Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2020, 01:55 PM   #1

Power switch for back up lights '14 F53 26K

I want to power up back up lights with out key. I have done on our other motorhome, via park neutral switch. looking for location of switch. Is it on trans or column? There is a large connector on pass side of trans.
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q 26K.
MacGyver612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2020, 08:17 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver612 View Post
I want to power up back up lights with out key. I have done on our other motorhome, via park neutral switch. looking for location of switch. Is it on trans or column? There is a large connector on pass side of trans.
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q 26K.
Neutral switch is the large black plastic switch on the drivers side transmission on the earlier f53 chassis.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:22 PM   #3

From what I remember there is nothing on the drivers side. There is something on the passenger side.
MacGyver612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:33 PM   #4

MacGyver612-

The reverse signal may come from the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), which is a computer, rather than from a sensor on the transmission. See the attached diagram, for my coach, built on a 2007 chassis. You can pick up the signal at the under-dash fuse block ("CJB") or in the Ford F81D-14A318-AC pigtail.

You should add a "signature" to your profile. It contains whatever info you want; most people put info about their coach there, so they don't have to type it into each message. Instructions for adding a signature are here.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2007 Ford F-53 Backup Light Wiring.pdf (58.0 KB, 27 views)
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:23 AM   #5

I have done something like this on my '04 F53 based motorhome.

Summary:
I tapped into the wires back near the back of the chassis that to the backup and utility lights.
I use diodes to isolate things.

Details:
I used some diodes and made the backup lights come on with the utility light above the sewer bay.

I copied what folks do to late model Chevy pickups. They use a diode to tie the backup lights to the cargo light on the back of the cab. I happen to have used a pickup third brake light/cargo light to replace my faded third brake light. Got me thinking about how to to use the cargo lights. Tied them in with the backup lights. The diodes keep current from backfeeding to the transmission/PCM/wherever else it goes, and made it so only the lights on the back come on in reverse.

(I also added a switch by my steering wheel. I can now turn on my utility/backup lights from the drivers seat. Winnebago should have done that. Hated finding the switch in the sewer bay in the dark.)

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:41 AM   #6

If you put a separate switch in the line you should use a switch with a pilot light on it so you will know or remember the BU lights are on. In some states (NY for example) it is a law.
This is so you don't inadvertently leave your BU lights on when you are travelling down a highway blinding those behind you.

Tags
f53, light, lights, power, switch