Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2015, 04:51 AM   #1

Question Preparing for a long road trip - mechanical maintenance

I have a 2003 Monaco Rogue with the Ford E450 engine. It has 32k miles on it. I am preparing for a 2 1/2 cross country trip and want to make sure I have all the proper maintenance done to my RV.
In my users manual there isn't any information about periodic type maintenance that should be done. I am assuming I should do the following:
1) Change oil
2) Change transmission fluid
3) Check brakes
4) Grease differential?
5) Anything else?

For item 2 (transmission fluid change), will I need to replace the pan seal, filter located in the pan and the transmission fluid? Anything else?

Thanks.
tmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2015, 05:03 AM   #2

We have done a lot of traveling and I have had a few more items done on mine.
1. Changed serpentine belt and tensioner.
2. Flushed brake fluid.
3. Drained and replaced rear differential oil.
4. New fuel filter.
5. New air filter and clean MAF.
6. I also replaced plugs and wires when I had Ultra Power done.
How old are your tires and batteries? I would check the dates on those as well and replace if needed.
Enjoy your trip.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
We have done a lot of traveling and I have had a few more items done on mine.
1. Changed serpentine belt and tensioner.
2. Flushed brake fluid.
3. Drained and replaced rear differential oil.
4. New fuel filter.
5. New air filter and clean MAF.
6. I also replaced plugs and wires when I had Ultra Power done.
How old are your tires and batteries? I would check the dates on those as well and replace if needed.
Enjoy your trip.
Tires are good - 2 year old.
What is Ultra Power?
Where did you find instructions on changing the transmission fluid and rear differential oil?
Thanks
tmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:58 AM   #4

4. Include grease all zert fitting, ujoints ect.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:13 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaxx View Post
I have a 2003 Monaco Rogue with the Ford E450 engine. It has 32k miles on it. I am preparing for a 2 1/2 cross country trip and want to make sure I have all the proper maintenance done to my RV.
In my users manual there isn't any information about periodic type maintenance that should be done. I am assuming I should do the following:
1) Change oil
2) Change transmission fluid
3) Check brakes
4) Grease differential?
5) Anything else?

For item 2 (transmission fluid change), will I need to replace the pan seal, filter located in the pan and the transmission fluid? Anything else?

Thanks.
How many miles on the transmission? The manual should have service intervals for all of the major components. Unless you are close to the recommended servicing of the transmission you may be wasting your money. If you have been using the unit in a harsh environment the service interval will be shorter.

According to my F450 manual the rear end contains synthetic oil and is good for the life of the rear end. Not comfortable with that statement but when I check the level the oil is clean. I will likely change the rear end oil around 150,000 miles.

Tags
maintenance