. That entire section of the air cleaner has very little air that goes through it as noticed by the different color of the filter. Take another look at the original post and you'll see what we are referring to.

I've not done anything with the intake or mufflers but did do the 5 STAR tune. If I were you I'd call 5 STAR and tell them you drive mostly at altitude and see if they can make you a slightly different tune. They will address specific issues if they can.

As a kid one of the things one could do is to flip the air cleaner lid over reducing the restriction of air flow. Any of the mentioned items like intake, exhaust etc are all designed to allow more and easier air flow through the intake/exhaust. Anything one can do to improve air flow has to positively affect the performance. It's not as simple as I'm making it. There is such a thing as a "Tuned Exhaust." Not unlike tuning say a wind instrument for a perfect pitch. When anything is traveling down or through pipes in an organ or impulses going through a radar wave guide they operate more efficiently if tuned. My AF career was working on land radar systems.

The better the tune the more efficient and effective the air flow in and out.

TeJay
Old 12-05-2021, 05:32 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok I found the dam or baffle you are talking about. What is the purpose of it? Is there a way to take it out or would I have to cut it out. Why did Ford put it in there?

Here is a picture of my air filter. The MH only has 10,200 miles on it and this is the first time I even looked at it. I was totally surprised at how filthy it looks.
The MH has neven even been on a dirt road. Is this normal for 10,000 miles? If not, is this an indication of a problem? I hope not but I have 2 more months of the 3yr, 36000 mile warranty.
Thanks for you help TeJay, and every one else.

On edit, could this be from all the fires we've had out west? If so, I wonder what our lungs look like
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CAI Air Filter.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	511.0 KB
ID:	350682  
Denver, Colorado
Old 12-05-2021, 06:16 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
My filter has never gotten that dirty. Looks like it may have gotten wet at some point.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:16 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hmm & yikes,

This a picture of Cranshafts AF from the original thread

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/perf...er-359077.html

I don't know how many miles is on this filter

I guess I better start changing mine at 5000 miles if it's always going to be this way
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Crankshaft's Air Filter.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	350692  
Denver, Colorado
Old 12-05-2021, 11:10 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Max49,

You can clearly see the last section which is cleaner because very little air flows through that less than 2" hole so that part of the filter is not used much.

You asked the same questions we all asked. What possible reason is there to baffle 1/4 of the filter?? How would it hurt to remove it? It has to be cut out. Mine has been gone as long as the MOD has been finished on the air box.

As stated! It might be the smoke from the fires in addition to some water which might cause it to look dirtier.

I change the filter usually every year in the Spring when we start traveling more. It's cheap insurance to keep the engine cleaner.
Old 12-05-2021, 11:17 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Max49,

We all asked the same questions: Why did Ford add the baffle and would it hurt to remove it?? We all took the baffle out and how or why would that cause any issues??? We all took the baffle out when those of us did the MOD. We couldn't think of a single reason to leave it in.

You can see that 1/4 of the filter is not used very much because it's usually much cleaner than the other 3/4 of the filter.

Yes you have to cut the baffle out but it's not to hard to do. I used an exacto knife and a wood chisel.

It's good insurance to change the air filter every 1 or 2 years.

Tags
air, air filter