Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2021, 09:30 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Popping out of cruise control

I don't want this to devolve into a discussion of using cruise or not using cruise please.
I use my cruise, and on long uphills, the road speed gets down to about 50, and then the cruise will disengage. This happens all the time, but only on uphills, and when the rig is slowing down because of the climb. I'm guessing it's because the transmission has run out of downshifts.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2021, 09:38 AM   #2

I think it's because of the cruise controls inability to maintain the set speed. You might want to check with the chassis or coach manufacturer, but this does not seem unreasonable to me. I might just drop my cruise setting down to about the speed you can maintain.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 09:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
I don't want this to devolve into a discussion of using cruise or not using cruise please.
I use my cruise, and on long uphills, the road speed gets down to about 50, and then the cruise will disengage. This happens all the time, but only on uphills, and when the rig is slowing down because of the climb. I'm guessing it's because the transmission has run out of downshifts.
My guess is that you are correct, but I have not had that experience nor have I heard of it but that's because of the reasons you don't wish to discuss.

Am I correct is understanding that once the cruise is tripped to OFF, you then manually downshift to finish the hill climb?
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 09:39 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Two motor homes (gassers) and they both did it. I've had cars do it too but not as often. My current MH does it. On my cars engine vacuum was used to control throttle. I assume Gas MH engines are the same.
Old 04-30-2021, 09:42 AM   #5

Transmission wouldn't be out of downshifts at 50 mph .

I would think it has more to do with the cruise system holding the engine at WOT ( Wide Open Throttle ) but you should get feed back from other Ford chassis owners soon , to see if the situation is normal , or if you have a one off.

EDIT: Well multiple post while I was typing ... boy I type slow.
Old 04-30-2021, 09:43 AM   #6

Bad Vacuum Supply?

I have just been reading some threads on 'loss' of vacuum for gas engines and the consequences. They all were saying the engine would give trouble on long inclines, no one mentioned cruise control, but I wonder if the cruise or transmission could be tied into the vacuum system?
Common causes were rotten hoses or failed vacuum canisters.
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 09:44 AM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
I highly suspect that all vehicles do that as a safety control. My last two Chevrolet 2500's and a Ford F250 before that, and now my E450 Class C, all disengaged the cruise if the current speed approaches ~10 mph less than the set speed. This is actually mentioned in my Ford E450 owners manual. I would suggest that this is normal on yours as well. ~Craig
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 10:04 AM   #8

Another Thread on this Subject

Been discussed before.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/crui...ls-290271.html
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 10:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
I have just been reading some threads on 'loss' of vacuum for gas engines and the consequences. They all were saying the engine would give trouble on long inclines, no one mentioned cruise control, but I wonder if the cruise or transmission could be tied into the vacuum system?
Common causes were rotten hoses or failed vacuum canisters.
When gas engines switched over to TPS ( Throttle Position Sensors ) and stepper motors to control the throttle body , they moved away from , throttle cables and vacuum actuated cruise systems . Speed control function now internal in the engine ECM ( Electronic Control Module ).
Old 04-30-2021, 10:44 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you monitor the actual throttle plate opening when cruise is engaged you will notice that on ford systems the cruise control will never get to 100% WOT, cruise control only opens the throttle to approximately 85 to 90% the last 10% is when a "forced downshift" happens. Yes as other people have posted, there is a safety feature that drops the cruise control out after a 10 to 15 mph spread is seen from set speed to actual speed.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 10:51 AM   #11

Cruise cuts out if it senses a 10 MPH drop in speed.

Step on the gas as the speed drops, forcing a down shift, and it will hold the set speed.

Just turn up the radio, it will be singing the V10 high notes.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Step on the gas as the speed drops, forcing a down shift, and it will hold the set speed.

Exactly.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 09:25 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

Tried that, it wouldn't shift down again, even with the pedal to the metal.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
Tried that, it wouldn't shift down again, even with the pedal to the metal.
Check with 5 star. May be left out of the time.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise control