Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-22-2021, 02:21 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
TT_Vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 146
Picking your brain on a Ford EEC-IV Brake on/off 536 code

I know you need to press the brake pedal after the engine code flashes (4 flashes for V8). I do this. Perhaps I'm doing it at the wrong time, I do not know. Has anyone else w/ a ford F53 EEC-IV (OBDI) car run a KOER and gt this code, perhaps the test isn't run on this calibration? I do not see anywhere the master cylinder pressure differential switch ties into the ECU so i don't think it uses that switch to determine BOO status..

  • I have 12V to brake switch
  • brake switch has continuity when switch pressed and when pedal is pressed (Properly adjusted)
  • Brake lights work and cruise disengages
  • I have continuity from brake switch to pin 2 (Circuit 511) at ECU. I believe this is the wire that should see 12V when the brake pedal is pressed during test and it does.

Thanks
Dave
__________________
1995 Fleetwood Southwind
TT_Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2021, 03:48 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Ohio
Posts: 826
Well I am back again... you are probably getting tired of me.. as for me.. I hook up my cheap ford obd1 scanner.. I get a code 10.. it is good for like 3mins.. so I have to go in.. turn and hold steering wheel 5sec.. turn on/off overdrive .. then hit brake.. then hit accelerator to floor..
I would think sence you counting flashes .. you would get a seperater flash..
My boo switch it wired on brake pedal.. ecm get signal there..
Then she starts flashing Chech eng light.. or I just read codes right off scanner..
And with cheap scanner you can manually put the eng into cylinder balance test if yours does not do it automatically..
As you know mine does cylinder balance test automatically when I connect scanner.. I believe you would have to manually trigger cylinder balance test.. if available..
1993 ford e150 with 5.8l.. I am tied up right now.. but I was looking in my library and have .. I think.. up to 7.5l moi v8.. any help?
Oh.. as always good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Problem is.. KOER.. I CAN'T remember off hand.. if I wait to end of when I reads out flashes or before.. I try and look it up.. if someone doesn't get back to YOU..
__________________
2000 southwind storm, workhorse custom chassis with 7.4l vortec
donr103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 04:11 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
TT_Vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by donr103 View Post
Well I am back again... you are probably getting tired of me.. as for me.. I hook up my cheap ford obd1 scanner.. I get a code 10.. it is good for like 3mins.. so I have to go in.. turn and hold steering wheel 5sec.. turn on/off overdrive .. then hit brake.. then hit accelerator to floor..
I would think sence you counting flashes .. you would get a seperater flash..
My boo switch it wired on brake pedal.. ecm get signal there..
Then she starts flashing Chech eng light.. or I just read codes right off scanner..
And with cheap scanner you can manually put the eng into cylinder balance test if yours does not do it automatically..
As you know mine does cylinder balance test automatically when I connect scanner.. I believe you would have to manually trigger cylinder balance test.. if available..
1993 ford e150 with 5.8l.. I am tied up right now.. but I was looking in my library and have .. I think.. up to 7.5l moi v8.. any help?
Thanks I'm aware of how the BOO circuit works. Scanner or jumper of STI/DLC and count CEL flashes are the same process so that is irrelevant. There is no separator flash for KOER as there is nothing to separate. KOEO has a separator for current and continuous memory codes. . The process i'm using (and which I believe to be the norm) is to start WARM car, wait for engine code (4 flashes for me), within 2 second press OD switch and press brake. Wait for signal for goose test and hit accelerator to test TPS. Wait for codes to spit out (They will be displayed twice)

Batch fire cannot do cylinder balance, only SEFI. The wheel turning is only applicable to those w/ a PS pressure switch and not relevant with this code. I'm not sure what in your library you are asking is of any help to me?

Dave
__________________
1995 Fleetwood Southwind
TT_Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 04:16 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Ohio
Posts: 826
So what I came up with .. very long pause... then just one blink..
SO KOER.. after cylinder retrieval code.. 4 flashes.. then half turn p/s sensor test, next boo, next COS, OVERDRIVE CANCEL SWITCH.. then with in 20sec cel flashes once.. push accelerator pedal to floor.. and quickly release .. good luck..
__________________
2000 southwind storm, workhorse custom chassis with 7.4l vortec
donr103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 04:23 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
TT_Vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by donr103 View Post
So what I came up with .. very long pause... then just one blink..
SO KOER.. after cylinder retrieval code.. 4 flashes.. then half turn p/s sensor test, next boo, next COS, OVERDRIVE CANCEL SWITCH.. then with in 20sec cel flashes once.. push accelerator pedal to floor.. and quickly release .. good luck..
Yes that is correct but not exactly my question. My question to you is, you have a 2000 correct? Shouldn't that be OBDII? If it is in fact EEC-IV (OBDI) you've never gotten a 536 code during KOER??

Dave
__________________
1995 Fleetwood Southwind
TT_Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 04:42 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Ohio
Posts: 826
Sorry.. I am very old man.. misunderstanding is my middle name.. I was basically out lining whole process.. and figured you were smart enough to get the specific information you wanted.. also.. I own many vehicles.. any one would know I was not talking about 2000 workhorse..
As in many previous posts with you.. I told you as above.. 1993 ford e150..
__________________
2000 southwind storm, workhorse custom chassis with 7.4l vortec
donr103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 04:56 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
TT_Vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by donr103 View Post
Sorry.. I am very old man.. misunderstanding is my middle name.. I was basically out lining whole process.. and figured you were smart enough to get the specific information you wanted.. also.. I own many vehicles.. any one would know I was not talking about 2000 workhorse..
As in many previous posts with you.. I told you as above.. 1993 ford e150..
Yeah an e150 is a whole nother beast I should have specified but that wouldn't pertain to my question. I forgot this forum is for ALL older Ford chassis MHs. I want to know if anyone w/ an EEC-IV 460 F53 chassis has run a KOER and gotten the 536.
Dave
__________________
1995 Fleetwood Southwind
TT_Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 05:27 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
subford's Avatar
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Easton, Ks
Posts: 2,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT_Vert View Post
I want to know if anyone w/ an EEC-IV 460 F53 chassis has run a KOER and gotten the 536.
Dave
Yes I have ran the KOER with my EEC-IV 460 F53 chassis and no I do not recall ever getting the KOER 536 code.


But it has been a while.
So I will if I get time go out and run the KOER test on my F53 460 maybe today.
I do not think I ever ran the test by counting the flashes. I have always used the code reader or scanner.
Do you have a video of the flashes so we can count them?
__________________
Bill
1995 COACHMEN Santara 350FL on a 1994 Ford F53
subford@gmail.com
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 05:43 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 380
U don't know if you have a tachometer or not, but a good ear will substitute. One thing the PCM uses the brake switch for is to unlock the torque converter. So if you get into 3rd or 4th gear, undr light acceleration, if you lightly touch the brake pedal with your left foot (so as to light the brake lights or disengage cruise, but not apply any braking) you should be able discern an rpm rise of 200 rpm or so as the torque converter disengages.
mpaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:56 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
TT_Vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by subford View Post
Yes I have ran the KOER with my EEC-IV 460 F53 chassis and no I do not recall ever getting the KOER 536 code.


But it has been a while.
So I will if I get time go out and run the KOER test on my F53 460 maybe today.
I do not think I ever ran the test by counting the flashes. I have always used the code reader or scanner.
Do you have a video of the flashes so we can count them?
I don't but I've probably run this test 500 times in the last 25 years over various EEC-IV cars/trucks so I'm 1000% that is the code. I've pulled codes on this RV alone about 50 times this week while tracking down the EGR code I fixed on Tuesday.

If you do run codes I'd love to hear your feedback on if you got a 536. As a test, could you also pull codes once WITHOUT pressing the brake to see if it does in fact generate a 536 for you?

Dave
__________________
1995 Fleetwood Southwind
TT_Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:07 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
TT_Vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaton View Post
U don't know if you have a tachometer or not, but a good ear will substitute. One thing the PCM uses the brake switch for is to unlock the torque converter. So if you get into 3rd or 4th gear, undr light acceleration, if you lightly touch the brake pedal with your left foot (so as to light the brake lights or disengage cruise, but not apply any braking) you should be able discern an rpm rise of 200 rpm or so as the torque converter disengages.
Well i do know for a fact the wire to the ECM is good given I checked continuity from the brake switch to pin 2 of the ECM. Not sure what using the brake to disengage the (TCC) converter lockup will tell me.

Dave
__________________
1995 Fleetwood Southwind
TT_Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 02:53 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
subford's Avatar
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Easton, Ks
Posts: 2,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT_Vert View Post

If you do run codes I'd love to hear your feedback on if you got a 536. As a test, could you also pull codes once WITHOUT pressing the brake to see if it does in fact generate a 536 for you?

Dave
OK I ran the KOER self-test with a code reader and did not do anything, no pressing anything.
I got 538R, 536R and 632R.


Then I ran the KOER self-test and did all of the pressing at the ID code (pressing the stalk button & pushing on the brake pedal) and with the 10 code I did a Throttle goose.
I got a 111 code.
__________________
Bill
1995 COACHMEN Santara 350FL on a 1994 Ford F53
subford@gmail.com
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 02:59 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
TT_Vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by subford View Post
OK I ran the KOER self-test with a code reader and did not do anything, no pressing anything.
I got 538R, 536R and 532R.


Then I ran the KOER self-test and did all of the pressing at the ID code (pressing the stalk button & pushing on the brake pedal) and with the 10 code I did a Throttle goose.
I got a 111 code.
OK that tells me it's a valid test for our vehicles. Any chance you could peek under your dash by your feet and tell me the 4 digit code in big bold letters on the ECU? I assume you meant code 632 not 532 for the last one? At what point were you pushing on the brake pedal? Right after engine ID code? Did you press the brake before or after the OD switch (Not that that should even matter).

You have a gasoline 460 right?

Thanks
Dave
__________________
1995 Fleetwood Southwind
TT_Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 02:59 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
subford's Avatar
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Easton, Ks
Posts: 2,754
Yes 632 R.
__________________
Bill
1995 COACHMEN Santara 350FL on a 1994 Ford F53
subford@gmail.com
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
brake, ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EEC PORT LOCATION on Ď94 RAMBLER Mr.J Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum 24 05-31-2019 06:28 PM
EEC-IV KAM no power House Husband Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum 4 10-07-2015 10:43 AM
1993 Fleetwood EEC 1V Module..where is it??? Stevewb New Member Check-In 6 08-10-2012 08:00 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.