Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2009, 08:49 PM   #1

Problems trying to changing air filter....

I figured I would save some time and money changing the air filter on my 2007 Four Winds Magellan with a 2006 F53 chassis, 6.8 liter V10.

1) Got the hood opened up.
2) Disconnect Mass Air flow sensor connector from the air cleaner housing lid.
3) Loosen air cleaner outlet pipe-to-air cleaner housing lid clamp.
4) Disconnect air cleaner outlet pipe from air cleaner housing lid......NOT

I have been unable to budge the air cleaner outlet pipe. It does not move up or down or back or right or left.

Disconnecting the 3 air cleaner lid-to-air cleaner base clamps only allows me to raise the lid about an inch in the front only. To change the filter the lid needs to be raised up a few inches and that means getting it off the outlet pipe.

Any suggestions......

Dick
2007 Four Winds Magellan
2006 F53 chassis 6.8 liter V10
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2009, 07:40 AM   #2

I've had the same problem. Never got the pipe disconnected. Eventually just worked the cover up far enough to get the old out and the new in. As you raise on the front edge of housing cover, trying sliding the unit forward. This allows the rear tabs to slide out of the housing and gains a couple of inches.

Good luck.

Richard
Old 04-24-2009, 11:33 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply Richard.

At least now I know someone else has also had the same problem. I thought I have tried to move it forward to release the rear tabs more without much movement. But knowing that you made it work that way I'll try it again. Right now have got to get some yard work done.

Thanks.

Dick
Old 05-23-2009, 09:10 PM   #4

Hello Kash,

I had the same problem and avoided changing the air filter until I went to RV show in Tampa and talked to Ford Rep. Using the heel of your hand strike the filter cover after releasing the clamps, driving the cover to the rear of the engine freeing the cover from the bottom and allowing you to extract the filter.

Hope this helps!
pyoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:17 PM   #5

OK Pyoots,

I did eventually get it off by a lot of prying and pushing and finally forcing it out of the rear tabs.

It was going to be just as difficult to put it back on. So I opened up the drivers side rear tab hole and that really helped it go back on. I also assume it will help get it off the next time I need to change the filter.

We are heading to Alaska in 30 days and I'm trying to get ahead of the curve on filters and such. Estimate about 12,500 mile round trip. Hope the gas prices don't get to high.

Thanks for your input.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:19 PM   #6

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
OK Pyoots,

I did eventually get it off by a lot of prying and pushing and finally forcing it out of the rear tabs.

It was going to be just as difficult to put it back on. So I opened up the drivers side rear tab hole and that really helped it go back on. I also assume it will help get it off the next time I need to change the filter.

We are heading to Alaska in 30 days and I'm trying to get ahead of the curve on filters and such. Estimate about 12,500 mile round trip. Hope the gas prices don't get to high.

Thanks for your input.
Great info thanks
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote