Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2020, 05:39 PM   #1

Plugs

Have 2001 v10 noticed some of the plug boots cracking cause of age got new coils with boots , would you replace plugs noting the problem with this year plugs. Have under 50 thousand miles on it runs very well it’s just 21years old
stew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2020, 05:59 PM   #2

Nope. Leave them be.

Ford says they are good until over 100,000 miles.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:05 PM   #3

Plugs

Twinboats is right. Plus you risk damaging the threads in the heads. Notoriously bad about ejecting plugs after a plug change. Not enough threads. Those heads were updated in ‘03 to address that issue. But you probably knew that already.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:26 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
As someone who lost a plug, I would say change or retorque to 28 lbs. our # 4 plug blew out. Most of the time it is the #4 plug. If you change plugs make sure they are torqued to 28 lbs. our shop never had a plug blow if it had been torqued to 28 lbs.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
As someone who lost a plug, I would say change or retorque to 28 lbs. our # 4 plug blew out. Most of the time it is the #4 plug. If you change plugs make sure they are torqued to 28 lbs. our shop never had a plug blow if it had been torqued to 28 lbs.

Have not worked on the Ford V 10, but have LOTS of experience with installing spark plugs in aluminum heads (air cooled VW's).

We always used anti-seize on the threads before torquing the plugs (yes to slightly less torque than the "dry" spec).

What is Ford's recommendation visa via anti-seize?
Old 12-05-2020, 10:58 AM   #6

Plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Have not worked on the Ford V 10, but have LOTS of experience with installing spark plugs in aluminum heads (air cooled VW's).

We always used anti-seize on the threads before torquing the plugs (yes to slightly less torque than the "dry" spec).

You are definitely supposed to use anti-seize. And my understanding is the torque is 14 foot pounds not 28 and some say is supposed to be done while the engine is hot.
And although it’s aluminum heads it’s still different than most as in there is only four threads or so, so on top of all the precautions there is the added poor engineered product, And potential that it will pull what’s left of the threads out just changing them. So my recommendation is don’t change them unless it’s missing and coilpacks and wires don’t fix it.
Old 12-05-2020, 11:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post

They don't seize, they blow out and rip out the two threads that hold them in.

The latter V10s plugs broke in half because the used more threads but 2 piece plugs.
Old 12-05-2020, 11:18 AM   #8

A good friend just went through this on his 2000 V10 Excursion. I warned him to only change coil packs and to leave the plugs be. His shop he’s used forever “swore” They knew how to change his plugs and have never had one spit out. Long story short 2weeks later number one and number 2 spit out he had them repaired by my suggested shop and he sold his truck not knowing if eight more were going to eventually fail. The shop owner could not even tell him what he torqued them at and would not warranty the work so now he does not use them anymore.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:28 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
You are definitely supposed to use anti-seize. And my understanding is the torque is 14 foot pounds not 28 and some say is supposed to be done while the engine is hot.
And although it’s aluminum heads it’s still different than most as in there is only four threads or so, so on top of all the precautions there is the added poor engineered product, And potential that it will pull what’s left of the threads out just changing them. So my recommendation is don’t change them unless it’s missing and coilpacks and wires don’t fix it.
According to my 2006 shop manual, torque is 25 ft lbs.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
According to my 2006 shop manual, torque is 25 ft lbs.
2006 is after the plug blow out problem was fixed, by a redesigning the head.

You can't just use the specs of a 2006 on the older engines.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:47 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
2006 is after the plug blow out problem was fixed, by a redesigning the head.

You can't just use the specs of a 2006 on the older engines.
True; but I did find this regarding a company that fixes those heads for a living. They recommend 28 ft lbs. See question 51.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:30 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
I normally say to follow factory specs. However this is a known problem. The change to 28 ft lbs is a proven repair. I have never seen a plug failure using 28 lbs. torque.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I normally say to follow factory specs. However this is a known problem. The change to 28 ft lbs is a proven repair. I have never seen a plug failure using 28 lbs. torque.

Well that’s good to know because in the past no one was sure if the problem was over-torque or under.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:33 AM   #14

Left plug’s alone just changed all the coils and boots
stew1 is offline   Reply With Quote